Start by marking “It's Just a Date!: How to Get 'em, Read 'em, and Rock 'em” as Want to Read:
It's Just a Date!: How to Get 'em, Read 'em, and Rock 'em

It's Just a Date!: How to Get 'em, Read 'em, and Rock 'em

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  792 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
If you hook up at a bar and go home together - are you dating? If he text messages you, 'what are you wearing?' - are you dating? If he tells you where he's going with his friends after work and asks you to bring your friends - are you dating? No idea? We're here to tell you. Now is the time to redefine what kind of dater you are and how you date. Here's where we show you ...more
Published 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about It's Just a Date!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Just a Date!

Dorianna
Full disclosure: I don't like dating self help books. On the whole I think they're based on bullshit as their main job security seems to be gender stereotypes, and the insecurities of others.

So then why bother reading one if I'm not going to like it and just complain about it? Why should I step out of my comfort zone and read something I know I probably won't like? And why give my obviously biased opinion on the internet? Honestly?

description

That and I was curious. Maybe I'm wrong about these "Date like
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Why does someone who has been married for 7 years want to read a dating advice book? ::crickets:: I honestly was pretty curious about Greg Behrendt after hearing soooo much hype about "He's Just Not That Into You". I went into this with an open mind, just wanting to see what these authors had to say about the sucky sucky world of dating.

What did I like about this book? They gave pretty good dating advice in a really funny way. I think the best thing that I took from it was that you should not g
Vincent Truman
What would happen if I, a single white male in his 40s with an ex-wife, no kids and a fondness for writing sketch comedy, wrote a book entitled 'The Third Trimester And What To Expect'? That's about what you get when you have a couple who has been married since before 911 come together and write a book about dating in the 21st century.

Equal parts outdated and unhelpful, the tome attempts to guide women through the beautifully messy world of dating, encouraging them to wholly disregard their own
Susie
Aug 15, 2010 Susie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to order the dern thing since it's only sold in the UK. Once again as in "He's Just Not That Into You," very straightforward, humorous, and realistic advice that is basically the common sense that [some:] women have trouble telling ourselves. Super fun to read.
Jill
Jan 12, 2011 Jill rated it it was amazing
Best-selling author of “He’s just not that into you”, Greg Behrendt gives you all the answers to those tricky dating questions. Firstly the author helps you to identify what makes a date, a date. And no, ‘hanging out’ is not a date, and nor is ‘hooking up’ for that matter. Meeting a stranger in a bar and going home together? Definitely – not a date! So, once you’ve discovered the difference between a date and a booty call – what now? Well, don’t panic, as Behrendt says – “it’s just a #@* date, a ...more
Brittany West
Sep 23, 2011 Brittany West rated it it was amazing
Read this entire book within two hours. Behrendt is addicting and pure genius. I own and refer to all 3 of his books obsessively.
Sharon
Sep 18, 2013 Sharon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My friend and I have a little self help book club and so we read this one for funzies. I really liked "He's Just Not that Into You," and actually after reading this book I re-read the parts of HJNTIY that I remember having an impact when I first read it ~5 years ago.

Juxtaposing these two Greg Behrendt books side by side, I came to the conclusion that... Greg is just kind of over the hill re: the dating scene. Whereas "He's Just..." spoke to values and self-respect (more timeless dating notions)
Melanie
Jul 24, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ABsolutely loved this book! Straight to the point, no sugar coating it tools not tricks or head games. Everything this book tells you rings true, we have all lost the art of actual dating - along with the art of actual communication (my opinion). The book is funny, entertaining, informative and just plain outstanding! Get your highlighters out ladies :)
Micah
Mar 07, 2010 Micah rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was an eye-opener. Basically, it told me some things other people have told me...but Greg's delivery is so much stronger and, I don't know, more effective, I guess. I found this book really helpful, and I'm glad I bought it so I can go back through it during various stages of my dating life. I highly recommend it.
Danielle Allen
Aug 24, 2011 Danielle Allen rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but not as much as Greg’s other two books (“He’s Just not that into You” and “It’s Called a Breakup Because Its Broken”). This one was lacking in some of the cleverness and compassion of the other two books (compassion more due to the subject matter differences – less needed and central then “broken”), but it was still a very funny book full of clear, straightforward advice.
Carolina Walker
Jul 26, 2013 Carolina Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Teaching single people the DATING is in fact important when trying to find THE ONE. A date is just that..a date. If it goes well it could lead to a brilliant future. If it doesn't go so well...at least you'll have a funny story to tell. ;)

I related to every single chapter...and after almost a year of marriage, I am proud to say that I did it "right" with the last one. ;)
Jane Baker
Apr 30, 2012 Jane Baker rated it liked it
I really LOVE how it started and I felt really inspired to get out there and be awesome and fill my life up!! Towards the end, where it talks about dating more I got a little bored. But It's good what they say about women setting the standard. That guys will just being seeing how much they can get for as little effort or commitment as possible.
Patricia
Sep 21, 2013 Patricia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Diversion Books provided me with a copy of this book as part of the Goodreads First Reads program, which is probably a good thing, because I would have hated myself had I actually purchased this overly-long, sophomoric "self-helper"! It's Just a F***ing Date is Greg Behrendt's latest pop-psych book about dating - a subject he seems to have squeezed dry. His co-author is his wife, Amiira Ruotola. It's a good thing for the dating world that Greg and Amiira got together - 2 fewer egomaniacs for the ...more
Rachel
Jul 12, 2015 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because I loved "He's Just Not That Into You," it was hilarious. With this book I found myself wishing it ended sooner. I don't know what it was that I really didn't like. They did have a lot of good suggestions about how to approach dates, especially using less intensity. Reminding (mostly women)to calm down and that most dates don't always develop into relationships. Give guys a chance because you never know if you will like them until you get to know them.
One of the pro
phoenix
Sep 16, 2013 phoenix rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: galley, arc
American get up and date motivator. Men are expected to ask women out on dates (and to know they should); at commercial venues like restaurants, men are expected to pay - aimed at heterosexual women readers with the goal of a serious, long-term relationship. The writing is chatty, suitable if you like a good read.

Accounts of dating from both sexes help you understand the thinking of daters. There are interactive sections after each chapter where you get to think about the advice in your own lif
Tara
Jan 09, 2010 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, Amazing, Amazing. I am obsessed with Greg, even got to meet him last year. This is the kind of book that you do not want to read quickly. I really relished every single thing he said and I really wanted to take my time reading it so I could absorb all his awesome advice. I have no idea why this book was only released in Australia but it is a tragedy for all of America who can't read it. No one gives better, funnier and more true advice than Greg. No matter what kind of relationship or n ...more
Ash
Jun 11, 2015 Ash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Greg Behrendt since I read his book, "He's Just Not That Into You." The movie adaptation, in my opinion, sucked! However, what made the book so good is that Behrendt gives such clear, concise and easy advice that I was left with the "Oh, duh!" feeling from reading it.

"It's Just a F***king Date" is the same way. Clear advice with a humorous slant. This is a how to date the right way with respect for yourself and then respect for your future partner.

I agreed with a lot of it. The dater has
Micky Stew
When I picked up this book I just knew immediately I was going to love it. Having read all of Greg's books, I was overjoyed to see him and his wife were publishing again. As I read the first few pages I found myself cracking up because after all, Greg is a comic and his wife is just as funny as he is. They make a fabulous writing team.

Even though this book is not necessarily saying anything we don't already know, most of us single folks are acting as if we really don't know what he's talking abo
Sally Siawidjaja
Jun 15, 2009 Sally Siawidjaja rated it liked it
Recommends it for: all the 'jablayers' everywhere
Recommended to Sally by: no one
Shelves: non-fiksi
I like reading Greg Behrendt since I read He's just not that into you. However, I think this book is too talkative. Too much theory and advise. I prefer more question and answer type of book rather than the normal how to book. Having said that, I still enjoy this book, very funny.
Wyleen
Jul 11, 2015 Wyleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked He's Just Not That Into You and It's Called a Breakup Because It's Broken (both of which I read in my 20s, surrounded by friends I wanted to say all of those things to), so I thought this might be kind of a fun read. Maybe it's my age or the fact that I don't throw myself at men, but I found this to be simple tips for desperate women who are trying to lock down a man. (Granted, I did think of someone I should loan this to.) Basic, common sense, and not even really very entertaining...jus ...more
Claudia
Mar 25, 2009 Claudia rated it really liked it
Funny, informative, a great help for those challenged in the dating field, an amusing read for whoever doesn't have any problems getting a date whatsoever.
Anino
As always, Greg Behrendt's words of advice are "laugh out loud hilarious" and chock full of hard-won wisdom.

Giving this one: 4 stars
Vivian
Jun 16, 2015 Vivian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
-- NO SPOIL --

Having already read "It's called a breakup because it's broken" and "He's just not that into you" before, I knew I was in for a treat again.
Funny at times, small stories about dating disasters, and to-do lists, make it all a very easy read! However, it doesn't mean it's not "serious", it will make you think and inspire you to work on certain aspects.
I really like his/her point of view, something a very good friend or family member would tell you. Down to earth, the advice given ref
Lydia
Jan 12, 2011 Lydia is currently reading it
funny and insightful, nothing different than so many people have told me in the past but they really lay it out for you...
Katie Jensen
Nov 29, 2015 Katie Jensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it's a nice reality check to our generation. It describes multiple scenerios in which the narrator believes we are "dating wrong." Which I concur, in a generation of "Netflix and Chill," our dating sense is gone. I think to some degree, things work differently per each couple of people. But it's a nice wake-up call to all of those who keep repeating the same routines and getting the same results. The book is a bit wordy and extensive and eventually I skimmed through some of it. However, ...more
Nichole Renner
Feb 18, 2013 Nichole Renner rated it liked it
Really witty and funny.
Michelle
Audiobook. At first it made me laugh: we live in a world that no longer dates. We hang out and/or hookup. And their observations about singles and our hang ups are pretty funny, spot on. But then they give their dating strategies, and it's basically The Rules. The man does the asking. The woman tricks him into wanting to ask. The woman waits for him to ask for the 2nd date. Do not have sex before 10th date. Etc. These are not things I want to hear, but I suppose I am a 40-something singleton for ...more
Tripleguess
Jul 13, 2014 Tripleguess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
"In fact, you will suit up, show up, and be sparkly and exotic because that’s what you should do all the time in every aspect of life."

This sentence summarizes my feelings about the book. It a) sounds admirable and b) is unrealistic.

I'm glad to see someone advocating standards that set dating apart from unpaid prostitution, even if they are as weak as "Wait ten dates before doing IT." And it's absolutely important to be the best you you can be, etc. But I get the feeling that the target audienc
Lisa Niver
Nov 26, 2013 Lisa Niver rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dating
This book inspired my article: Carpe Datem! Seize the Date!

I almost never met George, my travel partner and now husband. When he first emailed me, I liked his photo and his profile. But I had been on dozens of first dates with not one second date and needed a rest from online dating and unfulfilled high expectations. I sat in my chair, stared at the computer and did not write back. I wanted to but at that moment, the opportunity sailed away.

If I could have read Behrendt and Ruotola's book, It's
Elina Belova
What a light book to read remembering dating times! I saw few negative comments about the book and I would like to respond to them that "It's just a f* book". Keep the life easier and live like you want to. I had Journey's "Any way you want it. That's the way you need it." in the background of my head during the reading. It was fun to look back how it all started ages ago and consider what choices I would make, if I have to date again.
Ask Greg and Amii...: * Ask Greg and Amiira! 50 167 Oct 10, 2013 02:39PM
  • The Choice Effect: Love and Commitment in an Age of Too Many Options
  • Total Flirt: Tips, Tricks, and Techniques Every Girl Needs to Get the Guy
  • Don't Call That Man!: A Survival Guide to Letting Go
  • The Dysfunctional Relationship Manual: A Checklist and Workbook
  • The Manual: A True Bad Boy Explains How Men Think, Date, and Mate- And What Women Can Do to Come Out on Top
  • A Taste of Heaven: Worship in the Light of Eternity
  • Forgive Me Father for I Have Loved
  • Committed To You (Coventon Campus #2)
  • Maybe He's Just an Asshole: Sharpen Your Bullshit Detector, Rock Your Expectations, and Become Your Strongest Self!
  • The Question
  • I Quit
  • No Weapon Formed (Boaz Brown, #2)
  • Always Hit On The Wingman...and 9 Other Secret Rules for Getting the Love Life You Want
  • Have Him at Hello: Confessions from 1,000 Guys About What Makes Them Fall in Love . . . Or Never Call Back
  • Become Your Own Matchmaker: 8 Easy Steps for Attracting Your Perfect Mate
  • Single: The Art of Being Satisfied, Fulfilled and Independent
  • Becoming a Woman of Freedom
  • Going Solo in the Kitchen
Gregory Behrendt is an American stand-up comedian and author. His work as a script consultant to the HBO sitcom Sex and the City, starring Sarah Jessica Parker, paved the way for co-authoring of the New York Times bestseller He's Just Not That into You (2004), later adapted into a film by the same name. Apart from that he also hosted two short-lived talk shows, The Greg Behrendt Show (2006) and Gr ...more
More about Greg Behrendt...

“You can’t fix people or make them change; the only thing you can do is pack your shit and leave if it isn’t working for you.” 23 likes
“People don’t respond to what you tell them; they respond to what you show them.” 9 likes