Penny Pollard's Diary

Penny Pollard's Diary (Penny Pollard #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Penny's diary reveals her love of horses and her hatred of such things as wearing dresses, doing homework and old people until a meeting with the unusual eighty-one-year-old Mrs. Edith Bettany begins to challenge her point of view.
Published June 1st 1987 by Oxford University Press (first published 1983)

Tara Calaby
Ohgosh I loved these books SO much, and this one in particular. She gets a cow jug in it, and I had one myself and thought it was SO cool that we had that in common :D

Years later, I studied with the illustrator Ann James and, although she's done more amazing projects in terms of artistic prowess, it was her work on the Penny Pollard books that had the inner primary-school-me so much in awe of her that I found it very hard to talk to her in class!
Sally
The original and the best! And how fabulous was old Mrs. Bettany? I recall watching Penny Pollard on the ABC as much as reading her, too - can't recall if they were episodes on Kaboodle, or a series all of its own.

(Aha! Google to the rescue, as usual!)

Re-read May 2012 and I swear, I read the first line and could have just RECITED the rest of it, it was so gloriously familiar! I must have read this hundreds of times in primary school. BEST. BOOK. EVER. Also, it's funny to read it back as a grown-...more
Michelle
This was one of my favourites as a kid. Penny is a wonderful character and I remember badly wishing that I had a cow jug of my own!
Yonica
Yonica marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Lanitd
Lanitd marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Raja Nain
Raja Nain marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Jenny
Jenny added it
Mar 26, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Person
Person marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Ruyao
Ruyao added it
Mar 14, 2014
Hina Saeed
Hina Saeed marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
205124
Winner of the Dromkeen Medal (1991).
More about Robin Klein...
Hating Alison Ashley People Might Hear You Came Back To Show You I Could Fly The Listmaker Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn Left (Zyrgon, #1)