Start by marking “Penny Pollard's Diary” as Want to Read:
Penny Pollard's Diary

Penny Pollard's Diary (Penny Pollard #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Penny's diary reveals her love of horses and her hatred of such things as wearing dresses, doing homework and old people until a meeting with the unusual eighty-one-year-old Mrs. Edith Bettany begins to challenge her point of view.
Published June 1st 1987 by Oxford University Press (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Penny Pollard's Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penny Pollard's Diary

Tara Calaby
Ohgosh I loved these books SO much, and this one in particular. She gets a cow jug in it, and I had one myself and thought it was SO cool that we had that in common :D

Years later, I studied with the illustrator Ann James and, although she's done more amazing projects in terms of artistic prowess, it was her work on the Penny Pollard books that had the inner primary-school-me so much in awe of her that I found it very hard to talk to her in class!
Sally
The original and the best! And how fabulous was old Mrs. Bettany? I recall watching Penny Pollard on the ABC as much as reading her, too - can't recall if they were episodes on Kaboodle, or a series all of its own.

(Aha! Google to the rescue, as usual!)

Re-read May 2012 and I swear, I read the first line and could have just RECITED the rest of it, it was so gloriously familiar! I must have read this hundreds of times in primary school. BEST. BOOK. EVER. Also, it's funny to read it back as a grown-
Heather Iveson
Revisiting a book that I considered fabulously cool when I was eight or so. Glad to find it's still fantastic and Penny is just as rebellious and determined as I remembered. I picked this up as a conversation reminded me of this book, and well, heck, why not?

The edition I read this time wasn't quite the fabulous original edition I read in primary school, given that book would now be around thirty I daresay any copy in a library has suffered a painful death by now.

Still, good fun to revisit somet
Meg
3 stars

Okay, so I was totally one of those girls who went through a stage where I found great interest in horses and everything about them.

The edition I had of Penny Pollard's Diary featured a swap card with a picture of a horse. Of course, I just had to have it and bought it at the Scholastic book fair in primary school. I remember really liking it because Penny was Australian and there was that immediate connection and familiarity there. It was a very typical middle-grade book for girls that I
Gen
I loved Penny Pollard books as a kid. I was a goody goody so I really liked reading about the adventures of this cheeky troublemaker. This is the first one and tells the story of the unlikely friendship between Penny and an old lady.
Michelle
This was one of my favourites as a kid. Penny is a wonderful character and I remember badly wishing that I had a cow jug of my own!
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Muhammad Ali
Muhammad Ali marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Umaima Laghari
Umaima Laghari marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Pat Elvidge
Pat Elvidge marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
DanThy Nguyen
DanThy Nguyen marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Mary Davidson
Mary Davidson marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Anna Stewart
Anna Stewart marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Georgina
Georgina marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Gemma
Gemma added it
Apr 22, 2015
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
  • My Place
  • Where the Forest Meets the Sea
  • Blinky Bill
  • Pigs Might Fly (Bluegum)
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • Round the Twist (Uncollected)
  • Playing Beatie Bow
  • Wombat Stew
  • Storm Boy
  • Galax-Arena
  • The Little Refugee
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • Del-Del
  • Blabber Mouth (Rowena Batts, #1)
205124
Winner of the Dromkeen Medal (1991).
More about Robin Klein...

Penny Pollard (6 books)
  • Penny Pollard's Letters
  • Penny Pollard in Print
  • Penny Pollard's Passport
  • Penny Pollard's Guide to Modern Manners
  • Penny Pollard's Scrapbook
Hating Alison Ashley People Might Hear You Came Back To Show You I Could Fly The Listmaker Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn Left (Zyrgon, #1)