Four Views on Salvation in a Pluralistic World

Four Views on Salvation in a Pluralistic World (Counterpoints)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Religious pluralism is the greatest challenge facing Christianity in today's Western culture. The belief that Christ is the only way to God is being challenged and, increasingly, Christianity is seen as just one among many valid paths to God. In Four Views on Salvation in a Pluralistic World, four perspectives are presented by their major proponents.
Published August 6th 1996 by Zondervan (first published October 1995)

Sean
First I'll give you what the book says about itself, then a quick synopsis from my reading:

In Four Views on Salvation in a Pluralistic World, four perspectives are presented by a major advocate of each:

Normative Pluralism: all ethical religions lead to God (John Hick)

Inclusivisim: salvation is universally available, but is established by and leads to Christ (Clark Pinnock)

Salvation in Christ: agnosticism regarding those who haven't heard the gospel (Alister McGrath)

Salvation in Christ Alone: (R....more
Justin Mooney
I've read several books now in Zondervan's Counterpoints series (as well as a couple IVP "four views" books that are basically the same thing), and I am glad that Four Views on Salvation in a Pluralistic World is included in this series. It is a good book (overall) on a very current and difficult issue.

One of the best features of this book (as with all of the Counterpoints books) is the structure that allows multiple authors to engage in dialogue with each other. Each author contributes an essa...more
Bill Bradford
The book has a good format. Each contributor presents his view, the others respond, and then the contributor replies to the responses.

It presents a good introduction to four viewpoints on Christian salvation. I don't think anyone will change their mind as a result of reading, but the contributors did a good job, and you will find yourself intrigued. I personally found Hick's arguments to be weak (numerous places) and was a bit surprised that I agreed with McGrath more than the others.
G Walker
Read this one in conjunction with IVP's Three Views on What About Those Who Hvve Never heard. Neither volume was especially helpful... good provocative questions... lots of liberal nonsense with reactionary fundamentalistic wagon circling... Would have liked to see a better selection of authors, and a more genuine dialogue and wrestling through the issues that just axe grinding.
Clayton Tinervin
One of the best of the counterpoints series in my opinion. Three thinkers that I respect from three very different points of view are presented in this book: McGrath, Pinnock and Hick. I am with McGrath on this subject, but I found all the chapters very helpful. Great read!
Adam B.
I enjoyed this far more than I expected. And I was surprised to find that I actually engaged with each of the four views, rather than just glossing over the words.
Don
Talbot Course: Systematic Theology 3- Christ, Salvation & the Holy Spirit

Any of the perspectives book are worth a read!
Aimee Moore
Aimee Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Daniel Christie
Daniel Christie marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Curt Matzenbacher
Curt Matzenbacher marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Michael Whitworth
Michael Whitworth marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Jonathan Tomes
Jonathan Tomes marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Leslie
Leslie added it
May 30, 2014
Leanne
Leanne added it
Mar 23, 2014
Mary
Mary is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2014
Trevor Lloyd
Trevor Lloyd marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Christopher Goins
Christopher Goins marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Carlos Astorga
Carlos Astorga marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Jessica Barounta
Jessica Barounta marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Melissa Hope Brown
Melissa Hope Brown marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Philosophy of Religion An Interpretation of Religion: Human Responses to the Transcendent Evil and the God of Love The Existence of God God Has Many Names