Start by marking “The Private Life of the Cat Who... (Cat Who... SSC3)” as Want to Read:
The Private Life of the Cat Who... (Cat Who... SSC3)

The Private Life of the Cat Who... (The Cat Who... SSC3)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,184 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Fans of the Cat Who... series get an intimate look at the private lives of those extraordinary Siamese cats Koko and Yum Yum--the most unlikely, most unusual, most delightful team in detective fiction.

In this charming collection of feline antics, readers will discover why Qwill considers Koko a veritable clone of T.S. Eliot's Rum Tum Tugger, how Yum Yum was rescued from a
Published September 28th 2004 by Jove (first published October 27th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Private Life of the Cat Who..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Private Life of the Cat Who...

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian FlemingMoo by Jane SmileyChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Horton Hears a Who! by Dr. SeussMr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? by Dr. Seuss
Onomatopoeic Titles
60th out of 68 books — 12 voters
The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. ChestertonThe Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver SacksThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréThe Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own M... by Catherynne M. Valente
"The {_______} Who " Titles
249th out of 271 books — 80 voters

More lists with this book...

Kaila
Apr 02, 2009 Kaila rated it it was amazing
Being a long time fan of this series compelled me to track down this book and add it to my Mt. TBR (Mount To Be Read). I am glad that I did as I loved it. It's only 136 pages long and told from the view point of James Qwilleran (the human main character) in a journal style. The book relates how Qwill came to have his two feline roommates because as any cat lover knows you do not own cats, the best you can hope for is a peaceful partnership (source of that quote later).

The book not only contains
Lee Gunter
Mar 20, 2014 Lee Gunter rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
This is not a barn burner (whatever that would actually mean), but it's a pleasant enough read. For those unaware, this is a collection of anecdotal stories about the two cats, Koko and Yum Yum, who feature in the authors "The Cat Who..." series of books. If you are a fan of those, you should enjoy this book very much.

I recommend this book for "The Cat Who" fans first and foremost. It's for you. It would also be a good read for someone who wants to dip their toe in that pool (a rather large pool
Aurian Booklover
Dec 08, 2014 Aurian Booklover rated it did not like it

The Cat Who was the first cozy mystery series I ever read (in Dutch) so when I discovered this new to me book at the book fair for only 1,49 I snatched it up. Sadly, the book is not really worth the money. It is filled with very very short stories and childish pictures, reaching back to the books. So if you have read the series, there is really nothing new in this book to discover. It is like memories from Jim Qwilleran about his cats, when he first got them and their antics.

If you have never
Kirsti
Sep 07, 2015 Kirsti rated it really liked it
I love the Cat Who books, but this is just a refresher with little new information. I love the writing style as always, and the poems were cute (they've been in the books already though) This book is also rounding out my collection nicely, maybe one day I will find the Cat Who cookbook as well. Four stars because I can't bear to have a Cat Who book at any less.
Chazzi
Feb 04, 2016 Chazzi rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a quick and fun read. Done in a journal format, it has tidbits about Koko and Yum Yum. How each cat came to live with Quilleran. Their quirks and habits. How they have helped solve some of the mysteries.

If you enjoy these two feline detectives and their adventures, then these glimpses into their histories is right up your alley.
Dawnastebbins
Jun 22, 2009 Dawnastebbins rated it it was amazing
Love it, love it, love it!! Lilian Jackson Braun is a cat person's cat person. She understands. Wonderful light reading; the more i read of this author, the more i want to read. Luckily there are scores of Cat Who books. I just love how she dedicates her books to her loved one: "The Husband Who...".
Jun 30, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
“The Private Life of the Cat Who” lets new readers catch up with Koko and Yum Yum
If you are a new reader to the long-running “Cat Who” mystery series, I can recommend this slim handbook to help you catch up with the cats. “The Private Life of the Cat Who” by Lilian Jackson Braun devotes short chapters to the accomplishments of the famous Siamese duo of Koko and Yum Yum.
You do know how James Qwilleran came to possess this extraordinarily gifted and whiskered feline, popularly known as Koko, don'
Nancyann
Dec 24, 2015 Nancyann rated it liked it
If you are a fan of The Cat Who...series then you will enjoy this book that consists of 22 articles concerning Koko, Yum-Yum, and owner Quil. It is a short, cozy read that will take you about an hour to complete.
Susan Pope
Aug 30, 2015 Susan Pope rated it it was amazing
An excellent quick read. Written about a pair of wonderful Siamese cats from the eyes of their owner James Mackintosh Qwilleran.
Demonkittie
Oct 09, 2014 Demonkittie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
Cute short little book written sort of Journal style about the cats Koko and Yum Yum. I do so love this series.
S.
Jan 22, 2016 S. rated it liked it
A stroll down memory late if you've read her other The Cat ... Who books. Nice anecdotes.
Loretta
Jun 06, 2016 Loretta rated it it was ok
Shelves: cat-mystery
This was a very quick read and was just highlights of the books in the series-yawn!
Samantha
Aug 03, 2016 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it it was ok
this was a realy stupid book. i love the cat who mysteries, but this was just like a recap of all of them with no plot at all. it made me sad.
Lee
This could have been titled "The Cat Who...Companion" as it is basically a summery of a number of mini stories that were included in the plot line of this books in this series.
Kaushalya
May 12, 2009 Kaushalya rated it liked it
Shelves: mine
I like all the "Cat who"s that I've read. I first came across this book on my first day in a New York hostel. I was very much alone (no one on my floor had come back to the hostel) AND lonely (just left SL for two years) and I was looking around the common room for light reading when I came across this cat book that someone had left behind.

They are so cute that I read them whenever I feel in need of brainrest!
Jul 15, 2007 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: july2007
Nice supplement to the Cat Who books, especially since the main draw for me is the cats. But Qwill is fascinating with how much he digs his cats, and this gave insight as to how the cats came to live with him, and some good stories about them. Just shows the relationship a bit more, and shows how they are totally the boss of Qwill.
Turtle
I don't understand this book or why it was written. It reads like the ramblings of an obsessed and pretentious cat lady (or man, as the protagonist happens to be). There was no mystery and no plot.

It's only redeeming factor was how short it was. So I didn't have to suffer through it long.
Heather
Nov 10, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
This book will be a fun read to anyone who read and enjoyed the other books in the series. It is written as though they are journal excerpts from the main character. He mentions quite a few of the old favorite characters. I loved the limericks as well. It was an all around fun read.
Trudy
Jan 17, 2013 Trudy rated it it was ok
Cute, but if you are a fan of Lilian Jackson Braun's Cat Who... series, you probably know all this, and if you are not, it won't make a lot of sense.

These tidbits are really much better when interspersed throughout a Moose County mystery. I definitely missed the mystery.
Gill
Jul 18, 2009 Gill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cat-lovers
Shelves: catwho, cats
I enjoyed reading a lovely hardback version of this book, but found it was composed of snippets from most of the books in the Cat Who series that I had already read, so it seems a bit of a cheat - like Stargate when they are out-of-budget and use clips from previous programmes.
Aug 06, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
Recommends it for: cat lovers, Faith Gaspare
These two Siamese cats have many so mini-adventures, or rather episodes of mischief, that I was left thinking "dang cat!" often throughout the book. If you're any kind of cat lover, this book (and series) is for you. This particular one is a really quick read.
Riana Elizabeth
I love my Siamese cat, so became interested in "The Cat Who..." series, centered on 2 of the breed. However, of the group, this short book didn't interest me too much. I'm giving it 3 stars because I'm attached to the characters, but try one of the other books.
Marcia
Sep 17, 2013 Marcia rated it liked it
This is a short book of short stories about the cats in the Lilian Braun books. They are interesting to cat lovers even if the books have not been read. For those readers who have enjoyed Braun's books, they give a little explanation for the cats' behavior.
Mary
Apr 11, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
This was a cute book. As a fan of the series I have been working my way through this series. Most of this book appeared in the previous books but it was a nice collection of stories. If you hadn't read the earlier books in a while it was a great refresher.
J. Ewbank
May 09, 2010 J. Ewbank rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-good-read
This book is not one of the "Cat Who" series but involves short stories about the two cats. I normally do not like short story books, but this one is very good and a good read.

J. Robert Ewbank authro "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Melissa
Jan 04, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
a cute, quick read that made me love the charms of koko and yum yum even more.
Susan Adkins
Apr 13, 2012 Susan Adkins rated it it was amazing
Do you know how Qwill came to have Koko and Yum Yum? Read this book and you will find out. These stories let you know who, what, where, when, and why of these dective cats. their antics will warm the hearts of cat lovers everywhere.
Debbie
Apr 12, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by this author. It was in a basket of books I have been trying to get to for quite a while. I love cats so I found the little the short little chapters to be a quick and enjoyable read.
Lynn Diane
Aug 13, 2012 Lynn Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends of cats
I loved this book. It's more of a philosophical look at why cats are so darned appealing to some of us, not a typical Braun mystery. I loved it and plan to buy one of my own (or keep this one until the library police find me)!
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Private Life of the Cat Who... 1 2 Jan 17, 2013 07:52AM
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Whisker of Evil (Mrs. Murphy, #12)
  • The Cat Who Killed Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Sleight of Paw (A Magical Cats Mystery, #2)
  • The Cat, the Lady and the Liar (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #3)
  • Cat in a Midnight Choir (Midnight Louie, #14)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...

The Cat Who... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)