Start by marking “Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution” as Want to Read:
Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution

Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  4,706 Ratings  ·  259 Reviews
A mere fifteen years ago, computer nerds were seen as marginal weirdos, outsiders whose world would never resonate with the mainstream. That was before one pioneering work documented the underground computer revolution that was about to change our world forever. With groundbreaking profiles of Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak, MIT's Tech Model Railroad Club, and more, Steven ...more
Published January 1st 2001 by Penguin Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Hackers, please sign up.

Elaine Nelson
I'm still sort of processing this book a week later. All the status updates I posted are notes I wrote on paper while I was reading, alas I ran out of scraps while sick in bed, somewhere around pg 350. (the goodreads entry says this has more pages than the copy I have, btw.)

Note: this is a really long and somewhat rambling review.

A few themes stick out, notably West coast vs East coast. No, seriously. The first section is all MIT hackers, the other two are west coast focused (hippie hackers and
Max Lybbert
Aug 06, 2014 Max Lybbert rated it did not like it
Why didn't O'Reilly bother to edit out the unneeded phrases like "known to man" ("the best computer in the world known to man")? A decent editor could have cut 20% out of this book, and made it much better in the process.

Additionally, there are enough cases of deep confusion about technical terms and famous events that I had to research any stories I was not already familiar with to see if the details were correct.

The writing is terrible, punctuated with ridiculous narrative commentary. For inst
Marc
Nov 22, 2008 Marc rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It is a documentary about various aspects of computing. The first part is utterly excellent. It is about the birth of the "hacker ethic" around the DEC PDP machine in the MIT AI Lab. It is very funny and very inspiring. Some of the people in that section of the book have disappeared into obscurity, so the book is amazing for capturing this lost part of tech history. The second part is about the personal computer revolution. It covers the Altair machine, the Apple I / II and ...more
Noah
Jan 03, 2014 Noah rated it liked it
This book is divided into three basic sections. The first, about MIT hackers in the 1950's and 1960's, is outstanding. The second, about homebrew hardware culture in the Bay Area in the 1960's and 1970's, is decent but bloated. The third, about game hackers and Sierra On-Line, is mostly worthless. I'd recommend reading the MIT section and then readily giving up on the book after that.
Larry
Mar 24, 2012 Larry rated it it was amazing
This book, the original version, changed my life when I read it in high school. It, along with "The Cuckoo's Egg", put me on the road to computer science in college.
Ryan
May 20, 2010 Ryan rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a really interesting look at the history of computers as a DIY technology, stretching from the 1950s to the 1980s, when the first edition of it was published.

I find a lot of computer users look at the things like they're magic boxes, likely run by black magic and/or hamsters running in wheels; I confess to having moments where I've felt that way myself, but I'm trying to educate myself a bit more on how computers actually think and operate, and this book helped cement that understandin
Craig Cecil
Feb 24, 2012 Craig Cecil rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computers, favorites
Let's get this out of the way up front—the term "hackers" here refers to the original ideology of the word from the earlier days of computing, when hackers blazed the trail of our modern hardware and software systems. These are not the modern day denizen hackers of destructive, malicious infamy. Based on this understanding, this book should be required reading for anyone connected with the computing profession. It serves as a rich history of the genesis of modern day computing, from the earliest ...more
Willian Molinari
May 04, 2016 Willian Molinari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paid-somehow
Great book. John Carmack said it was the most inspiring book for him and I can understand why.

The word Hackers is not the same these days, but the Hacker Ethics still lives in some of the programmers out there. Those guys that keep hacking (and/or programming) for hours and hours just for the joy of create and modify things still exists.

It made me think about the old times when I used to use part of my "sleep time" to work on some C++/SDL code just to understand how could I bring 2D game to life
Nick Black
Mar 23, 2008 Nick Black rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
F'n awesome, obviously. Everyone should have read this by now, or by several years ago rather.
Brian
Jun 25, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brian by: goodreads
Shelves: grbpp
(4.0) The Hacker Pantheon

Really cool sketches of the hackers we know (or didn't) from early days at MIT up through the dawn of the personal computer. There were a few oddities (claiming brøderbund was Scandinavian for "brotherhood" (last I checked, Scandinavian wasn't a language...think maybe he meant Norwegian?), and that Bill Gates wrote DOS for the IBM PC (didn't he buy it from some guy for like $400?). The only other drawback for me was that some of the early chapters were a bit dull for me
Ryan
Aug 08, 2012 Ryan rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute favorite tech-related books of all time. Read it a half-dozen times, at least.

It's somewhat better-written than most of Levy's books (like the painful "In the Plex"), though it bears the same biases that his other work does. I don't know if it's a long-form journalist tendency, but Levy's books and articles all seem to be written as if they're telling The Whole Story, though they are heavily skewed by the people who were most willing to be interviewed extensively. Any writer h
Nigel
Jul 31, 2014 Nigel rated it really liked it
This book was good at the outset, and the treatment of the freakish hacking pioneers was excellent, but I felt that the book lost its way somewhere beyond half-way through - it ended up being a paean to the good ship Apple Computers, and all who sail in her. Apart from making me suspicious of the writer's motives, this annoyed me because it was blinkered, ignoring so much else that was going on at the time. However, considering the year it was written and the ongoing nature of the subject ...more
Vasil Kolev
Jan 03, 2014 Vasil Kolev rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech, history
This was somewhat mediocre. The book started ok, with the AI lab in MIT and the hackers there, but then got into some stuff which has nothing to do with hacking in any form, and the focus on Sierra On-line is unjustified.
All things considered, not a useful book beyond the first 100-150 pages.
Jim
Jul 06, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look at the early hackers & computers. Especially for those in the computer field, it's a fun look at history. Well written & engaging.
Jim
Jan 03, 2014 Jim rated it it was ok
Shelves: technical, e-book
OK. It's too long, and, in places, too long-winded, even semi-religious in its fervour.
Patrick Pilz
Oct 09, 2016 Patrick Pilz rated it it was amazing
In other industries, you would call them innovators. Hackers are the ones that push the envelope, that try to do things with computers that have not been done before. They are those that push the boundaries from what you can do with computers, smartphones, internet and any other technology.

Their culture arose in the late 60s through the early 80s almost simultaneously at MIT and Silicon Valley. This culture lives today, for the good and bad, with us still.

This book is more than 25 years old, bu
Elin
Aug 03, 2014 Elin rated it it was ok
I don't usually review before finishing but I'm not sure I'll get through this one so might as well.

It's a bloated and repetitive book that focuses on a very specific area and drags it out as far as you can conceivably take it.

The author seems to think the people in the book are extraordinarily interesting, with their petty neuroses and self-centred immaturity, but unfortunately, they are ...not.

Do yourself a favour and watch the excellent films Pirates of Silicon Valley and Micromen instead,
Andrew Schultz
Jan 12, 2014 Andrew Schultz rated it it was amazing
Some books, I just have to want, and other books, I need to sit and think about every 100 pages. These are rarer, but usually I need to do this because of how they brought up something from my own life. Hackers is the second type. In this case, it was about the story behind the BASIC programs I loved to read about and try to write as a kid.

I've noted that other reviewers mentioned that Levy is biased for Apple. This may be true, and unfortunately, I can't do diligence on that. What I can say is
Soh Kam Yung
A wonderful look at the early days of computing when computers were waiting to be used and hackers were the people who would push them to the limits and make them available to all. This is an updated edition that includes an afterword where Levy catches up with some of the original hackers (like Bill Gates and Steve Wozniak) and interviews new hackers like Facebook's Zuckerberg.

The book covers three types of hackers: the hardware hackers who worked with the early mainframe and minicomputers and
Thom
Jan 23, 2016 Thom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
In the early eighties, Apple II aficionado Steven Levy wrote a history of the early personalities involved in computers. Most of them considered themselves at one time Hackers, that is living by the Hacker Ethic. Roughly speaking, this regards access to computers and information as paramount, judging all by their skills and talents with computers - not their salaries or station in life.

I read this history in the summer after high school, having had a taste of TRS-80 and timeshare computers at sc
Brett Stevens
Mar 04, 2014 Brett Stevens rated it really liked it
This is a book about the early age of hacking before computers controlled so much of our world that "hacking" became a science of exploitation. This is the original meaning of hacking, which is to squeeze extra performance out of equipment by bending the "proper" rules, which often have to do more with administrative control than technological limitations. I find this encouraging as an outlook as it is what all of us should always do to whatever limitations we find in life: work around the ...more
Wessam Khalil
Aug 13, 2014 Wessam Khalil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer
I can safely say that this book really changed the way I think. From now on I can say that my life has been changed by this book.

What a great think to learn the great history of the industry you are working in. I have always considered myself living only to understand computers and to work with computers, but after reading this book, I found out that because people thought the same thing, they changed the world.

I have a lot to say about this book but whatever I say will not be enough. But I am
Philip Hollenback
Jan 13, 2016 Philip Hollenback rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, computer
This book had a lot of good background material on the early beginnings of the computer revolution. It was particularly interesting to read about the guys at MIT in the 60s and 70s (Richard Stallman's predecessors).

I'd recommend this book if you are already a giant computer nerd like me and want to know more about how we got to where we are today. To be honest, regular people might find this account a little boring.
David
Mar 17, 2010 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My heritage, in a way. It's weird how the book was written before I was born, and even back then, a lot of the exciting stuff in computing had already become history. (I had always assumed that computers didn't become a big thing until the 90s.) It made me nostalgic (as usual) for the good old days that were never mine. And now I need to go find out what happened to all these hackers and companies from back then.
Chris Sharp
Jul 27, 2010 Chris Sharp rated it really liked it
Excellent, one-of-a-kind history of "hacker" culture (not the bad kind) up to the mid 1980s. Includes the beginnings of both (what became) free/open source, including GNU and Richard Stallman, and proprietary software, including Microsoft and Apple. Great companion piece to The Cathedral and the Bazaar.
Devin
Oct 19, 2008 Devin rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for anyone who loves computers. It is well written and full of interesting information.

Looking backwards helps me understand current technology better.
Arayeb Masood
Nov 15, 2014 Arayeb Masood is currently reading it
An excellent book detailing computer history, reading this book makes me feel good about my tech craving.
Ed Wagemann
Jun 05, 2014 Ed Wagemann marked it as to-read
The Internets affect on Mankind:
Justin Everett
Sep 16, 2008 Justin Everett rated it it was amazing
While not the fastest paced of books it is very well researched and makes you very involved in how that generation grew with computers.
Mike
Nov 22, 2007 Mike rated it it was amazing
This is a great, great nonfiction book about the history of computers - it's for everyone, but certainly for the peeps in my industry, get this!
computer 1 1 Nov 30, 2016 08:13AM
  • The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier
  • Cyberpunk: Outlaws and Hackers on the Computer Frontier, Revised
  • Fire in the Valley: The Making of the Personal Computer
  • Free as in Freedom: Richard Stallman's Crusade for Free Software
  • Dealers of Lightning: Xerox PARC and the Dawn of the Computer Age
  • The Cathedral & the Bazaar: Musings on Linux and Open Source by an Accidental Revolutionary
  • The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage
  • Underground: Tales of Hacking, Madness, and Obsession on the Electronic Frontier
  • Accidental Empires
  • The Fugitive Game: Online with Kevin Mitnick
  • Revolution in The Valley: The Insanely Great Story of How the Mac Was Made
  • On the Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore
  • Just for Fun: The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary
  • Rebel Code: Linux and the Open Source Revolution
  • What the Dormouse Said: How the Sixties Counterculture Shaped the Personal Computer Industry
  • Masters of Deception: The Gang That Ruled Cyberspace
  • The Soul of a New Machine
  • Dreaming in Code: Two Dozen Programmers, Three Years, 4,732 Bugs, and One Quest for Transcendent Software

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Steven Levy (born 1951) is an American journalist who has written several books on computers, technology, cryptography, the Internet, cybersecurity, and privacy. Levy is chief technology writer and a senior editor for Newsweek, writing mainly in the "Science & Technology" section. He also writes the column "Random Access" in the monthly feature "Focus On Technology." Levy is also a contributor ...more
More about Steven Levy...

“Systems are organic, living creations: if people stop working on them and improving them, they die.” 2 likes
“To hackers, a program was an organic entity that had a life independent from that of its author.” 1 likes