The Ghost in the Big Brass Bed (Nina Tanleven, #3)

The Ghost in the Big Brass Bed (Nina Tanleven #3)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  303 ratings  ·  16 reviews
When sixth grader Nina Tanleven starts working at an antiques shop, she never expects to stumble onto a mystery -- or into danger. But that's exactly what happens when she and her best friend, Chris, go to pick up an antique wardrobe at old Miss Watson's. From the moment the girls set foot in the run-down mansion, they sense that it's haunted -- even before they discover t...more
Published September 1st 1991 by Yearling

❀angela
This series will always have a special place in my heart, always. Because we never forget the books that sparked our love for reading.
Ilana Waters
Bruce Coville's books are always about more than what meets the eye. In The Ghost in the Big Brass Bed, he tackles nothing less than the horror and fruitlessness of war. But don't worry--anyone looking for a good, old-fashioned ghost story is sure to get it as well. I know it’s a cliché, but I laughed, I cried—sometimes on the same page. With a hint of peaceful spirituality that I notice so often in his work, Coville closes the book with an ending that satisfies in more ways than one.

(End note:...more
trina
i started updating the inventory in our library today- i work at an elementary school- and couldn't resist bringing a couple of the books home, books i looooooved in like, fourth grade, because clearly i'm made of 99% nostalgia and 1% human being. this one i did not love in fourth grade, but i did- and do- love bruce coville, and i can safely vouch that fourth-grade me would have loved this book. it's creepy, it's got a spunky heroine, one of those little towns where everyone wished they lived w...more
Morgan
This cover scared the crap out of me when I was little. Not sure why! Haha.
Kelley
Bailey
In terms of children's books, especially children's horror books, Bruce Coville's Nine Tanleven series is solid. This is the third book, and you don't need to read the other two to enjoy it. It's basically a really good ghost story with some historical interest involved - the painter is fictional, but doing a google image search for WWI era paintings brought up some pictures that were similar to the mental images Coville painted. Just read it.
Laurel
This book was actually pretty good considering I sat down at 4:15 and had it finished by 5:30. The plot was unique and suspenseful. My only problem with this book was Coville's concept that ghosts took a human form, gave off their own light, could move objects, and interact with you. It seemed a little dumb...and took away a lot of the mystery of ghosts.
Deborah Harris
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Katie
Oct 17, 2013 Katie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Katie by: Angela Demott
This book was very plot-driven. And it was a good plot. I found the main character/narrator a bit unrealistic. She was an 11-year-old with a maturity and perspective that didn't suit her age. The book was engaging; it was a ghost story that I would've enjoyed as a child.
Heidi
As an aspiring children's author, I found this book riveting in terms of creative plot twists. Every chapter end is a cliff hanger that draws you onto the next page, and pretty soon you've read all the way through.
Fairy
Feb 21, 2009 Fairy added it
wen u meet new people, dont always think they r ur frends the first time u meet them, dont trust people out ther.
also ghost arent scary evil or mean, they r just poor people tryin to find somethin.
Tara
Here it is Jaime!!! one of my favorite preadolescent ghost books!! The beginning of the ghost obsession....... this not the same cover, but it is the book. hehe.
♥Rachel♥
This was probably my favorite Bruce Covill ghost books. We read one in school and I read the rest. They are spectacular and leave you on the edge of your seet!
Linda
My kids and I all enjoy Coville's books. Good ghost/mystery story that kids will enjoy. Note there is one use of the "d" word near the end of the story.
Hanna
Apr 12, 2012 Hanna added it
This book was really good. But, the character that I really hated was that she seemed nice, but then towards the end, she turned out evil.
Karen
Jun 26, 2011 Karen added it
i LOVE it especially cause its a mystery love them

Sunday
This shit was scary as hell when I was 7. Didn't sleep for a month. Thanks, Coville.
Carrie
Carrie added it
Jul 11, 2014
Kayla-Jhoe Schmitz
Kayla-Jhoe Schmitz marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Sarah added it
Jun 07, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
  • Ghosts Beneath Our Feet (An Apple Paperback)
  • Ghost Cadet
  • The Ghost of Fossil Glen
  • In The Stone Circle
  • Old Hat, New Hat
  • Let's Dance, Little Pookie
  • Stonewords: A Ghost Story
  • A Family Apart (Orphan Train Adventures, #1)
  • Blossom Culp and the Sleep of Death (Blossom Culp, #4)
  • Reluctant God
  • Part-time Princess
  • Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family, #5)
  • The Man Who Was Poe
  • Winnie's War
  • Tituba of Salem Village
  • The Ghosts
  • The Ghost Sitter
  • The Mystery Cruise (The Boxcar Children #29)
Into the Land of the Unicorns (Unicorn Chronicles, #1) Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2) Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2) My Teacher is an Alien (My Teacher is an Alien, #1) William Shakespeare's: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Retellings, #2)