Start by marking “12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee: Like Me” as Want to Read:
12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee: Like Me

12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee: Like Me

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  79 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Who Are We to Judge?
We have met the Pharisees, and they are...us. That's because we are all slaves to self-righteousness and judgmentalism. It's built into human nature. We set "the standard"--the list of do's and don'ts--to which others must adhere. Then we associate this predetermined behavior with righteousness and declare, "A 'Christian' wouldn't do that."

In this book
Published March 1st 2000 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about 12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee

Nannette Serra
Mar 06, 2014 Nannette Serra rated it liked it
Shelves: 12-steps
I had a hard time getting into this book. I was put off by the words "Christian Pharisee." Jesus made it clear that the Pharisees did not know God so I had a hard time with any Christian being put in the category of a Pharisee. Fischer believes this too becauae he states on p. 18 "Notice how obvious it is to Jesus that these Pharisees and representatives of the law have not entered the kingdom of heaven."

It wasn't until I reached p. 74 that I was able to resolve the conflict of using the phrase
John
Feb 15, 2014 John rated it it was amazing
Growing up in a conservative Christian home can have its disadvantages. One of the biggest is that you may have the tendency to shape your life and your self-worth around how you should look, rather than on the contents of your heart. You know WHAT you should look like; it is easier to focus on that, then on having the right heart to get there.

When it finally dawns on you that the Gospel message is for you, too, it starts to shake the foundations of how hard you have worked to keep up your image
Eric
Dec 10, 2014 Eric rated it liked it
This book was recommended by the leader of a men's group I participate in. Using the format of the 12 step recovery program, Fisher created his own 12 steps to recovery from Phariseeism - the self-righteousness often found in many modern Christians. His insights are quite accurate and helpful. Those within the Christian community could benefit from his insights and analysis of the attitudes and actions of many 'evangelical' Christians and how to move toward a more authentic and honest disciplesh ...more
Brian
Nov 11, 2008 Brian rated it it was amazing
Don't judge other people. Always consider what they might be going through that you are not aware of.
Cary Sawatsky
Jul 28, 2011 Cary Sawatsky rated it really liked it
For anyone who grew up in a conservative Christian church (like me) this is a must-read.
Steven
Mar 01, 2015 Steven rated it it was amazing
The Pharisee resides in us all. All of us have the tendencies to judge, condemn and point out the wrong in others, when we really need to apply it to ourselves. This book gave me pause to think about who I really am and how I’ve been viewing (and judging) those around me, when I should be applying it to myself. So, I’ve come to learn that I need to join the PA (Pharisees Anonymous) to overcome this addiction called Pharisee and this book is a great help in that process.
Bobbe
Jul 17, 2014 Bobbe rated it it was amazing
Although written in 2000, there is nothing dated about the truths in this book. John Fischer is honest, thoughtful, and challenging---and he shares his journey with Jesus---out of judgment and into joy. I hope our small group can study this book together.
Matt Sheffield
Feb 28, 2016 Matt Sheffield rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
The kind of book that every Christian, no matter how long they have been on their journey, should read and benefit from.
Megan
Oct 22, 2015 Megan rated it really liked it
My husband and I read this aloud together. We both needed it. We still do, and it will probably be one we revisit. I was surprised at how much I liked Fischer's writing style as well as his content. I had never heard of him before, and, ironically, I did judge this book a bit by the cover which sadly I feel does not help the appeal of the book.
Melissa Wohlgemut
Jun 19, 2016 Melissa Wohlgemut rated it did not like it
Too simplistic
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Lesslie
Lesslie rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Phyl
Phyl marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Christy
Christy is currently reading it
May 02, 2016
Margaret E. Palmasani
Margaret E. Palmasani marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Danyelle Edwards
Danyelle Edwards marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Nithin Thompson
Nithin Thompson rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
D. Owsley
D. Owsley rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Melissa Newport
Melissa Newport rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Lowell McDonald
Lowell McDonald rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Marita
Marita marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Linda Parkhouse
Linda Parkhouse rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Dan Krodel
Dan Krodel rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

“the call to faithfulness is a call I can answer. Faithful to follow, faithful to confess, faithful to obey, faithful to repent, faithful to believe, faithful to pray and seek God—all these are the requirements of faithfulness. All of them are doable and are, in fact, my responsibility and my joy, having been the unexpected recipient of so great a mercy.” 0 likes
“The shortest route to ascendancy is the degradation of someone or some group. It is a dangerous and deadly shortcut to self-esteem that never arrives at its destination.” 0 likes