Start by marking “Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 01: Priestess” as Want to Read:
Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 01: Priestess

Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 01: Priestess (Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  16,246 ratings  ·  108 reviews
When best friends Miaka and Yui open the pages of an ancient Chinese book, they are transported into the Universe of the Four Gods, a parallel world to ancient China. Now, to escape schoolwork and family problems, Miaka flees to the parallel world, only to find a lot more danger and romance than she bargained for.
Published October 6th 1999 by VIZ Media LLC (first published May 1992)

Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
26th out of 596 books — 1,361 voters
Maid-sama! Vol. 01 by Hiro FujiwaraFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraKimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina
Great Romance Manga Reads!
39th out of 330 books — 499 voters

More lists with this book...

Kay
Jan 19, 2012 Kay rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kay by: fake chinese history
The artwork is gorgeous, but other than that, I didn't enjoy this manga very much. The protagonist is very weak, and gets pushed around and fondled by this guy and that. But despite it all, she still maintains that Mary Sue complex in which she unfailingly attracts the attention of all. If that's not enough, this is another one of those "The One" stories where the heroine has to find and lead seven celestial guardians to some great purpose or another.

So, not only is she a Mary Sue that everybod
PurplyCookie
I will admit that I only purchased a copy of this manga because I loved the anime so much. I have been a fan of that series for the longest time and whenever I go back to watch it, it never disappoints.

In "Fushigi Yûgi, Volume 1: Priestess" we are introduced to Miaka Yuki who is an ordinary junior high-school student, suddenly whisked away into the world of a book, "The Universe of the Four Gods". There she becomes the priestess of the god Suzaku, and is charged with finding all seven of her Ce
Sesana
I remember reading a little bit of Fushigi Yugi back when they were first being released, but never finished off the series. I remember why now. The art is really, really, really pretty, enough that it bumped the rating up a whole star for me. The actual plot itself seems pretty interesting, and is off to a fairly good start. But the romance is lackluster and rushed. There's going to be a bunch more volumes for Miaka to realize that she's falling in love with Tamahome, so why start now? And Miak ...more
Teresa
May 05, 2012 Teresa rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Manga lovers would definetely find this appealing
Recommended to Teresa by: Self
I did not like this book, obviously from my one-star rating. I am sorry for you manga lovers, but I did try to like this book. But...just, no. The only good thing that came out of this series is the artwork. The creator is not a very good storyteller, but well, hell, she's got talents when it comes to the art department. Sadly, that's where my compliments end. You know, in the hands of a capable storyteller, this manga could have been great. I mean, I found the idea behind the plot appealing. I ...more
Selena
I read this a while ago, so my memory's foggy, but I do remember going, "meh" to this book and then being very glad the library didn't have any of the other books in the series.

The main character is what's known as a "hapless heroine sue." In other words, she's so "normal" (or what is considered "normal" of a girl in Japan when this was written). In other words, she's a total wimp. She's got the brain the size of a peanut. She gets manhandled a few times. All she does is whine and scream for hel
Yuu Sasih
This rating and review are for all completed volumes.

Lagi-lagi, kalau urusan manga romance, saya dikasih pinjam oleh kakak sepupu saya. Waktu itu baca waktu masa puber, pas SMP, makanya saya bisa tahan baca manga romance yang fluff dan klisenya sehebat ini. LOL.

Tapi dari sudut tema saya suka sekali, terutama setting zaman dan wilayah yang dipilih.... kalau tidak salah di China era Tiga Kerajaan? Atau sebelumnya?

Dari tema, mirip Inuyasha, tapi bedanya ini harem. Lumayan iri sama Miaka dan Yui yan
Ceres
Un des premiers mangas que j'ai dévoré d'un coup! Yuu Watase Powa!!!
Jewel
the following review is for the entire Fushigi Yugi series.

more shameless manga reviewing!

Yuu Watase has a good feel for balancing dark drama and romance. Fushigi Yugi, unlike the depressing and deranged Ceres, is a hybrid of historical drama and fantasy topped with a subtle magical girl feel. like Inuyasha, Fushigi Yugi was one of the manage/anime series that dominated my little teen life and holds a special place in my library.

the series as a whole also has some good humor and genuinely funny
Jessikah
Fushigi Yugi is a great Manga series for fans of girl's romance. Its got a slew of memorable characters, plenty of action and of course a love triangle (or square or... you get the idea). It gets a little weird towards the end, however it is worth a read. Try any of Yuu Watase's fantasy stories.
Caroline
Very cute series about a girl transported into a magical world (like 50% of manga out there...). The cast of characters is really what makes this series.
E.  Talamante
The first in a series, and part of my continuing journey to read what my kids are. I have to say, I actually liked this one. Maybe because I started at the beginning, unlike some of the manga I’ve read, or because the author is young and not inundated with the stereo-types of manga (or rather, those that I associate with manga), or maybe it’s the atypical heroine who is not sure she wants to be the center of this story.

Read full review here:
Kereesa
Nope.
아라 (Arra)
I believed I have read this back when I was still in my grade school. I used to read this in a magazine like manga not the usual ones & apparently I read it with it's original form which is Japanese but I thoroughly enjoyed the art. I knew that time that this manga isn't appropriate for my age at that time when I read this :)) but I'm very understandable with it. I didn't end up buying the next volumes because it's rare to find classic ones like this in any local bookstores here unless I ord ...more
Sevairi
Yuu Watase's artwork is so gorgeous that it makes me want to weep, and gets one star solely for that. However, I wasn't really feeling this series. I don't believe in this "love at first sight" bullshit Miaka has for Tamahome, or Hotohori for Miaka. I just don't. The only romantic relationship which has an explanation is the fake one between Tamahome and Nuriko, since Nuriko is a conniving fucking nutcase and isn't actually in love with Tamahome.

There were blatant spelling mistakes as well, whic
*Miss Fame*
This series seems pretty interesting... very Never Ending Story but as a Shojo manga. I think I will enjoy it. It seems a bit like Red River, though I've only read the first volume of that series too.

What is VERY interesting to me is the manga-ka talks a lot about not copying other artists in her panels. She talks about making sure you have your own style and it's okay to be influenced by other artists you like, but don't make your characters look exactly the same because to her, that is annoyin
Sami C
I remember the day when "Curious Play" came on AXN one summer. I watched that first episode and loved it. And since not many of my classmates had cable, I already knew what happened in the show at least a year before anyone else in high school did when the show came out on local TV (Tagalog version eww). This is how I met my best friend--she heard me talking about it and asked me for spoilers.

However, it never occurred to me to read the manga. I knew it was based on a manga, but at the time, I w
alyza lalaine libit
this is one of my favorite mangas and animes.
i was in grade school when the anime was first aired on local tv.
i was hooked since i'm eternally fascinated with history, different cultures mythology and folklore.
why, when i was a kid i even dreamed of becoming an archeologist, anthropologist or a historian.
however now i'm taking up secondary education, lol
anyway, the story is epic.
i love the characters specially tamahome
all characters are developing as the story goes on.
there's no lame part.
every
Veronica Ika
How often we wish that we can enter our favorite books and be the heroes or heroines of the adventures lie within?

Miaka accidentally enter the world inside an ancient book when she reads its pages and turn out to be the heroine of the story within. In the story, Miaka should be the Priestess of Suzaku and endure many dangerous obstacles in her journey to find her guardians.

It is an interesting book particularly for those who fond of Chinese histories or legends.
The Succubus
Owow! Fushigi yuugi had been my long time favorite and i can't believe up until now it's still! I mean, i was watching this series since i was in elementary and now i am in my twenties and reading the manga (ive finished it just now :D). Really moves me, though others might think that it was just an exaggerated remark, for me it did. I feel with the characters, i laughed, i got teary eyed (and cried too), got intensed, shocked and all that--most importantly, i loved with them :). While i was rea ...more
Cara James
The protagonist in this story can be a bit annoying at times, but I feel like her character is balanced by the numerous other men around her. This artist is one of my favorites so I have seen her create strong female characters without making them bubbly, whiney, and over the top dramatic like she did with Miaka in this particular series. Despite my irritation with the main character, I don't believe this story would be what is if it weren't for Miaka. This story is more than just a romance. It ...more
Jessica
I really enjoyed this book about a pure girl that will come from another a world to become the fire priestess and will save that world of ancient Times. I also enjoyed the unusual cast of characters the Emperor from the get-go was one of my favorites I also liked the swordsman who lived in the castle and almost immediately stole her heart.
Patricia
I don't remember much about this first volume. Nor do I wish to. The only thing that I can recall quite well is the main character, whatever her name was, telling the dude on the cover that she was falling in love with him. When I read that, I was like "What the f*ck?!"

I HATE it when in the first volume of any story the girl tells the guy she loves him when she knows NOTHING about him.

That's why I hate this main girl right off the bat. You don't know anything about him!! All he did was save you
Amanda Sheila
Baca komiknya sih cuma beberapa edisi aja, sisanya habis nonton animenya. Salah satu anime terpanjang yang pernah aku tonton dan aku tonton sampai tamat-mat-mat. Bagus, sedih, bikin terharu, kejam, dan romantis. Khas Yuu Watase dan aku suka. Nggak yakin sih bakal selesaiin komiknya. We'll see.
Casey
I have loved this series sense I was in high school and I have nostalgia for the manga/Anime series no matter how annoying Miaka can get (and she does) but its still one you'll either love laughing at her goofiness or want to throw the book out the window every time she does something stupid.
Despair Speaking
This is so ooold. I think this manga is what Yuu Watase famous. I watched its anime counterpart when I was still in kindergarten and had been a fan. So when I came across this in a bookstore, I was like, "Why not?" and bought a copy. It was pretty cheap and I wanted to remember why I liked it so much.

And I do remember.

Fushigi Yugi is not a bad work. It's interesting enough and has a lot of cute/funny scenes. It was the art that I didn't like and its overdose in drama. But the characters, especia
Ann Sevilla
I loved the anime series of fushigi yugi. In fact, I had pictures of Miaka, Tamahome and the other characters on my bedroom wall at one time. Although, Miaka is a bit of a Mary Sue, annoying at times, that did not deter me from loving the story and finishing the series.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Sure, sure, this is very cliched.. but oh man, I enjoyed it. Thank goodness Goodreads has a "you might also like..." feature, otherwise I probably never would have picked this up. Can't wait for the next volume!

SWON 2015 reading challenge book five hundred and thirty five.
Ashraks
having watched the anime during high school I was thrilled to find all the volumes in the library sale. the 1st and 2nd volumes were identical to the anime. while it's not as great as the fruits basket, this series is definitely interesting
Akihisa Carriosn
Nov 09, 2014 Akihisa Carriosn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes historical fiction!
Recommended to Akihisa by: Nobody.
I didn't exactly enjoy this book as much as I'd hoped to. I find the main heroin Miaka Yuki to be stale and unoriginal, it has its share of good moments. The art style isn't that pleasing, it makes some of the characters seem distorted.
Rebecca Ann
This was a pretty hilarious and over the top manga. Some of the lines made me laugh out loud, like when Miaka finds out the emperor is not a woman and says "Nothing Above. A-and below is some mysterious object I know nothing of--" lmao. Second favorite quote from Tamahome "I realize that I am a kind, macho beefcake of a martial artist". The main character is a spunky mary sue, but its hard to hold it against her. This book does have some mature subject matter. It suggests near-rape situations an ...more
Ms. Bassett's P1A...: WROTE A REVIEW!!!! 5 9 Dec 05, 2012 07:53AM
  • Mars, Volume 02 (Mars, #2)
  • Magic Knight Rayearth I, Vol. 1 (Magic Knight Rayearth I, #1)
  • From Far Away, Vol. 1
  • InuYasha: Family Matters (InuYasha, #2)
  • Sailor Moon SuperS, Vol. 03
  • Marmalade Boy, Vol. 1 (Marmalade Boy, #1)
  • Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 2
  • MeruPuri, Vol. 1 (MeruPuri, #1)
A Japanse shoujo manga-ka. She is known for her works Fushigi Yūgi, Alice 19th, Ceres: The Celestial Legend, Fushigi Yūgi Genbu Kaiden and Absolute Boyfriend. She likes all music, except heavy metal and old traditional music.

She received the Shogakukan Manga Award for shōjo for Ceres, Celestial Legend in 1997. Since writing her debut short story "Pajama de Ojama" ("An Intrusion in Pajamas"), Wata
More about Yuu Watase...

Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 02: Oracle
  • Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 08: Friend
  • Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 09: Lover
  • Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 10: Enemy
  • Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 11: Veteran
Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 01 Alice 19th, Vol. 1 (Alice 19th, #1) Ceres, Celestial Legend: Aya (Ceres, Celestial Legend #1) Fushigi Yûgi: Genbu Kaiden, Vol. 01 Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 02