Start by marking “Southern Fried Divorce” as Want to Read:
Southern Fried Divorce

Southern Fried Divorce

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  36 reviews
If your dog doesn't like this book, he has no sense of humor."—Roy Blount, Jr., author ofRoy Blount's Book of Southern Humor and If Only You Knew How Much I Smell You

The hilarious account of one woman's marriage and divorce—Big Easy- style

Set against the colorful backdrop of New Orleans, SOUTHERN FRIED DIVORCE raucously recounts the author's divorce from That X —a classi
Hardcover, Large Print, 276 pages
Published March 23rd 2005 by Thorndike Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Southern Fried Divorce, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Fried Divorce

Melissa
Dec 06, 2009 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that loves New Orleans and colorful southern characters
Recommended to Melissa by: Sara
I was all prepared for Southern Fried Divorce to be another book about a bitter, vindictive divorcee. While I am sure the actual divorce was not easy to live through, Judy Conner surprisingly shares with the reader many amusing stories about her "X", as she affectionally calls him.

"X" is a character in only the way that a resident of New Orleans can be. "X" is an owner of drinking establishment. He constantly seems to attract trouble. "X" hangs out with everyone from the highest local officials
Kattie
Jul 08, 2008 Kattie added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the SPQ
Recommended to Kattie by: NetLibrary
I was in need of a new audiobook, so I looked at my options online.
It mentioned humor, and despite the fact that I have absolutely no intention of "unleashing my hound", I was in desparate use for humor on a day that I have to work 16 hours.
This author, despite the occasional humor, rambles all over a page more than a drunkard on a police walk. This book does not follow a timeline or let alone a similar thought. It was not until I was a while into the book (which I think would be better in actua
Lisa Kay
★★★☆☆ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Cynthia Darlow does a nice job of narrating this one; however, I didn’t find it particularly funny, so she had an uphill battle winning me over. I found my mind drifting repeatedly while listening to this audiobook – a problem I don’t usually have. Maybe it was just my mood. Ms. Darlow makes the ex-husband sound like a doofus, which he is, so that fits, but I could help wondering what the heroine ever saw in him and kept mentally rolling my eyes. She d ...more
Renie
This book sounds like it was written by the author of the Junie B. Jones, books. Anyway, I didn't care for the language in this book....the way the author refers to her ex-husband as "that ex-husband" and how she inserts made-up words like "myownself." Ugh. I couldn't stand it. Otherwise, the premise of the book was palatable enough, a tale of a southern gal's relationship with her ex-husband and "that nephew" of his. The book, whimsically, includes random recipes as well as a 3 page list of nic ...more
Jimena
Loved this amazing fun book. Please read this because it is funny and wonderful! Almost healing for a stressed person.
Stacey
I read about this book in one of Jill Conner Brown's SPQ books and just had to read it. It is only slightly entertaining and not nearly as good or humorous as the SPQ books; Jill and Judy are "seesters" in case you don't know.
Over the past 12 months, many of my friends have separated and/or divorced. Whereas most of those relationships ended badly, Judy and "that X" enjoyed a better relationship post-divorce than they had had when they were married. I loved the way she always referred to him as
Beth
Amusing book! Mostly fluff, but an easy listen on the way to the beach.
Teresa
I REALLY wanted to like this book. Judy Conner's sister is THE amazing Sweet Potato Queen herself, Jill Conner Browne, whom I love. Jill writes in anecdotes and funny short stories. Judy was trying to tell a story sequentially, but the short stories and anecdotes were un-relatable for me.
I'm not sure why, but I couldn't get into this book. I stopped reading half-way through because in all honesty, I really didn't care what happened to "the Ex" and his dog. Sorry, Judy.
Greg Bascom
SOUTHERN FRIED DIVORCE is a funny first person memoir about the author's after marriage to "that ex-husband." It is a whacky tale set in New Orleans in the nineties with chunks of backstory on the relationship between the author and that ex-husband, who is a nice guy but acts like a lunatic. He is remarkably like several of my friends in New Orleans. The antics and the escapades in this book reveal the true character of the Big Easy that the tourists miss.
Robin
I loved this book. The author perfectly combined the charm of her MS upbringing and the raunchiness of life in LA. I thought she did a brilliant job of depicting the characters found only in the deep south. I can see how it might seem farfetched for those that are not familiar with the local colloquialisms. Ultimately, it was a beautiful love story and tribute to her true love.
Cinthiny
I liked it, I really did. There were a few parts that cracked me up and one part where she talked about when she is ready to leave a party that reminded me totally of MYSELF. It was very good and the recipes sounded yummy. This book was just what I needed since I haven't read a book in just about forever. Such is life with a four year old and a one year old.
Jeanne
Jul 14, 2011 Jeanne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mostly women, but also those who love New Orleans
Wickedly funny, (the hardest I've ever laughed while reading came from this book) charming and touching. This gal's experiences with a man who was untamable will leave the reader with an awe of the workings of the universe and the friendships of man, woman and beast.

Not the kind of book I'd normally pick up, but she had me at the title.
Sherry Grussing
Well, I finished it. That's about it.

She tries to hard to be funny. I think she is trying to keep up with her sister (she wrote The Sweet Potato Queens books).

She jumps from topic to topic and then back. At one point, she spent about four or five pages just listing nicknames out of obituaries. Really? Was that neccesary?
Sabrina Mallard
I longed to read this book for many years, especially because the sister of the author is HILARIOUS and writes some of the best books for women I've ever read. However, once I finally found a copy, I just couldn't get into it. Author seems too hung up on herself. I'm divorced too, from Texas, and I just couldn't relate.
Mary
I enjoyed Southern Fried Divorce. I picked it up because I'm a huge fan of Judy's sister, Jill Connor Browne. While Southern Fried Divorce is much in the same vein as the SPQ books, I'm afraid Judy's writing isn't quite on the same level as Jill's. But I really did enjoy the story, and would recommend it to others.
Adrian Colesberry
Lots of funny stuff about New Orleans. The funniest is her description of how making a political enemy can get you revenge on the order of the street in front of your house gets torn up and is under construction for four years. Crazy. Funny.
Shelia McKennerney
Get the stick out of your rear and realize that it's not Lillian Hellman. Just a quick, funny, different kind of tale
Mary
For the first half of this book, I kept thinking how trite and cliched. It got me in the second half when I laughed aloud repeatedly. The ending was actually touching and unpredictable.
Jeannie
Ok is about it for me with this book. I do believe I'm getting tired of reading these sarcastic, supposedly funny type of books. I just didn't get it with this one.
Becky
I listed to this audiobook and loved it. If you like dogs and things Southern it is a must read! It really kept me entertained and laughing. Plus a few good recipes.
Emily
This book was just ok.I felt like she tried a little to hard to put every southern saying ever known to man in the book.However,parts of it were pretty funny.
Kristie J.
Listened to disk 1 of the audiobook and returned it to the library. I did like the southern voice of the narrator and the southern setting of the book.
Jj
I liked it. Fun easy read. Reminded me of the fun parties I used to have and makes me wonder why I stopped. Going to have to start again!!
Cyndy
This book was different from what I expected. It was funny, but the end was very touching and poignant. It's a good book!
Helen
This book is not only a funny, honest account of divorce but it comes with recipes from Tupelo and New Orleans. A delicious book!
Bonne
Loved it!
Judy Conner is the little sister of Jill Conner Brown of the Sweet Potato Queens, and humor runs in the family.
Laura Rieth
Not as funny as I thought. This one was recommended to me. Has some Deep South humor in it. (Mississippi ties)
Ashley
Funny stuff. Makes NOLA look 10 shades of fun and makes me want to talk Southern. Love the brown dog!
Debra
Unexpectedly poignant and charming, this memoir of divorce in Louisiana was definitely worth listening to.
Aug 07, 2007 Jennifer rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New Orleanians
I learned a little something about love and life and a weird little alimony arrangement.
  • My Daddy Was a Pistol and I'm a Son of A Gun
  • Feet on the Street: Rambles Around New Orleans
  • Confessions of a Recovering Slut: And Other Love Stories
  • Letters from New Orleans
  • The Sweet Potato Queens' Field Guide to Men: Every Man I Love Is Either Married, Gay, or Dead
  • Crazy Aunt Purl's Home Is Where the Wine Is: Making the Most of What You've Got One Stitch (and Cocktail!) at a Time
  • Being Dead Is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide To Hosting the Perfect Funeral
  • Bless Your Heart, Tramp: And Other Southern Endearments
  • The Risks of Sunbathing Topless: And Other Funny Stories from the Road
  • The Spirit of Sweetgrass
  • No Greatness Without Goodness: How a Father's Love Changed a Company and Sparked a Movement
  • On Whale Island: Notes from a Place I Never Meant to Leave
  • Miss American Pie: A Diary of Love, Secrets and Growing Up in the 1970s
  • Managing Ignatius: The Lunacy of Lucky Dogs and Life in New Orleans
  • The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell
  • Hold Me Tight and Tango Me Home
  • You Can Get Arrested for That: 2 Guys, 25 Dumb Laws, 1 Absurd American Crime Spree
  • Sing a Song of Tuna Fish: Hard-To-Swallow Stories from Fifth Grade