Start by marking “Goops and How to Be Them: A Manual of Manners for Polite Infants Inculcating Many Juvenile Virtues” as Want to Read:

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  17 reviews

"The Goops they lick their fingers,/And the Goops they lick their knives, /They spill their broth on the tablecloth -/Oh, they lead disgusting lives!" The rhymes and drawings in this hilarious introduction to manners for children still amuse and educate 100 years later, providing lessons valuable today and shedding light on turn-of-the-century American mores.

Published June 15th 2005 by Applewood Books (first published 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Goops and How to Be Them, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goops and How to Be Them

Miriam
Jan 04, 2014 Miriam marked it as to-read
Pat
I remember teaching "The Goops" poem to my little sister. It was so fun. I bought her the posters and they scared her so much that she hung the in her closet! We taught the poem to our children when they were learning table mannners. My goodnesss, the fun never ends. 'The Goops they lick their fingers/And the Goops they like their knives,/They spill their broth on the tablecloth/Oh, they lead discusting lives./The Goops they talk while eating,/ and loud and fast they chew,/ And that is why I am...more
jacky
I am not sure if this is the book, but I am marking it for now so I don't forget. My father used to read the poem about the Goops aloud to us, usually at dinner time. It was in a book that had lots of other poems or stories, but being so young, I never knew if it was some sort of collection or a book all by the same author. The Goops is all I remember.
JoDean
What a fun collection of verse to illustrate proper manners. The Goops have been teaching children through their impoliteness for over 100 years.

"For in Rudeness they're Precocious,
They're Atrocious, they're Ferocious!"

"Ask yourself, upon the Spot,
Are you Goop, or are you Not?"
Rachel
This book taught me how to have the terrible manners I have today, such that my friends at summer camp refused to eat at the same table with me because of the way I held my spoon. Thank god for the Goops. I am going to be the creepy aunt that buys this as a present for babies.
Bayneeta
A childhood favorite. The original was published in 1900. My brother Doug gave us all copies of this reprint for Christmas. Thought I'd include my favorite here, but I couldn't choose just one. I love all the little round-headed Goop illustrations too. Wonderful memories!
Melinda
Clear fun illustrations and old-time polite and useful values. It's a little unclear you want to be a Goop or Not be a Goop, but it's pretty clear which characteristics are desirable.
hilary lay
i quite possibly loved this book so much because merely showing my sister its cover would make her cry in terror.
(still does, but you didn't hear that from me......)
Sandy
A children's book about good manners. The rhymes are catchy and very cute. It does not shy from "big" words, and is age-appropriate for children.
Miss Downtown NYC
I first discovered the Goops while reading Young Years as a child. I was given this book as a gift. You can never have enough of the Goops.
Caitlin Johnson
I THINK IT IS A GREAT BOOK BECAUSE I USED TO READ IT WHEN I WAS LITTLE AND I THOUGHT IT WAS THE FUNNIEST BOOK EVER
!!!!!!!!
stacey
this book rocks my face off. it's supposed to be a child etiquette guide, but it's really just hillarious.
Margaret K
This book should help in every home to make learning manners a little bit more fun.
Ramona Honan
Read in my childhood back in the 50's and still fondly remember it.
hilary lay
Aug 21, 2007 hilary lay rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: older sisters.
i will forever love this book because it used to make my sister weep.
Alethea Kontis
Don't be a Goop!
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Mary Frances Pickett
Mary Frances Pickett marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
More Goops and How Not to Be Them Goop Tales Are You a Bromide? Purple Cow and Other Nonsense The Burgess Nonsense Book: Being a Complete Collection of the Humorous Masterpieces of Gelett Burgess, Esq.