Start by marking “Learning to Play Gin (Cheating at Solitaire, #2)” as Want to Read:
Learning to Play Gin (Cheating at Solitaire, #2)

Learning to Play Gin (Cheating at Solitaire #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  337 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Julia James was on a winning streak. The hot self-help author of the single-girl's guide 101 Ways to Cheat at Solitaire had millions in the bank and a boyfriend on the Hollywood A-list. But when her books drop off the bestseller list and her famous boyfriend moves to L.A., Julia must discover how a woman who became famous for being single can win at a game made for two.
Published November 7th 2006 by Berkley Trade

To ask other readers questions about Learning to Play Gin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning to Play Gin

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareLinger by Maggie StiefvaterLast Sacrifice by Richelle Mead
YA Books of 2010 & 2011 I'm excited to read!!
101st out of 184 books — 284 voters
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterHeist Society by Ally CarterCross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally CarterDon't Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally CarterPaper Towns by John Green
LeakyCon 2011 LitDay
18th out of 80 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenni
Okay, at first, I just appreciated the author's humor--in the bursting out loud while my roommates look at me strangely way. And then I started getting nervous as the subject matter hit closer and closer to home: I've been so single for so long... am I going to be as horrible as the heroine at adjusting to a relationship when I finally ditch the single status!?

And then I decided that was too much self-introspection, so I went back to enjoying the author's humor.

Favorite parts:
(Dedicated, loving
Michelle
Not as good as the first book in the series. This book seemed to struggle with what it wanted to accomplish. Was it a romance? A relationship book? Missing was the humor found in the first book. While it was a bad book, it just didn't excite and engage as the previous "Cheating at Solitaire" did. It took me longer to get through it because it was so easy to put down. I thought the ending was just okay because nothing was really resolved. Plus, I always think writers can write almost anywhere--I ...more
Sharal Hunter
Mimi
Jul 25, 2011 Mimi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
This book was not what I was expecting in the sequel, but I enjoyed it. I liked how the card game gin was used as a theme throughout the book, beginning each chapter with something about the game that was relevant to what was going to happen in the lives of Lance and Julia.

This book had many different relationships on display: a divorced couple, a seriously dating couple, a couple whose marriage was teetering on the edge, and a couple who had made been married 40 years and were happy. It was int
Andrea
I didn't have time to write a review of this book and then I forgot, and then my computer decided to restart the browser... sigh.

This book was great. I really like how it portrays people. I think with these two books Ally Carter delivers her most human characters. Julia is a character that you can identify with easily. She's a woman living a moment of change of her life. She's adapting, changing. It's not just about love (and thanks god, I like my chick flicks but sometimes characters should sho
Taylor
I read Learning to Play Gin before I knew it was the sequel to Cheating at Solitaire. I had to play a tiny bit of catch up with it but not much. It has been a while since I read it but I do remember that I related to the main character a great deal. Ally Carter did a wonderful job making her a well rounded, relate-able, and believable character. I found myself several times making comments aloud that the character would say a few lines down. Of course there were very dry parts and moments when I ...more
Lauren
Not as good as the first one, but who didn't need closure after that?
I was mad at the whole "I am a poor victim woman with curves living in a world made for very thin woman and my life is so hard and I am the only one and skinny people have it so easy" People who know me understand why I have this issue. If you don't know me, just this is all I have to say. Don't start crying about your curves until you have lived in a body where all your bones stick out and there isn't a dot for you on tights
Jenny
Julia James isn't quite sure who she is anymore. After all, her career was built on the fact that she was single, and very good at it. But now that she's dating one of the Hollywood elite, her books are no longer on bestseller lists. And with Lance's crazy schedule, she begins to wonder if it was a good trade. Add a mansion in California and family to the mix and craziness ensues.

I wasn't really looking forward to reading this one after I read the back cover. The first book was mildly entertain
Melissa W
Christ Almighty! Does anyone realise how long it took me to find a copy of this book??? try near one tow blimn' years... not to mention that Here in NZ there is only ONE COPY of the book circulating in the public library system, and even then cam came from right at the other end of the country... man, i think i got a grey hair after that.

But anyways. Not really as good as 'Cheating at Solitaire'. Seems to have lacked in the momentum and character appeal. Plot line was a bit dull as they didnt re
Connie
Ally Carter is great at writing about girl spies (The Gallagher Academy series,) but not so much with this topic. I laughed a few times at the funny life situations she talked about and a few pages made me want to know what was going to happen next, but I expected a lot more. Perhaps she is a writer that gets better over time. I don't know. I thought since the front cover showed a girl and a guy playing cards that THEY would be the main characters. They didn't seem to be the case. There was bare ...more
Meaghan
this book was so good! i loved it! they had a real relationship instead of one of those that i cant relate to. the new characters were clever too.
Ashley
i liked the book to an extent. it wasn't a grabber in the beginning and i kinda had to force myself to continue and it kinda just stayed like that till the last 5 chapters or so. my favorite part was when lance stood up to his mother. amanda and nina were my other favorite characters. i found julia (main character) to be a bit dull and boring.

i loved the ending though. very good and the epilogue couldn't have truer words to hit the heart like that.
Jen
Lots of humorous moments. I enjoyed the the exploration of the complexities of relationships beyond the initial falling-in-love-happy-ending, even if the ending of the book didn't resolve all those complexities as neatly as it could have. I don't think endings are this author's specialty, but--hey, she's in the company of Jane Austen there, so it's not too bad a place to be.

It's so refreshing, to find a fun adult romance that is clean.
Debbie
Not life altering our mind-bending, but an okay plot, character development, and decent writing for a fairly tame romance novel.
Britt
A quick read. I didn't like it as much as the first book, however I did feel the conflicts Julie faced were realistic. Lance seemed to be a lot more lovable in the first book. The ending seemed to wrap up a little too quickly, which made it feel a little anti-climatic. With that said, I did enjoy the overall book.
Maria
I liked this book because so many romance books talk about how hard it is to get together but once the guy and girl are together happily ever after kicks in. This book shows that happily ever after takes a little bit of work and a lot of compromise. (This is the sequel to Cheating at Solitare.)
Jenny
Not as good as the first one, but I love this author. I've read everything she's written, and will continue to read her. She writes better for teens than she does for adults, oddly enough though the only book my teen likes of hers is the "Heist Society".
Audrey
I really liked this book. I think the author has a very unique voice and the gimmick was pretty creative. I wish my library had the first one, I just kind of jumped into the middle of the story, but still liked it.
Kristen
Very cute book, enjoyed the not so easy relationship that so many books have.

Moral Note: Did say the "S" word once, and the "B" word about five times on one page. Other than that it was pretty clean.
Michelle
3.5 stars. Fun easy read about a girl discovering the give & take of relationships. I think this is a book everyone can relate to & it was written in a way that drew me in.
Lily
May 26, 2012 Lily rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
I like this story. Despite it being about a girl with a movie star boyfriend, it still seems like an accurate portrayal of how hard it is to make things work.
Heather Laskos
Cute book about what it means to be a couple after not only being single, but being the spokeswoman for single women.
Laramort
Julia bugged me big time most of this book. I did love the comparison of playing gin with dating. Witty.
Crystal
Okay, maybe I'm a little lame, but I really enjoyed reading this book. It was clean, funny, and a quick read.
Annette
I really love Ally Carter's books. Julia and Lance -- the story continues. Fun, not-smutty romance. It was great!
Michelle
I definitely should have read the first book before this one. I felt lost the whole time.
Shana Elbrecht
I much prefer Ally Carter's teen/YA novels to her adult ones. This book was just boring!!
Kari
Not as good as "Cheating at Solitaire", bit of a downer.
Lesley
lacked the charm and intrigue of its predecessor
Erin
Perfect beach read!
  • Do-Over (Royally Jacked, #3)
  • Platinum (Golden, #2)
  • Amor and Summer Secrets (Amor and Summer Secrets, #1)
  • America, But Better: The Canada Party Manifesto
  • Heart and Salsa
  • Model Spy (The Specialists, #1)
  • Notes From The Backseat
  • The Fallen
  • Doctor Who: Shroud of Sorrow
  • Gothic Sports: Volume 1
  • Thieves Like Us
  • A Boy Called Duck Tape
  • The Demon You Know (Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom #4.5)
  • Untitled (The Paradise Diaries, #3)
  • Starcarbon: A Meditation on Love
  • Stephanie Plum
  • The Fidelity Files (Jennifer Hunter, #1)
  • Restless Soul (Rogue Angel #28)
Ally Carter is a writer living and working in the Midwest. She loved school so much she kept going...and going...and going...until finally she had to graduate. Now she has degrees from Oklahoma State University and Cornell University and a house and a job and other very grown-up things.

Her life is either very ordinary or the best deep-cover legend ever. She'd tell you more, but...well...you know..
More about Ally Carter...
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1) Heist Society (Heist Society, #1) Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy (Gallagher Girls, #2) Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover (Gallagher Girls, #3) Only the Good Spy Young (Gallagher Girls, #4)