Start by marking “Bloodstone (Jon Shannow, #3)” as Want to Read:
Bloodstone (Jon Shannow, #3)

Bloodstone (Jon Shannow #3)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,248 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The tyrannical rule of the Deacon and his Jerusalem Riders has unleashed upon the world a sea of bigotry and hatred. But when a church is burnt and its congregation slaughtered, a rider appears and hunts down the killers. Jon Shannow is back.
Paperback
Published December 1st 2005 by Orbit (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodstone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodstone

Dan Schwent
Jul 18, 2010 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark Tower Fans
Bloodstone is a very good ending for the saga of Jon Shannow. "I am Jon Shannow and I never lie."

Shannow settled down at the end of The Last Guardian. This story starts with him wounded, on the run, and stricken with partial amnesia. The villain of the story, at least in the beginning, is a mysterious religious leader called The Deacon. Shannow's quest takes him across dimensions and ties into the ending of The Last Guardian nicely. Amaziga and Sam Archer make appearances, as do Clem Steiner, Be
Fred
Oct 25, 2011 Fred rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It's been about ten years since I read this series but it was amazing. When I can read a book a decade ago and several hundred books and a few thousand beers ago and still recall what it was even about it goes without saying that it was good, then again, I don't think that David Gemmell ever wrote anything in his life that would qualify as "bad".

If you like anything else by Gemmell you'll like this, if you like violence, epic fantasy, dark and angry good guys, time travel, and a mix of high tec
T.L. Barrett
Apr 20, 2011 T.L. Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have just finished the final chapter in David Gemmell's Jon Shannow trilogy, and what a ride it was. I couldn't imagine a more satisfying conclusion to this thrilling series. Any fan of westerns, fantasy, post-apocalypse, or suspenseful action will love this series about a post-apocalyptic gunslinger that is known as the Jerusalem Man for his early quest for the lost fabled city.

This book has everything great about the other two volumes and more. It is the only book in the series that could no
Mayank Agarwal
One of the best series i have read. Read it for it's amazing storytelling in apocalypses word with western style heroes and town added with a touch of magic, time travel and multiple world to complete the fantasy element.

Really enjoyed it and a great ending to a awesome series. The book started with a bang and ended with another.

The beginning is very unexpected as we see a very different Jon Shannow. He is old, having amnesia and has lived a polar opposite life for 20 years. His journey and wh
Zenodotus
Dec 18, 2011 Zenodotus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ageing Clint Eastwood as The Man With No Name takes on an army of werewolves and a great big soul-devouring demon in a post-apocalyptic world. A thoroughly enjoyable romp, enlivened by an abundance of likeable characters, and a bewildering series of time-travel-driven plot-twists, the last of which is truly glorious.
David
This one really gives the other titles in this series a muddy face. Confusing, back and forth time travel... a lack of focus on the coming bad guy... just a mixed mess of ideas that just never really came together to create the sense of foreboding the author wanted to create.

The final conclusion was pretty clever, but the author weebled-wobbled and fell down too many times getting there. SORELY LACKING
Loomy Mišurda
Jun 27, 2015 Loomy Mišurda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not expect time travel in a supposedly fantasy book. It made it interesting though. Post apocalyptic world, magic stones and the ultimate threat is going to destroy multitude of worlds. And who is going to deal with this? Of course Jon Shannow, the mysterious man who radiates power. It was a pleasure to read this book even though it differs from what I have expected. David Gemmell does not disappoint.
Derek Bell
May 31, 2016 Derek Bell rated it it was amazing
Gemmel was my favourite author growing up. I love all of his books, but man, I got a real soft spot for Shannow!
Wild west meets sword and sorcery (sort of), it's a book that only he could have thought of, but it - and the entire series - are books anyone can love.
Don
Sep 07, 2015 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll have to read the first two in this series to fairly evaluate this one...I mistakenly thought this was a standalone book. The story is good but I'm sure it will be much better once I see how the action got to Book 3!
Tanvir Muntasim
Nov 04, 2014 Tanvir Muntasim rated it liked it
A fitting conclusion to this post apocalyptic western with fascinating insights into Christian fundamentalism. Action packed and thought provoking- made me miss Gemmell more!
Jayne
Apr 03, 2012 Jayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like David Gemmell's novels and mourn that there will be nor more. I have reread most of his novels often and bought many extra copies to pass on. So I was somewhat puzzled that as I read this story it seemed completely unknown to me. The odd event seemed familiar so either I read it so long ago I've forgotten or Gemmell's penchant for starting stories from the end, with references to what has already happened, (although he hasn't written that story yet), is what makes it familiar.

Eithe
Nethound
Jun 15, 2007 Nethound rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
The John Shannow books were an interesting excursion. An odd post-apocalyptic/fantasy setting that had some very interesting ideas and cool story lines.

John Shannow was always a little too Clint Eastwood cool for my tastes, brooding and mysterious. Not until the end of the series did I ever find out enough about him to really care deeply for him.

All the same, I enjoyed the books and odd settings, just wish the main character had been a little more engaging at times.
by Ax
Dec 30, 2015 by Ax rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastico
Fine del Ciclo

Il ciclo delle Sipstrassi, dopo il calo Arturiano, riprende quota e si conclude degnamente: il sapore western torna ad impregnare il Mondo di porte parallele Gemmelliano, ridonando smalto e rinvigorendo un'ossatura narrativa accattivante nella sua semplicità.
Saga tra le meno incisive dell'autore da me lette, acerba, che comunque offre alcuni spiragli fantastici degni di essere letti.
Josh Meares
This was a good tale with a nice ending. I have a hard time buying the changes in Jon Shannow, especially the twisted bit at the end. One reason why I don't try to write novels is the difficulty in creating a truly wise or intelligent character. It is hard to write above yourself, but quite easy to see the mistakes of others. Still this book is worth reading just to listen to the Deacon talk.
Mike Moak
Mar 27, 2015 Mike Moak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Don't get me wrong, this was another outstanding book, it's just that I felt there were loose ends and a few dead ends in the story. One character seemed to have a great story arc and then he just fizzled out. For these reasons and more I am taking off one star, but this is still well worth a read and a good, if not great, conclusion to the series.
Debby Allen
This was a toughie - lots of different threads to pull together and make sense of. Raises time-travel's dilemma of course - destiny or free will. I've heard Gemmell worked hard on this one. After reading Koontz's third Frankenstein book (where he just completely punted) and other series that fall under their own weight, I like Gemmell better and better.
Craig Appleby
Oct 12, 2015 Craig Appleby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book continues the post apocalyptic western style saga of John shannow. The Mix of western, fantasy, and sci fi should not work. I have seen similar sorts of works fail spectacularly but the brilliant writing style of gemmell somehow brings it all together. These three books are gemmell at his very best, and a must for any fan of his work.
Charles
Jul 28, 2010 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I hesitated a bit at reading the Jon Shannow books because they looked like they'd be in a more modern setting, and they are, with guns. However, I came to like the Shannow character as well as any of Gemmell's heroes and much enjoyed the whole set of Shannow books.

This is my favorite of the Shannow books.
Ryan Curry
Mar 07, 2012 Ryan Curry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful way to end my adventure with David Gemmell. I find myself incredibly upset that I will never read a new Gemmell novel again. I cannot express how amazing I find this man's books. I hope that others will agree.

RIP David Gemmell
Aven
Jul 26, 2010 Aven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was a wierd book. Its one of those sequels where its about the main character, but he's not exactly as cool as he was in the previous books, sort of like the dying story of this character... I still like it though. Awesome series.
Greg Staddon
Jul 08, 2012 Greg Staddon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hugely enjoyed all the Shannow books. This final one is certainly the most ambitious. It doesn't tie up all the loose threads, but I'm quite glad about that. It fits nicely with the series.
Strongly recommended for fantasy fans.
Terry Collins
May 01, 2013 Terry Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series of books, reminiscent of Stephen King at his finest. Great protagonist and story. Started reading the first one and had to finish the series.
Paul
Feb 11, 2009 Paul rated it it was ok
These just don't grab me like his other series do. I'd stick with the Rigante before picking up another Jon Shannow book.. :-/
Nathan
Jun 09, 2008 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty original post-apocalypse story, an odd mix of old west and end of civilization themes. Fun read.
Anders Lövgren
Oct 04, 2012 Anders Lövgren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Besides Metro 2033 it has the best ending ever encountered in a book.
Hatebeams
Sep 29, 2010 Hatebeams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a good day when mutant wolves get uzi'd in the face.
Steven van Hasselt
An awesome conclusion to an awesome trilogy.
Herobeard
Sep 18, 2010 Herobeard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic ending that ties the trilogy up well.
Arthur
Mar 09, 2009 Arthur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: liked, fantasy
A good conclusion to Jon's adventures.
Aleksandr
Feb 03, 2012 Aleksandr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply 5 stars!
  • Firedrake (Dragonrealm, #1)
  • The Women And The Warlords
  • The Thrall and the Dragon's Heart
  • Tetrarch: A Tale Of The Three Worlds (The Well of Echoes, #2)
  • The Morpheus Factor (Stargate SG-1 #4)
  • The Coming of Wisdom (The Seventh Sword, #2)
  • Loose Ends
  • The Demon King (The Seer King Trilogy, #2)
  • The Demon Lord (Book of Years, # 2)
  • Watcher of the Dead (Sword of Shadows, #4)
  • Psychosphere
  • A Thief in the Night (Ancient Blades, #2)
  • Perseus Spur (Rampart Worlds #1)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel ...more
More about David Gemmell...

Jon Shannow (3 books)
  • Wolf in Shadow (Jon Shannow, #1)
  • The Last Guardian (Jon Shannow, #2)