Start by marking “The Cat Who Came to Breakfast (Cat Who... #16)” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Came to Breakfast (Cat Who... #16)

The Cat Who Came to Breakfast (Cat Who... #16)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  5,102 ratings  ·  109 reviews
Qwilleran and the cats are visiting an island known by many names. Qwill has always called it Breakfast Island, but to the taciturn natives, it's Providence Island. To the rich summer residents it's Grand Island--and to the developers and tourists who are turning this once-peaceful place upside down, it's Pear Island. But when some odd "accidents" occur, including a fatal ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 261 pages
Published March 1st 1995 by Jove Books (first published February 9th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Came to Breakfast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Came to Breakfast

Kris by Patrick O'ScheenInto the Wild by Erin HunterThe See-Through Leopard by Sibel HodgeSam, the Superkitty by Marion LovatoThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Fiction Cat Books
47th out of 216 books — 143 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussChocolat by Joanne HarrisThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyPicnic at Hanging Rock by Joan LindsayBlueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
A Bite to Eat...
72nd out of 205 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Mrs.Y. Yeingst
I love these books--the main character is funny and really understands how cats think. I also enjoy these stories because they are mysteries, my favorite genre.
Danny
Ok, so I picked this up partly because I'm in charge of the Mystery/Adventure/Suspense area of my library and it behooves me to know more about the books in that section.

But also because there's this parody book called "The Cat Who Killed Lillian Jackson Braun," which I wanted to read. And I felt like I should read one of the books being parodied before I read the funny book.

I wasn't thrilled with this little mystery, though I guess I could see what people who DO like these books see in them. Ol
Sue
A big resort has been built on Pear Island, aka Breakfast Island, aka Grand Island and Qwill for one is not happy about the changes. Qwill's friends Nick and Lori Bamba are now on the island running a B&B. Nick contacts Qwill because he's concerned about a series of recent accidents and wonders if Qwill would be willing to come over and snoop around. He goes - under the guise of reporting about the island and the resort for the Newspaper - and, of course, life is not dull during his 2 week ...more
Becky
People who flock to Mackinac Island and enjoy mysteries will enjoy this tome. Though named differently, the mysteries take place on Breakfast (or Pear, or Grand, or Pirate, or ....) Island. The name changes depending on the type of resident. There are a lot of similarities between this fictitious island and Mackinac Island.

Fellow "The Cat Who..." fans already know the main characters and what they are usually up to. If you've been paying attention, Qwill and the siamese reside in a different pla
Courtney
Not thrilled about this one. It seemed like they put the majority of the mystery solving in the last two chapters of the book and the rest of the chapters galavanting around breakfast island. However, the book did have potential, and since it was my first cat who book I'd be willing to give the series another shot before I doom them to the will not read shelf
Una Tiers
This is one of my favorites. Qwilleran leaves Moose County (400 miles north of everywhere) but a case of regulars are also temporarily relocated. Another vacation for Polly seems to make room for another adventure.
Monica
The books in this series are always such a delight to read...relaxing, a way to escape into the world of Qwill and his cats, Koko and Yum Yum.

This time Qwill and the cats are off to Breakfast Island...aka Pear Island...where the locals are none too happy about the development that has taken place, turning the island into a “resort”. Accidents happen, deaths occur. Is it all coincidence or a plot to return the island to its former state of tranquility for the locals.

I did not see it coming, the e
Knit Spirit
Bon, vous l’avez sans doute compris avec toutes les critiques que j’ai déjà pu poster sur la série des « Le chat qui… », j’adore ces livres ! Encore une fois, c’est avec joie que j’ai pu retrouver les différents personnages.
Cette histoire se passe sur une île, ça change un peu de d’habitude et c’est pas plus mal.
Les mystères qui entourent cette fameuse île m’ont tenu en halène de bout en bout et je me demandais vraiment comment cela pourrait finir.
Parfois, je me dis que les histoires de ce journ
Lisa Kucharski
I love the characters in this series which kept me reading this story, however the mystery was so distant... and Qwill's ability to get information so elusive that the quick summation at the end fell flat for me. In this story, Qwill goes to a nearby island where a new summer resort has pretty much inflicted itself and its crass commercialism on the locals. He goes to investigate a series of "accidents" and ends up trying to investigate but ... I it felt more like he was just wandering about.

Br
Wookie Wifey
This is one of my favorite books in the series...A series that, though I know I shouldn't, I unashamedly love. The characters are so cute and endearing that I find myself absorbed the instant I open the book. It brings back good feels as the small towns and bee-in-the-bonnet, meddling, yet well-meaning personalities of the inhabitants remind me of the one I grew up in, and I find Braun's writing is charming as can be. Though they are usually pretty predictable, I read for the characters and thei ...more
Kirsti
Jan 09, 2012 Kirsti rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cat lovers, Mystery lovers, Animal detective fans
This is one of two books out of the entire series that I have never read, due to the completely futile search to find them. Then, unexpectedly, my sister gave me a gift voucher for my birthday to Dymock's. I assumed the stores I visited in bigger cities would still be open, but the recent closures meant it was impossible to find one, so after a few months deliberation, I went online and to order books. I didn't expect there to be any available, but after typing in 'Lilian Jackson Braun' it came ...more
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: This 16th in the long series has Qwilleran visiting his friends The Bambas, on Breakfast Island, a newly developed formerly "hunting lodges only" little place in the a lake near Pickaxe. A good, solidly satisfying cosy, with strong characters and a fast-moving plot.

A couple of weeks vacation starts out interesting and winds up deadly, as Qwill heads for the highly promoted “Pear Island Resorts”, a new development near which the Bambas are fixing up their bed’n’breakfast. Suspicious
T.Scott
The cat who came to breakfast was boring to me. It would be a great for people who people who enjoy mysteries. In summary, there is this guy and this cat on a Breakfast island. The guy was invited to this hotel. Then an incident happen and he eventually solved the incident.
Denise Kettering
Another book in the "Cat Who" series that delivers the same feel good reading experience as the earlier ones in the series. The mystery remains fairly lighthearted and free from any gory details. The cats remain the central figures and in their own way discover the truth behind the mystery. This book delivers the same inviting characters as the others in this series.

James Qwilleran sets out to explore a series of "accidents" on Breakfast Island and ends up trying to solve the death of his neighb
Gina
I think this is my favorite of all her Cat Who books. It is probably because I love to read books where people are at retreats or on vacation.
Betsy
This book was not as good (to me) as the previous Cat Who books. For one thing, Qwil didn't seem quite like himself and the early chapters. For the entire first half of the book it seemed like little to nothing was going on, except for Quil's meandering around Breakfast Island, being a crotchety old man, not even taking his usual interest in people or paying much attention to the cats. I give it a 3 star rating because the book comes through in the last several chapters -- Qwill is more like him ...more
Eliana
Apr 06, 2014 Eliana added it
Maine mysteries solved in great part by kitties Koko and Yum Yum, with assistance from their human, Mr. Qwilleran.
V. Gingerich
I like this series of cozy mysteries. All the gore (what little there is) happens off-page, so you could borrow it to your grandma. The cats are cute, and the setting just old fashioned enough to be charming.
Nancy
I listened to this book, which I have read before. I was watching an interview by the creator, actors, and writers of White Collar, a TV show. The creator of the show described it as a "Blue Sky" show, or a show that leaves people feeling good. That is the way I feel about The Cat Who books. I enjoy visiting the characters in the books, and I enjoy the cats. There are crimes and murders, but they aren't the main focus of the books. There are friendships, and various interactions of the people in ...more
chrisa
I enjoyed this 16th entry into the Cat Who Series. Moose County keeps getting bigger and bigger! There were several mysteries in this cozy but none were especially pressing. The introduction of a potential new character for the series was exciting and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her (even if Qwill isn't ;)).

I would recommend this book to all people who enjoy the Cat Who mysteries.

I'm sad to say that I am nearing the end of this series, but I still have a few books left to read and en
Sara Smile
A mystery that seems to be solved way too quickly in the last few chapters. I enjoyed the book but when it ended it didn't leave me wanting more.
Marissa
Qwill, Koko, and Yum Yum head out to Breakfast Island, which has been developed, much to Qwill's (and the native islanders!) dismay. But Nick has invited him out there to stay at his B&B so that he can explore the sabotage occurring around the island that has resulted in death and injury. With angry natives, rich summer homes, and tourists, there are a lot of potential leads. Only Koko can figure out the truth! The Cat Who formula is always a winner for a lighthearted, enjoyable read.
Elizabeth
My favorite "The Cat Who book so far!!!
Mystry
I think this might be the best one yet! (:
Tiffeny
I tried another "The Cat Who" books, to see if liking the first one was just a fluke or if I really might like the series. And once again, I enjoyed the book. This was another audio book and it was abridged. It had somewhat of a choppy feel, and the conclusion wrapped up incredibly quick, without much detail, but I assume that's because of the abridgement, and is not how the full book would feel. I will definitely be listening to more from this series.
Nancy
Another enjoyable book in this series.
J. Ewbank
Ah yes, another mystery by Braun and the cats. The main character and the cats are visiting an Island that has three manes. Developers and tourists are changing the face and activities of the town and then some odd "accidents" happen such as a fatal boat explosion and the cats have to get into it to find out what is going on.

A good read.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Cathy
These books are the written equivalent of cat videos on YouTube. They're fun, they make you feel good, and they remind cat lovers what they already know--that they love cats and that cats should be worshiped as the gods they truly are. The mysteries aren't half bad either, and the novels have a gossipy feel to them. Fun but frivolous, and I'll eventually read them all (I've read quite a few already.)
The Women's Myste...: The Cat Who Came to Breakfast #17 1 1 Aug 09, 2013 10:05PM
  • Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)
  • A Cat of a Different Color (Alice Nestleton Mystery #2)
  • File M for Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #3)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...

Cat Who... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4) The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2) The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5) The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)