Start by marking “How Do I Love You?” as Want to Read:
How Do I Love You?

How Do I Love You?

From little muddy feet to chocolate cheeks to favorite silly dances, there are many reasons to love -- and there are even more ways to express love.

Celebrate the bond between parents and children in this sweet and playful counting book that will have you loving upside down, right side up, and every way in between.
Published December 13th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published December 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about How Do I Love You?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Do I Love You?

Teacher.
Apr 23, 2012 Teacher. rated it really liked it
A sweet counting book, great for preschoolers! Here are the things I liked about it:

1. The book is bright and colorful.
2. The counting goes up to 20. Perfect for pre-schoolers.
3. While the book clearly portrays a bond between child and 'parent', it is generic enough to be suitable for any loving caregiver. Father, Mother, Aunt, Sister, grandfather, all could be portrayed as a caregiver in this story. That is a real strength for those who are seeking a book that reflects their own family.
4. The w
Ashley Fischer
This book uses borders to separate the different ways the father loves his son on one single page. The borders help the reader visually move through the page and look at the pictures in order on the double-page spread. The illustrator shows great texture to feel the roughness of the alligator or the look of water or leaves. The texture is pulled in to show sand, snow and water. The illustrator also uses line and direction to move the reader through the picture. The illustrator uses line for moti ...more
Kayla
Apr 01, 2015 Kayla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: concept
I thought this book was simply adorable. I would love to read this to my children before bedtime. I also liked how it applied a number concept. I think this would be a great book to read with students when they are working on counting. I think the children would enjoy this book as well because the main characters are alligators plus they would feel a sense of love from whoever is reading it to them.
Jenny
Jun 10, 2008 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents and children
Shelves: picture-books
I really liked this book. The pictures are darling and the story is fun. Especially the "squishy squashy" part, we used to call my son "Squish" and my little brother "Squash". This book helps children learn about numbers, as well as the endless love of a parent. That was especially touching for me, considering my two sweet sons.
Libby
Jul 19, 2010 Libby rated it it was amazing
What can I say, counting books are near and dear to my mathematical heart, and this one especially because of the secret introduction to infinity or the concept of n+1. (most normal people probably wouldn't notice this...) The words are fun- rhyming, and the pictures too. My 22-mo-old son likes this one too.
Sarah Adamson
Have it two stars because it was a bit basic for my 4 year old. We chose it as a Valentines day book. It shows a mom and baby alligator counting up to 20 ways that they love each other and then stating that of course they love up to the biggest number ever plus one. Sweet and fun - better for preschoolers.
Christina Robbins
Jan 22, 2013 Christina Robbins rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to read to a child who has separation anxiety. The book includes counting 1 to 20. I also enjoyed how the mother would make up different things about how much she loved about her child. The book also included the sequencing of the seasons and the days of the week.
Cheryl Kays
This is a story about a mama crocodile and her baby. In this story, the mama counts the baby's fingers and toes and counts the ways she loves him. This is a sweet family book that incorporates math for primary students.
Katie Carlisle
May 05, 2014 Katie Carlisle rated it really liked it
I like this book and think it would help ease some nervous, young students at the beginning of the school year. I like that the story has children counting, but I do not like that students do not have something physical to count.
Jill
Jun 13, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I loved reading this book with my children. Expresses a mother's love for her children completely and is a great way to teach children to count to 20 as well. Recommend to all little ones and their mothers.
Vilo
Mar 14, 2014 Vilo rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, math, rhyme
A fun and sweet counting book that goes all the way to 20. It has digits and numbers spelled out.
Madison
Book I would read to my own children of preschoolers. Good book for counting while engaging the children in the book.
Edna
Feb 07, 2011 Edna rated it liked it
Fun bright large illustrations filling both pages with parent crocodile counting up to 20 the ways she loves little crocodile.
Megan Miller
Apr 18, 2015 Megan Miller rated it really liked it
This is a concept book about a mama aligator and her babies. She counts the ways she loves her little ones. Good book for pre K- 1st.
Taylor Johnson
I enjoyed this book and children will have fun reading this. The illustrations were okay and it would be a great book for parent to read to their children.
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it it was ok
Dec 09, 2016
Daniel Ciochină
Daniel Ciochină rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2013
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Serena McGlashen
Serena McGlashen rated it it was ok
Sep 29, 2011
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2012
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2017
KrisT A
KrisT A rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2014
Krista
Krista rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2009
Alissa
Feb 06, 2013 Alissa rated it really liked it
A simple counting book where an alligator mother tells her baby all the ways she loves him.
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2011
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2014
Nathan and Colin
Nathan and Colin rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Carrie Wilson
Carrie Wilson rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2010