Start by marking “Echoes of the Great Song” as Want to Read:
Echoes of the Great Song

Echoes of the Great Song

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,073 ratings  ·  45 reviews
“A HUMDINGER . . . A MASTERLY TALE TOLD WITH CLARITY AND VERVE.”
The Times (London)

The Avatars are immortal and live like kings–even though the empire is dying. Their immortality is guaranteed by magic crystals whose influence is now waning, overwhelmed by the sheer power of a great flood and a sudden ice age. But when two moons appear in the sky, and the ruthless armies o
Published November 26th 2002 by Del Rey (first published October 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Echoes of the Great Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Echoes of the Great Song

Stephen Roddick
Aug 26, 2007 Stephen Roddick rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Heroic Fantasy Lovers
Great Book.
The story of the final fall of a once great empire.

Synopsis:
The world has turned on it's ends, The poles have shifted, tipping the seas from thier bowls and changing the world forever.

With thier homeland under a glacier, and beset on all sides by barbarians, the remanents of the immortal Avatars have carved a new home. Protected only by the power of thier crystals the Avatars seek to create a new empire.

The crystals are failing and with them the Avatar's power and immortality. The Gr
Mayank Agarwal
Another great standalone book by David Gemmell, loved the way he spins the unique world, it’s destruction to ice age and how the god like race cope with the changed world. While the flow of the book is like any other Gemmell book – a page turner the plot differs quite a lot. With the focus more on world building, unique races and their survival, the book ends up scarifying on the hero angle. Don’t get me wrong the book has many hero characters just they don’t fell as epic as what I expect from s ...more
Jacq
I am so glad I read this book! I read it because of a (very) forceful recommendation. I love fantasy, this didn't really seem like 'my' fantasy book. I was pretty skeptical. Holy was I ever wrong! Gemmell had me hooked after the first page. It was so different and refreshing from most of the fantasy genre I have read lately (urban fantasy). I fell in love with the characters, even the characters I disliked. I loved the use of the tribal songs at the start of each chapter, even if they contained ...more
Charles
Gemmell was equally adept at series and at standalone novels. His imagination was giant. Highly recommended
Graham
Another outstanding fantasy epic from one of the world’s greatest writers of heroic yarns. Echoes of the Great Song contains elements familiar from other Gemmell stories, and yet this is different, thought out to the finest detail, and told with passion and drama.

Gemmell pretty much mixes genres again, throwing in war, romance and mystery, but overall this is a story of adventure, with real flesh and blood heroes to guide us through the carnage.

Gemmell is fine at weaving political detail into h
Barend
I am a big fan of David Gemmell and his novels. His writing style is fast paced and he usually tells interesting stories with relatable characters I enjoy spending time with. Echoes of the Great Song mostly follows this trend with an enjoyable story that is grand in scale.

Unfortunately the story is not told with the flare I’ve come to expect from a David Gemmell novel and I suspect the ambition behind the story is the reason for this. Although I enjoyed the book quite a lot it does not compare
Dark-Draco
What I love about Gemmell's books, is that they can be read as stand alone novels. Don't get me wrong, a love a good fantasy epic series, with 20 odd books and thousands of characters, but sometimes there just isn't the time to invest.

I loved the story set out here - a race of super humans, immortal through the use of crystals, using them to heal, communicate, power weapons or other devices. The arrival of a similar race from another world (our own maybe?), makes them re-evaluate exactly what it
Charles
Due to almost supernatural events life for a once vast, powerful, and intellectual nation seems to be running it's course. Soon there will be a new threat and those who still reign as near gods to the normal inhabitants are'nt to happy about it, and wont give up what they've still got without a fight. And boy are there some fights.
I realy liked this book because in many sences it was a tragedy, and a real struggle for the elite few to try and hold onto their former and glorious lifes, while thei
Ric Douglas
One of the first books by Gemmell I ever read and we'll worth the re-visiting. A seemingly clichě fantasy novel that subtly touches on some interesting socio-political views. A great read and one of Gemmell's really solid outings.
Lisa
Oct 13, 2010 Lisa rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: 3 for £1 library sale
Shelves: 2010, own, fantasy
OK fantasy in which a bunch of dicks is threatened by another bunch of dicks, and must band together with the people they've been dicks to in order to save their world from utter annihilation.

Feeling rather rushed and shallow, I can imagine that if this had not been a stand-alone the reader would have been given enough time to get to know the world and the characters that fill it, but as it is instead we are in the company of a handful of stereotypes and caricatures and their thoughts, feelings
Paul Allard
Standard David Gemmell fare - a one-off so not part of a series. This reads well although slightly too long in the last third. The story of a civilisation trying to hold on to its power with an assortment of main characters, both heroic and interesting.
Brad
Apr 03, 2008 Brad rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Brad by: Laura Gennings
This served as my introduction to David Gemmell and will not be the last book of his I pick up. The characters are memorable and the myth and magic of Echoes' world stand out in the crowd of sci-fi/fantasy. The story and action move along at a good rate and the multiple plot points come together for what promises to be a great climax. Most surprising is the manner in which one of the primary characters transitions from dispicable to admirable throughout the course of the novel. Unfortunately, t ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
قهرمانان داستان: «تالابان» جنگجوئی دل مشغول فاجعه، «ابر سنگ» مردی از قبیله ی اسرارآمیز که در جستجوی عشق گمشده خویش نیز هست، «آنو» تک مقدس خالق زمان، «سوفارینا» دختر کشاورزی که الهام بخش اسطوره ای شد و دیگران... داستان در مورد آواتارهاست که کشف کرده اند میشود نور خورشید را در بلورهای خاصی ذخیره کرد، و با استفاده از همان بلورهاست که فناناپذیر شده، به همه جا سفر میکنند و دیگران را زیر سلطه خود نگه میدارند. سیل عظیمی سرزمین آنها را زیر آب غرق میکند و تنها تعداد اندکی جان به در میبرند، و مرکز انرژی ن ...more
Bibi
Plus half a star for the pulsatillas. Minus half a star for the incessant use of the word "whore"
Stefania
Talaban, Ro, Rael, il pazzo Viruk, Avatar: saggi, dei, egemoni, tiranni.
Sofarita, subumana che riscatta il suo popolo e apre gli occhi agli Avatar.
Cas-Coatl buffo richiamo al dio precolombiano. Almeia dea di cristallo assetata di vita e sangue.
Chi ha il potere è convinto di essere un dio e che chi non l'ha sia subumano. Chi no ha il potere odia chi ce l'ha e trama per rubarglielo. Poi arrivano gli Almec, più forti di tutti, e allora gli Avatar e i subumani si alleano.
In fondo è tutto già vis
Alexandre
Pas le meilleur livre de Gemme mais tout de même divertissant dans le genre. Dans ce roman fantastique, Gemmell revisite le mythe l'Atlantide avec la force et son style habituel. Je n'ai pus m'empêcher de voir en parallèle entre ces civilisations imaginaire et les peuples Maya ou Aztèque que nous connaissons.
Des héros plein de profondeur se partagent une intrigue haletante.
Un guerrier schizophrène, une reine de cristal , une civilisation en déclin, un empire qui s'étend pour assouvir la soif de
Ryan Curry
This book is absolutely incredible!! I literally couldn't put it down the entire time i was reading. Gemmell is an amazing author who surprises me every time I pick up one of his novels. Echoes of the Great Song left me dying for more, it was definitely different compared to the other Gemmell novels I've read. It reminded me of the Tide Lords series by Jennifer Fallon , which was incredible in its own right. I HIGHLY recommend this book, as well as anything by David Gemmell to a lover of fantasy ...more
320bird
神经病战神。
Del de la Mare
Initially started off by finding this book difficult to get into and would of marked it down as one or two stars only. However once the wheels really started to fall of the wagon for the Avatars the book seemed to shift up several gears for me.
The glorious final stand was well written and had me rooting for the Avatars where previously I felt contempt for their whole ethos.
If like me you find this book difficult to start with please continue as it is worth it at the end.
Pravien R
Wonderful story telling by Mr. Gemmell.
BookMarc
I'm a huge fan of Gemmell's work and have probably read about 3/4 of his novels loving all of them to varying degrees...except this one. I don't quite understand why but it just didn't grab me like his other novels and I found it a chore to read. I found the characters uninteresting and the story took way too long to get going.
Most people seemed to have enjoyed this novel, and given that I have loved his other works, perhaps this one just wasn't for me.
Leon Aldrich
One of my all time favorite stand alone novels from David Gemmell. If you're a fan of The Warded Man or The Night Angel Trilogy and have yet to delve into this author/novel, than now is the time!
Mateusz
At the beginning it's hard to read. Later it's hard not to read.
Luc
A little disapointed this book didn't live up to the memory I had of it. I think I first read it ten-ish years and I recall enjoying this book a lot more than today. Ph well, we live, we grow, we learn and we change. Unfortunatelly, as one of the characters in the book says: I will probably forget him and his peers. Mostly because they are all pretty forgettable.
David
David Gemmell's 'other' completely stand-alone novel (though, in most of his works, it's not really necessary to read them in order): the first being Dark Moon. Although this novel shares more than a few traits and similarities as that previous one (and several other of his works), I actually found this to be the better of the two.
Jade
Sep 19, 2010 Jade rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
A great book about an arrogant immortal race that is lead to side with mortals when a stronger and larger danger is upon them. A true Gemmell classic, which I feel could have been done better if lengthened out into a trilogy with more depth. However, as a Gemmell taster it was very enjoyable.
Ben Mason
The story was fine, I suppose, compelling enough, but one nitpicky thing was that there are, in my opinion, too many new and hard to remember names in this one. I know all fantasy novels suffer (in some sense) from this problem, but it honestly yanked me out of the story fairly often.
Mike Moak
Another really good book. I am slowly making my way through all of Gemmell's books. How is it I never heard of this author in his heyday? I loved the story. I loved the writing. I loved the weaving of legend. This is a stand alone book that is definitely worth a read.
Ian Fox
I read this from start to finish one Sunday evening. And enjoyed it immensley, it was my first Gemmell book and i was very impressed. Though when i read a good few of Gemmells books later, on the strength of the above, I found them very, very similar. In fact far to similar
  • Dragonmaster: The Omnibus Edition (Dragonmaster)
  • Sorcerer's Legacy
  • Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3)
  • Alchymist: A Tale Of The Three Worlds (The Well of Echoes, #3)
  • Gilden-Fire
  • Rage of a Demon King (The Serpentwar Saga, #3)
  • Dark Crusade
  • Spirit of the Stone (Shadowleague, #2)
  • The Wizards And The Warriors (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness)
  • The Troll's Grindstone
  • The Deceiver (Chaos Gate, #1)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel ...more
More about David Gemmell...
Legend (Drenai Saga, #1) Waylander (Drenai Saga, #3) Lord of the Silver Bow (Troy, #1) The King Beyond the Gate (Drenai Saga, #2) The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (Drenai Saga, #6)

“An enemy is like a man's most prized flower. It brings him joy to see it buried in the ground.” 3 likes