Green This!: Greening Your Cleaning (Green This, #1)

Green This!: Greening Your Cleaning (Green This #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Change the way you clean and keep your family's home wholesome and healthy with the help of expert and activist Deirdre Imus.

We all grew up thinking chemical smells like bleach and ammonia signaled "clean." But as Deirdre Imus reveals, some of the chemicals we use to maintain our homes are doing us and our families much more harm than good. In Greening Your Cleaning, the...more
Published April 10th 2007 by Simon & Schuster

Christina
Informative book about why chemicals in our cleaners are dangerous (especially for our children) and how we can clean in a safer, more ecologically friendly way.

It was interesting, but over half of the book is about all the bad things chemicals in our cleaning supplies can do to us. One of the main recommendations was to buy 'organic' cleaners. There was some information on making your own cleaners, but that was what I hoped most of the book would be about. Motivating, but not as helpful as I ho...more
Alison
I didn't care for this book too much. I was looking for recipes and practical tips on how to clean more naturally, and what I got was a deluge of information on toxins (which I'd already briefed myself on) and a continuing plug for the author's line of cleaning products (so annoying!). I think there are better books on green cleaning out there.
Amanda
Lame, lame, and totally lame. Readers need to dig through the author's shameless self-promotion and recommendations of expensive products to find any practical tips.
Christie
I ended up doing a lot of skimming in this one. Too much "your cleaning products are filled with TOXINS!!!!!!111111!!!" just gets annoying after awhile. Half the book was why cleaning products are toxic and all the bad things they can do to you. Well, sometimes you have to make a choice. Do I want to spend an hour scrubbing burned-on grime off of my gas stove grates with a nylon sponge, or do I want to use oven cleaner and get it done with far less effort and better results? I don't have an hour...more
Mr. MacConnell
Sep 10, 2008 Mr. MacConnell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody - especially parents
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is worth while for anybody who has realized just how inundated our lives are with unregulated hazardous chemicals - often known or suspected carcinogens, neuro-toxins and endocrine (hormone) disruptors.

The fact is that many, if not all, of our daily cleaning and personal care products contain these toxins. And while these toxins have the potential to affect us greatly, they affect children even more. And, as it happens, the environment usually gets screwed too.

Keith
Jan 07, 2008 Keith rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody - especially parents
Shelves: non-fiction

Mr. MacConnell

Meredeth
Apr 19, 2007 Meredeth marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Ashleigh
Ashleigh and I discovered this gem within one day of each other and both plan to read it, or at least browse it at our local bookshop. If you watch that Ed Begley, Jr. show or you happened to see An Inconvenient Truth, your inner environmental conscience starts to mess with you...

Here's the B&N blurb:
"We all grew up thinking chemical smells like bleach and ammonia signaled "clean." But as Deirdre Imus reveals, some of the chemicals we use to maintain our homes are doing us and our families m...more
Kim
Sep 04, 2007 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I can sum up my reaction to this book with the following phrase: Holy crap! It scared the heck out of me with its message of doom. Basically, all the products we use to clean our homes and even wear on our bodies are full of toxic chemicals that most likely are the cause of increased cases of cancer and childhood diseases. Deirdre Imus has remodeled her entire life to rid herself of the chemicals, and the book is her instruction manual for us to do the same.

She concedes that the whole thing is...more
Sally
With this last pregnancy, my "mild" chemical sensitivity was kicked up to "totally annoying." I can't be around perfume, bleach, bathroom and kitchen cleaners, etc. Nor can I use anti-persperant, but that's another story. This book talks about how dangerous all those cleaners are, not just for people who are bothered by them, but for all people, especially our young children. She gives practical suggestions, which are few, because you really don't need all that much to keep a clean house. And ye...more
Cheri
Aug 12, 2008 Cheri rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: green newbies and superficial, anxious parents
More infomercial for the author's cleaning products than green clean how-to, this book felt flat and uninspiring.

Too much background noise about toxins and the oh-so-wonderful things the author is doing as a celebrity. Not nearly enough practical how-to.

That said, many of the "recipes" are straightforward and easy to apply. In fact, they're all things my mom was doing back in the '70s and '80s, and she wasn't a hippie. For me, it didn't feel fresh.
Lesli
I did read all her cancer statistics, because I knew they would only stress me out. As weird as it sounds, until my husband told me last year, I had no idea vinegar cleaned. And until I read this book, I also had no idea, that Windex might have toxic chemicals in it, the bright blue color never indicated that too me. I always thought it was a mild cleaner safe for anything. It was a good read because I was looking for less ways to have my family ingest chemicals.
Ryan
A friend of mine introduced me to this book and it changed the way I care for my house and the people that live in it. I made small changes to adopt a "green cleaning" state-of-mind since it can all be a little overwhelming at first. Once implemented, the green way of life is so simple and the fact that it is so inexpensive makes it very gratifying to me. This book just makes sense to me.
☆Brittany☆
An AMAZING book. I *highly* recommend everyone to read this book. Full of useful/helpful information on what is in our cleaning products & how harmful they are to us & the environment.

She also gives green tips on how to either make your own products to clean with or if you are too lazy to make your own, then she lists helpful books & websites to visit to buy green/nontoxic products.
Mindy
Jan 22, 2008 Mindy added it
Great reference guide to those who really want to try and make a difference in the environment and their own home starting with their home. As someone who has a dog and cat, family members (including my husband) who have allergies and just for our overall health it has great tips for reducing cleaning pollutants and helps you save money too.
Robin
I did like this book better than the Go Green, Live Rich book. I found the information more interesting and am somewhat motivated to buy "Green" cleaning products. This lady is a true believer though and passionate about her cause. Good thing I spose, she's done a lot of good. She offers some really great tips.
Tamara
This book has some good insights and recipes, but I have a list of recipes for home cleaning products I acquired from a community class that I really love. If anyone wants them, let me know and I'll email them out. They are so, so cheap to create and work really well--without all the gas masks and fumes. :)
Carol
This book was well researched and explains why chemicals in daily cleaning products we all use in our home are harmful to our families. I would disagree with other reviewers who felt that she was only trying to sell her line of cleaning products. This was a very good book, although it needs an index.
Annie
I gave this book 4 stars only because of the great ideas to clean things w/ green products. The advice is good, but rest of the book wasn't the most well written. You pretty much can clean anything w/ baking soda, lemon juice, and vinegar. It's scary about the chemicals that are in cleaning products.
Chrystal
I wasn't as impressed with this book as I hoped I'd be. I wanted to see more strategies/ideas/recipes for cleaning but I felt more like I was being lectured. I learned a lot of good things that I will use, for sure, but I wouldn't go out and buy this book. Definitely a library read.
Brandie
Pretty good book. Quick, easy read. Lots of good info. But, it was pretty much all about cleaning and some info was repeated (too many times IMO). A great resource book I think. But, I'd rather have a book that had more than just cleaning info in it to own.
Siona
Helpful ideas for how to eliminate toxins from your environment and green your cleaning. My favorite tip is to put a few drops of essential oils on a tissue and then to put it in your vacuum cleaner bag. It infuses your entire house naturally.
Lindsay
I love most of the ideas of using natural, non toxic cleaners from this book. She is, however, a little on the radical side for this eco-friendly beginner! I may take just a few steps at a time, and when I do, this book will be a good resource!
Holly
Lots of great ideas for cleaning green. I switched from bleach, toilet bowl cleaner and soft soap to baking soda and lemon juice have never looked back. Its a necessary read if we are going to stop polluting every time we clean our bathrooms.
Póilin
I did alot of skimming on this book, alot of info, when i really wanted to get to what are the alternatives that wont break the bank and smell offensive, some good tips, but way too long of a read to get info that i wanted.
This book had a lot of good information about the chemicals (and their awful side effects) that are in commercial cleaning products. I also learned quite a bit of good information for best practices for cleaning our house.
Ejbland
Highly recommend this as well as her third edition: "The Essential Green You!" It will change the way you look at household cleaning agents, beauty products, and food! All the better for your environment.
Kara
Jul 31, 2007 Kara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who cleans
The first couple of chapters I could have skipped...but very informative book about the chemicals we use to clean and how to chose safe alternatives. I will never buy another bottle of clorox again!
Devri
This is a great book. I loved all of her ideas and suggestions. I highly recommend this book. It helped me make a very easy transition to all natural products and non-toxic cleaning.
Kristin
I finished this book with such little respect for her. She was just trying to sell her products and was a bit new-agey for me. I'll try another approach to natural cleaning.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Deirdre Imus is the Founder and President of The Deirdre Imus Environmental Center for Pediatric Oncology® at Hackensack University Medical Center and Co-Founder and Co-Director of the Imus Cattle Ranch for Kids with Cancer. Deirdre is the author of two New York Times bestsellers -- the newest book in the Green This! series, Growing Up Green, Baby and Child Care; a practical family guide to raisin...more
More about Deirdre Imus...
Growing Up Green! Baby and Child Care (Green This, #2) The Essential Green You! (Green This, #3) The Imus Ranch: Cooking for Kids and Cowboys Growing Up Green! Baby and Child Care (Green This! Series), Vol. 2 Green This! Volume 1: Greening Your Cleaning