Elminster in Myth Drannor (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #2)

Elminster in Myth Drannor (Forgotten Realms: Elminster #2)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  2,174 ratings  ·  29 reviews
From the FORGOTTEN REALMS series of fantasy novels, a sequel to ELMINSTER: THE MAKING OF A MAGE, in which Elminster journeys to the legendary elven city to learn their ways and their magic.
Published January 12th 1998 by Wizards of the Coast

To ask other readers questions about Elminster in Myth Drannor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elminster in Myth Drannor

Doppelganger
Elminster in Myth Drannor is a story about a developing, somewhat naive but powerful mage that is sent to Cormanthor to aid the city in some manner deemed necessary by his god, Mystra. I think it was an overall great story resulting in something that had nothing but good willed intentions for Cormanthor (Myth Drannor). Although good intentions are often met with hardcore opposition, as is the case in this novel.

While I enjoyed the book and the story, I think it could have been handled in an over...more
Jesse
I don't remember a lot about this book...and it really wasn't that long ago that I read it...

As I've said before, I'm not the biggest fan of Ed Greenwood (but the more I read, the more I am enjoying it....whether this is due to me becoming more accustomed to his writing style, or that his books are better writen down the line...I don't know), but I really struggled to get through this book.

I will say, on its behalf, that there was more of the history of forgotten realms in this book than in any...more
Forgotten Realms Queen
Not too shabby. We join Elminster, Old Mage and the last Prince of Athalantar as he enters the elven city of Cormanthor and helps them to weave the magic of the first of the great Mtyhals and transform the city forever into Myth Drannor. A place destined in Realms history to be a place of great magic, beauty, and terror.

This is the beginning of the end of a great elven age here. Cormanthor, long walled off from the rest of the world, opens their doors to the 'lesser' races, and in time this atte...more
Jeffrey
Much better than I thought it would be. Had a few minor issues with it that I won't bother to go into, mainly because what this book did well, it did very well indeed... Namely keep me entertained and wanting to find out what would happen next.
Stephanie
I have never disliked a book more. I have no idea what the point of this book was. there were so many characters that served literally no purpose. I cannot think of a single part of this book that I actually liked. the character's choices were beyond dumb and yea. it really sucked. If the rest of the books in this series are like this, it will take me all year to read them because they suck so bad
Morgan
While I won't say it's the best writing, it's not bad. The problem I had with this book is it feels has if a huge chunk was cut out in editing. The story goes along at a reasonable pace for the first 2/3's, then for reasons I don't understand everything just jumps and a ton of unexplained things just begin happening. Perhaps if I read it again, I'd feel less like the ending was rushed. *shrug*
Zachariah
As is the case with many goodreads, rereading this book brought back memories of the events of my life surrounding the first perusal.

This was a wonderful expository portrayal of the ancient elves of Myth Drannor. Wonderful insight into the minds of said race. Read to the end, and you'll even find out where the name originates.

I recommend this wholeheartedly to any D&D fanatic.
Paul
Elminster travels by foot to Cormanthor, finding a dying elf along the way Elminster promises to fulfill the elf's last wish. Doing so takes Elminster to Cormanthor, where the king grants Elminster the title of Armathor, a knight of Cormanthor. Elminster finds himself as a forced apprentice to an elf for twelve summers learning how to feel magic and learning to bend it to his will.
Matt
I'm a Forgotten Realms Fanboy if there ever was one. So judge accordingly. Greenwood is brilliant. The setting is ridiculously rich. Those outside the club will probably get lost in the countless elven names. The story attempts to paint a picture of a people, so it's bound to get hairy.

Regardless. Amazing. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Matt

Regardless. Amazing. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Greg Strandberg
I didn't like this book as much as the first one, but it was still good. I actually went and re-read it a few years ago (I first read it in high school) and I thought it was better on the second go-round.

I will say that this was the last book I read in the series as I kind of got the impression they started to go downhill after this one.
Pierre
I had a love/hate relationship with this book thats very hard to put into words.

I liked:
-The detailed descriptions of spell casting and fight scenes.
-The writing drags you into the story and keeps you at the edge of your seat wanting more.
-The detailed political plotting
I disliked:
-Portrayal of elves as evil "surface drow".
C.A. Perez
Much improved from the first book though there was a lot of writing that bewildered me. Also a differing opinion of elves, one where they were racist, genocidal, almost nazi-like, was original too me. There's too much of a fascination in their perfection instead of a look at their ferocity. Excellent work Ed!
Michael Smith
A very good story and quite pleasing. I must say that I got a bit confused with all the different bit part elves that were mentioned. Far too many names to keep up with. I just sorta trudged through the "who was that again?" elven name I couldn't remember. In any case, fun story. On to the next :)
Josh
Excellent read. Mr Greenwood has one thing down pat for sure and that's elves.. His description of them and their lives and homes in the huge forest is awesome. Really liking this series. El is turning into a very powerful wizard with these elven spells he is learning . On to book 3..\m/
Tejus
After reading 'The making of a Mage' I was expecting something along the same lines in terms of quality of writing and story-telling, unfortunately that was not the case.

Only one word can really describe this book...Confusing!
Peter
May 29, 2011 Peter rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dungeons and dragons fans
Recommended to Peter by: my best friend
Will Hopkins
Aug 08, 2010 Will Hopkins rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who play Forgotten Realms
Shelves: fantasy
An interesting story from the creator of the Forgotten Realms. Elminster is an interesting guy, and Greenwood's story gives a bit of background on both the sage and the Realms. Recommended for Forgotten Realms gamers.
Mark
Well written book that has a good pace. The story still skips a bit, like the previous book, but not to the same degree.
Justin
love the story of elminster but the writing style is very hard to follow at times, it really seems to skip around alot
Kelsey
Repetitive, with characters that were almost parodies. Unfortunately typical of Ed Greenwood's writing.
Julie
Elminster in Myth Drannor (Forgotten Realms: Elminster) by Ed Greenwood (1998)
Chad
Good history in the elves of Faerun
Andrew
i've learned that elves can be more cruel than people
  • Evermeet: Island of the Elves
  • Forsaken House (Forgotten Realms: The Last Mythal, #1)
  • Black Wolf (Sembia #4)
  • Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #5)
  • Heirs of Prophecy (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #5)
  • The Lost Library of Cormanthyr (Forgotten Realms: Lost Empires, #1)
  • The Halls Of Stormweather (Sembia #1)
  • Sands of the Soul (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #6)
  • Prince of Lies (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #4)
  • Queen of the Depths (Forgotten Realms: The Priests, #4)
  • Blackstaff (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #1)
  • Darkvision (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #3)
  • Mistress of the Night (Forgotten Realms: The Priests, #2)
  • Crypt of the Shadowking (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #6)
20513
Ed Greenwood is the creator of the Forgotten Realms fantasy world, which became the setting for his home D&D game in 1975. Play still continues in this long-running campaign, and Ed also keeps busy producing Realmslore for various TSR publications.

Ed has published over two hundred articles in Dragon magazine and Polyhedron newszine, is a lifetime charter member of the Role Playing Game Associa...more
More about Ed Greenwood...
Elminster: The Making of a Mage (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #1) Spellfire (Shandril's Saga #1) The Temptation of Elminster (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #3) Crown of Fire (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #9; Shandril's Saga, #2) Elminster in Hell (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #4)