Start by marking “It's Just a Date!: How to Get 'em, Read 'em, and Rock 'em” as Want to Read:
It's Just a Date!: How to Get 'em, Read 'em, and Rock 'em

It's Just a Date!: How to Get 'em, Read 'em, and Rock 'em

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  640 ratings  ·  76 reviews
A fabulous new guide to dating co-authored by Greg Behrendt, former writer on Sex and the City, who won women's hearts with his three million copy bestseller He's Just Not That Into You.
Published 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about It's Just a Date!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Just a Date!

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Why does someone who has been married for 7 years want to read a dating advice book? ::crickets:: I honestly was pretty curious about Greg Behrendt after hearing soooo much hype about "He's Just Not That Into You". I went into this with an open mind, just wanting to see what these authors had to say about the sucky sucky world of dating.

What did I like about this book? They gave pretty good dating advice in a really funny way. I think the best thing that I took from it was that you should not g
Dorianna
Full disclosure: I don't like dating self help books. On the whole I think they're based on bullshit as their main job security seems to be gender stereotypes, and the insecurities of others.

So then why bother reading one if I'm not going to like it and just complain about it? Why should I step out of my comfort zone and read something I know I probably won't like? And why give my obviously biased opinion on the internet? Honestly?

description

That and I was curious. Maybe I'm wrong about these "Date like
Vincent Truman
What would happen if I, a single white male in his 40s with an ex-wife, no kids and a fondness for writing sketch comedy, wrote a book entitled 'The Third Trimester And What To Expect'? That's about what you get when you have a couple who has been married since before 911 come together and write a book about dating in the 21st century.

Equal parts outdated and unhelpful, the tome attempts to guide women through the beautifully messy world of dating, encouraging them to wholly disregard their own
Susie
I had to order the dern thing since it's only sold in the UK. Once again as in "He's Just Not That Into You," very straightforward, humorous, and realistic advice that is basically the common sense that [some:] women have trouble telling ourselves. Super fun to read.
Jill
Best-selling author of “He’s just not that into you”, Greg Behrendt gives you all the answers to those tricky dating questions. Firstly the author helps you to identify what makes a date, a date. And no, ‘hanging out’ is not a date, and nor is ‘hooking up’ for that matter. Meeting a stranger in a bar and going home together? Definitely – not a date! So, once you’ve discovered the difference between a date and a booty call – what now? Well, don’t panic, as Behrendt says – “it’s just a #@* date, a ...more
Brittany West
Read this entire book within two hours. Behrendt is addicting and pure genius. I own and refer to all 3 of his books obsessively.
Sharon
My friend and I have a little self help book club and so we read this one for funzies. I really liked "He's Just Not that Into You," and actually after reading this book I re-read the parts of HJNTIY that I remember having an impact when I first read it ~5 years ago.

Juxtaposing these two Greg Behrendt books side by side, I came to the conclusion that... Greg is just kind of over the hill re: the dating scene. Whereas "He's Just..." spoke to values and self-respect (more timeless dating notions)
Melanie
ABsolutely loved this book! Straight to the point, no sugar coating it tools not tricks or head games. Everything this book tells you rings true, we have all lost the art of actual dating - along with the art of actual communication (my opinion). The book is funny, entertaining, informative and just plain outstanding! Get your highlighters out ladies :)
Micah
Wow. This book was an eye-opener. Basically, it told me some things other people have told me...but Greg's delivery is so much stronger and, I don't know, more effective, I guess. I found this book really helpful, and I'm glad I bought it so I can go back through it during various stages of my dating life. I highly recommend it.
Danielle Allen
I enjoyed this book, but not as much as Greg’s other two books (“He’s Just not that into You” and “It’s Called a Breakup Because Its Broken”). This one was lacking in some of the cleverness and compassion of the other two books (compassion more due to the subject matter differences – less needed and central then “broken”), but it was still a very funny book full of clear, straightforward advice.
Carolina Walker
Teaching single people the DATING is in fact important when trying to find THE ONE. A date is just that..a date. If it goes well it could lead to a brilliant future. If it doesn't go so well...at least you'll have a funny story to tell. ;)

I related to every single chapter...and after almost a year of marriage, I am proud to say that I did it "right" with the last one. ;)
Jane Baker
I really LOVE how it started and I felt really inspired to get out there and be awesome and fill my life up!! Towards the end, where it talks about dating more I got a little bored. But It's good what they say about women setting the standard. That guys will just being seeing how much they can get for as little effort or commitment as possible.
Patricia
Diversion Books provided me with a copy of this book as part of the Goodreads First Reads program, which is probably a good thing, because I would have hated myself had I actually purchased this overly-long, sophomoric "self-helper"! It's Just a F***ing Date is Greg Behrendt's latest pop-psych book about dating - a subject he seems to have squeezed dry. His co-author is his wife, Amiira Ruotola. It's a good thing for the dating world that Greg and Amiira got together - 2 fewer egomaniacs for the ...more
Rachel
I picked up this book because I loved "He's Just Not That Into You," it was hilarious. With this book I found myself wishing it ended sooner. I don't know what it was that I really didn't like. They did have a lot of good suggestions about how to approach dates, especially using less intensity. Reminding (mostly women)to calm down and that most dates don't always develop into relationships. Give guys a chance because you never know if you will like them until you get to know them.
One of the pro
phoenix
American get up and date motivator. Men are expected to ask women out on dates (and to know they should); at commercial venues like restaurants, men are expected to pay - aimed at heterosexual women readers with the goal of a serious, long-term relationship. The writing is chatty, suitable if you like a good read.

Accounts of dating from both sexes help you understand the thinking of daters. There are interactive sections after each chapter where you get to think about the advice in your own lif
Tara
Amazing, Amazing, Amazing. I am obsessed with Greg, even got to meet him last year. This is the kind of book that you do not want to read quickly. I really relished every single thing he said and I really wanted to take my time reading it so I could absorb all his awesome advice. I have no idea why this book was only released in Australia but it is a tragedy for all of America who can't read it. No one gives better, funnier and more true advice than Greg. No matter what kind of relationship or n ...more
Ash
I loved Greg Behrendt since I read his book, "He's Just Not That Into You." The movie adaptation, in my opinion, sucked! However, what made the book so good is that Behrendt gives such clear, concise and easy advice that I was left with the "Oh, duh!" feeling from reading it.

"It's Just a F***king Date" is the same way. Clear advice with a humorous slant. This is a how to date the right way with respect for yourself and then respect for your future partner.

I agreed with a lot of it. The dater has
Micky Stew
When I picked up this book I just knew immediately I was going to love it. Having read all of Greg's books, I was overjoyed to see him and his wife were publishing again. As I read the first few pages I found myself cracking up because after all, Greg is a comic and his wife is just as funny as he is. They make a fabulous writing team.

Even though this book is not necessarily saying anything we don't already know, most of us single folks are acting as if we really don't know what he's talking abo
Sally Siawidjaja
Jun 15, 2009 Sally Siawidjaja rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all the 'jablayers' everywhere
Recommended to Sally by: no one
Shelves: non-fiksi
I like reading Greg Behrendt since I read He's just not that into you. However, I think this book is too talkative. Too much theory and advise. I prefer more question and answer type of book rather than the normal how to book. Having said that, I still enjoy this book, very funny.
Rob
I'm a straight man, and I bought this book because of its good Amazon reviews. If I'd looked a little closer I would have seen that the Amazon reviewers are almost all women. This book is written for a female audience, and I gave it three stars as a man; plenty of women surely gave it five stars, so things balance out.

To you women, this book is right about us men. But don't get too smug about it, because you women have your own rotten underhanded moves too. Besides, the system is permanently gam
Wyleen
I liked He's Just Not That Into You and It's Called a Breakup Because It's Broken (both of which I read in my 20s, surrounded by friends I wanted to say all of those things to), so I thought this might be kind of a fun read. Maybe it's my age or the fact that I don't throw myself at men, but I found this to be simple tips for desperate women who are trying to lock down a man. (Granted, I did think of someone I should loan this to.) Basic, common sense, and not even really very entertaining...jus ...more
Claudia
Funny, informative, a great help for those challenged in the dating field, an amusing read for whoever doesn't have any problems getting a date whatsoever.
Anino
As always, Greg Behrendt's words of advice are "laugh out loud hilarious" and chock full of hard-won wisdom.

Giving this one: 4 stars
Vivian
-- NO SPOIL --

Having already read "It's called a breakup because it's broken" and "He's just not that into you" before, I knew I was in for a treat again.
Funny at times, small stories about dating disasters, and to-do lists, make it all a very easy read! However, it doesn't mean it's not "serious", it will make you think and inspire you to work on certain aspects.
I really like his/her point of view, something a very good friend or family member would tell you. Down to earth, the advice given ref
Lydia
Jan 12, 2011 Lydia is currently reading it
funny and insightful, nothing different than so many people have told me in the past but they really lay it out for you...
Nichole Renner
Really witty and funny.
Michelle
Audiobook. At first it made me laugh: we live in a world that no longer dates. We hang out and/or hookup. And their observations about singles and our hang ups are pretty funny, spot on. But then they give their dating strategies, and it's basically The Rules. The man does the asking. The woman tricks him into wanting to ask. The woman waits for him to ask for the 2nd date. Do not have sex before 10th date. Etc. These are not things I want to hear, but I suppose I am a 40-something singleton for ...more
Tripleguess
"In fact, you will suit up, show up, and be sparkly and exotic because that’s what you should do all the time in every aspect of life."

This sentence summarizes my feelings about the book. It a) sounds admirable and b) is unrealistic.

I'm glad to see someone advocating standards that set dating apart from unpaid prostitution, even if they are as weak as "Wait ten dates before doing IT." And it's absolutely important to be the best you you can be, etc. But I get the feeling that the target audienc
Lisa Niver
This book inspired my article: Carpe Datem! Seize the Date!

I almost never met George, my travel partner and now husband. When he first emailed me, I liked his photo and his profile. But I had been on dozens of first dates with not one second date and needed a rest from online dating and unfulfilled high expectations. I sat in my chair, stared at the computer and did not write back. I wanted to but at that moment, the opportunity sailed away.

If I could have read Behrendt and Ruotola's book, It's
LeAndra
People with great senses of humor wrote this book. For example, how can you not appreciate descriptors like, “Love feels unlike anything else on this planet, with the small exception of the Cadbury Creme Egg.” Unfortunately, these people with great senses of humor should have used a better proof reader as misspellings and duplicate or missing words abound. That said, I'm glad this book exists. The basic premise is when you expect less, you get less. Written with a dose of humor, of course.
Ask Greg and Amii...: * Ask Greg and Amiira! 50 163 Oct 10, 2013 02:39PM
  • Total Flirt: Tips, Tricks, and Techniques Every Girl Needs to Get the Guy
  • The Choice Effect: Love and Commitment in an Age of Too Many Options
  • Don't Call That Man!: A Survival Guide to Letting Go
  • The Manual: A True Bad Boy Explains How Men Think, Date, and Mate- And What Women Can Do to Come Out on Top
  • The Dysfunctional Relationship Manual: A Checklist and Workbook
  • Forgive Me Father for I Have Loved
  • Become Your Own Matchmaker: 8 Easy Steps for Attracting Your Perfect Mate
  • Prince Harming Syndrome: Break Bad Relationship Patterns for Good -- 5 Essentials for Finding True Love (and they're not what you think)
  • Maybe He's Just an Asshole: Sharpen Your Bullshit Detector, Rock Your Expectations, and Become Your Strongest Self!
  • Becoming a Woman of Freedom
  • Committed To You (Coventon Campus #2)
  • No Weapon Formed (Boaz Brown, #2)
  • I Quit
  • Single: The Art of Being Satisfied, Fulfilled and Independent
  • The DNA of Relationships
  • Straight Talk, No Chaser: How to Find, Keep, and Understand a Man
  • Always Hit On The Wingman...and 9 Other Secret Rules for Getting the Love Life You Want
  • Bitches on a Budget: Sage Advice for Surviving Tough Times in Style
Gregory Behrendt is an American stand-up comedian and author. His work as a script consultant to the HBO sitcom Sex and the City, starring Sarah Jessica Parker, paved the way for co-authoring of the New York Times bestseller He's Just Not That into You (2004), later adapted into a film by the same name. Apart from that he also hosted two short-lived talk shows, The Greg Behrendt Show (2006) and Gr ...more
More about Greg Behrendt...
He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys It's Called a Breakup Because It's Broken: The Smart Girl's Break-Up Buddy quando termina é porque acabou Close Encounters (UN-CABARET STAND-UP COMEDY)

“You can’t fix people or make them change; the only thing you can do is pack your shit and leave if it isn’t working for you.” 20 likes
“People don’t respond to what you tell them; they respond to what you show them.” 9 likes