Quest for Lost Heroes (Drenai Saga, #4)

Quest for Lost Heroes (The Drenai Saga #4)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  4,292 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Refusing to look the other way when a young girl, another victim of the blood-hungry Nadir hordes, is seized by slavers, Kiall, a peasant boy, begins an unlikely rescue mission that leads him into the dangerous world of warriors and manhood. Reprint.
Published May 31st 1995 by Del Rey Books (first published April 15th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Quest for Lost Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quest for Lost Heroes

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Complete Chronicles of Conan by Robert E. HowardThe Blade Itself by Joe AbercrombieElric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock
Sword and Sorcery
99th out of 469 books — 198 voters
The Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksGraceling by Kristin CashoreThe Hero of Ages by Brandon SandersonThe Painted Man by Peter V. BrettLast Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie
2008 DGLA Fantasy Book Nominees
69th out of 97 books — 217 voters

More lists with this book...

Evgeny
The Nadir raiders captured young women from a small village. A young romantic man from this same village happened to be in love with one of them (it was a one-sided love). He set out on a hopeless quest to rescue his love. He was lucky as several great heroes who survived the last onslaught of Nadir hordes joined him out of sheer boredom - mostly. Still a few expert fighters do not make a task of finding a woman in vast Nadir steppes and getting out with her alive any easier. In fact, the compan...more
Cameron
Another good, not mind blowing entry for the Drenai Series.

At this point, it seems that all of Gemmell's books (or atleast this series) are going to be fast paced, classical fantasy stories. He did change up the plot from the first two novels, as there was no main characters defending against a siege against all the odds, so that was nice.

These books remind me of the Redwall books from my childhood: Each book can be read as a stand alone, there are always descandants/relatives of characters from...more
David
Talk about jumping into the middle of a series.. Okay, apparently, I read the first two books of this series a long time ago. However, I was able to jump into this one and not feel like I was missing anything. Really-- this was was almost a stand alone story.

I remember meeting the big axe wielding hero from the earlier books... so I was not completely lost. The big battle that made the guys our heroes was covered in those, but not reading them probably would not affect the reader too terribly.

On...more
Graham
Did Gemmell ever write a bad book? I've made it my business to find out, and so far, so good. QUEST FOR LOST HEROES is another in his Drenai saga which began with the excellent LEGEND and shows no signs of slowing down at this stage.

As the title would imply, this book adopts a quest/journey narrative and casts a band of ageing one-were-heroes as its leads. The story is slight and the characters fill out the usual archetypes, but as usual Gemmell uses this background as a springboard for his two...more
Scott Rachui
I have read a lot of fantasy books through the years. Recently, it seems the trend is toward endless series, each volume of which is the size of War and Peace. Refreshingly, Gemmell tells his stories in much fewer pages, and his stories end up being some of the most well-written in modern fantasy literature.

One thing I love about Gemmell is how his stories are all self-contained. They have definite endings and you can finish one, knowing you won't have a cliffhanger forcing you to rush out and b...more
Jayne
I thought that I had read all of Gemmell's novels so it was a nice surprise to come across this one and discover that I hadn't. Especially since, I had no business buying this in the first place because we are moving and trying to divest ourselves of as many books as possible. But he's one of my favourite authors, and it was a buy one, get one free deal.... for 1 euro. Seriously, who could resist.

This one goes to the top of my Gemmell novels. He's good at writing about seemingly unlikeable chara...more
Todd
I greatly enjoy that Gemmell writes about aging heroes. Gemmell seems to have stepped away from his usual focus on the Thirty's good vs. evil battles. This is a fun story and well worth reading.
Jordan Maywood
Podcast review of this book on my podcast no less! Here:

The Ultimate Friend Zone Maneuver

Hello!

David Gemmel really seems to like having aging heroes in his novels. A fact may be that he had a hand in writing the script for movies including: Space Cowboys and the newly released Last Vegas. I discuss:

Quest for Lost Heroes by David Gemmel (Book #4 of the Drenai Saga)

ALSO I crank the bookiness of this Book Bwednesday up to two by discussing another book...

It's Not Easy Bein' Me: A Life of No Respect...more
Mayank Agarwal
Gemmell's book are fast paced and this one is no exception but felt the plot was weak as compared to his other books. The magic element sometimes seem too powerful and other-times too weak, the inconsistency is not enjoyable. Also i really enjoyed Tenaka Khan in the king beyond the gate out here he was about to step on the evil side which is not cool. Also none of the reasons for the heroes joining the quest make sense.

What was good was the ending and the hint for things to come.
Iceman9t9
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Τέλος αντάξιο των υπολοίπων τριών βιβλίων, με τους πολεμιστές του, τους σαμάνους του, το σεξ του και τα όλα του. Λυπήθηκα που μου τελείωσαν οι Ντρενάι... Λέω όμως να μην πέσω με τα μούτρα στους Ριγκάντε, την άλλη τετραλογία του Γκέμμελλ, γιατί θα μπουκώσω με ωραίο φάνταζι και μετά τα άλλα θα μου φαίνονται άνοστα.
Paul Fitzpatrick
Flawed but entertaining.

Gemmell had a great talent for writing likeable characters, defined in few words. Here we have some more great heroes including Chareos the Blademaster and Beltzer the Axeman. Gemmell leaves us a lot of gaps to fill when he constructs characters but the blanks are simple to fill.

The flaws, as usual with Gemmell - simplistic combat, simplistic plots. But the book is fun, nostalgic, and most of all filled with likeable heroes. This is not his strongest book, but also it's n...more
Anna Tan
For some reason, Quest for Lost Heroes was a little slow going for me.
It could be because I haven't really been following the Drenai Saga (I'm a bit spotty in my reading of Gemmell as he's not really that common, or maybe I haven't really noticed him that much).
The one thing that stood out for me, as it has in all the Gemmell books I've read so far, is his concepts of nobility, love and sacrifice, that goes counter culture to the civilisation around, and yet is not in the least preachy.
It just...more
Rick
Gemmell adds another layer to his Drenai saga with this excellent book. One of the best modern fantasy authors and it is a great shame he has passed. This is fantasy with an undercurrent of realism. One of the interesting things about the Drenai series, he did not write it in chronological order. So the books came out all over the timeline of the ongoing, centuries-long saga, which makes it even more fun to read. Relunctant heroes, sacrifice and love are some of the themes of this particular boo...more
Adrian Collins
Bloody hell I love David Gemmell's work. His grasp of the good and bad in each person is fantastic and I love the way that each book in the series is not really a direct sequel of the previous book, but a world where characters of previous novels are spoken of as heroes and villains from centuries past.

As I'm working my way through this series I'm finding myself really enjoy watching his works grow from Legend through to the finale of Troy.

The man is the father of heroic fantasy, of that there c...more
Henrik Emilsson
Gammaldags fantasy. Mindre dålig än del 1 och 2 av serien som jag tidigare har läst.
Mark
My forth Gemmell and so far so good. The plot and the characters were all a bit basic, but the story was engaging and fun to read. The Drenai and the surrounding lands become more alive with each David Gemmell book I read. Each story feels like part of a bigger picture. It may not be the most sophisticated tale ever told, but I enjoyed it anyway.
Colette
I'm rather undecided about this one. The plot was a bit cheesy and weak, and the heavy reliance on rape as a way to avoid the author's wee bit weak traditional combat writing was a let down for me. However, the author created strong, distinctive, and well-developed characters which kept my interest. The climax was furthermore constructed with skill and there was no exasperating premature let-down. All in all, not too shabby; this one goes to the bookshelf, not to the burn pile.
Joshua Simon
This book has everything that's great about Gemmell, awesome fight scenes, larger than life characters, strong dialogue, and a quick entertaining story. However, one thing I've noticed about Gemmell is that his endings seem rushed and don't come together as well as the other 3/4 of his books. This is true here as well. If it wasn't for the significant drop in quality over the last 50-60 pages, it would be 5 stars instead of 4.
Justin
This book is PRETTY damn cheesy, I won't lie. But I liked it.

The story of 3 old grizzled warriors whose glory days have passed them by. However, they have the gusto for one last quest. It's a total cheese fest with lines that make you squirm, but hey - you can read it in a day and be inspired to go out later that night.
Debby Allen
Maybe it's just me but this one seemed a little below par for Gemmell - still very good, but not great. There is a lot of story to tell, and it feels like he didn't give himself enough room. Most of the characters are well fleshed, but a few weren't complete, which is rare for him. Still an enjoyable day's diversion.
Nathan
Standard stark, pessimistic fantasy from Gemmell. Group of soldier heroes from the last generation embark on a petty little quest to regain their mojo. They are, of course, mostly doomed. Nobody's a nice guy. The end is abrupt and somewhat confusing. Rated MA for violence, sexual violence, adult themes. 3/5
Camille
Story relies too much on coincidence, cliche, unresolved plot threads and loads and loads of cheese. But I couldn't put it down unlike the other books I tried to read that week. Add Jet Li type characters. Golden.
Alexandre
L'un des meilleurs de Gemell, après "le roi sur le seuil". Une histoire écrite avec toujours le même suspens, des personnages attachants et drôles... Bref, un livre de "fantasy" que vous n'êtes pas prêt de lâcher.
Mark Cameron
This novel has a lot going for it. Action, heartache, disillusionment, unrequited love, coming of age, and more.

A few of David Gemmell's other Drenai novels are better though.

8/10
Margaret Peavey
Seems like the same old stuff. Why bother with reading about has been heroes? Again? Legend was 5 stars but haven't seen anything that good since reading the first Drenai series.
Peter Fiske
Love the late great David Gemmell's books. They are always well written and very readable. Highly recommend to all readers, even those who don't care for fantasy.
Tishangela
I good read. Fast paced and I loved that I didn't really know what the 'questers' were after - or at least not why they were after it.
Donna Barr

One of the first books I read which led me onto reading all his works,it's a pure joy to read
Mike
This wonderful mix of good and bad, of a tale told well and of reluctant heroes stirs my blood. I love it.
  • A Fortress of Grey Ice (Sword of Shadows, #2)
  • Krondor: The Assassins (The Riftwar Legacy, #2)
  • La voie magique (L'assassin royal, #5)
  • The Way Between the Worlds (The View from the Mirror, #4)
  • A Time of Exile (The Westlands, #1)
  • The Usurper (King Rolen's Kin, #3)
  • Black Wizards (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #2)
  • The Sunset Warrior (The Sunset Warrior Cycle, #1)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel...more
More about David Gemmell...
Legend (Drenai Saga, #1) Waylander (Drenai Saga, #3) Lord of the Silver Bow (Troy, #1) The King Beyond the Gate (Drenai Saga, #2) The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (Drenai Saga, #6)