The Mystery of God's Will

The Mystery of God's Will

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"I don't think I've ever met anyone who hasn't struggled with the desire to know God's will. The problem is, this struggle often involved a great deal of confusion and worry." ―Chuck Swindoll

Many people have the idea that if they could just somehow find that single planned direction, they would be effortlessly swept through life. But life is not like that. Probably the mos...more
Published October 2nd 2001 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 1999)

Arnold
Oct 29, 2007 Arnold rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Maybe
This review may spoil you a bit, so be warned, if you're not interested in the outcome of this book, don't read this review. This book is about God's Will as Chuck Swindoll knows. Basically to sum it all up, God's Will is mysterious, and you won't know until your life is done and you look back. So don't even try to figure it out. He makes some good points, but at the end of the book, you're more confused about God's will than you were before you started reading this book.
Tinashe Kapeta
Jan 30, 2014 Tinashe Kapeta marked it as to-read
charles r swindoll
Michael
I love to listen to Swindoll preach - the commanding, but easy quality of his voice, his sound and practical teaching - but I was disappointed by this book. Granted, some is lost simply because I don't have the benefit of hearing Chuck deliver this message. Regardless, its content was the main source of frustration. I read most of it with clinched jaw. I either disagreed with his conclusions or found his handling of the topic to be less than adequate.
Angela
Apr 18, 2007 Angela marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Small Groups
Shelves: christian
We're reading this book together as a small group, it also has a study guide that accompanies it. I think it's a good book for anyone who seeks to understand God in relation to their purpose in life, what it means to seek God's will, and what that actually looks like.

God's will has four qualities:
1. It is absolute
2. It is immutable/unchangeable
3. It is unconditional
4. It is always in harmony with His plan & His nature.
Jeff
Overall it was a good book, but I think the idea of God surprising us was cheeky and inappropriate. It almost belittles the problems that people have. I also think that it doesn't take into account that God does not "cause" all things because we have free will and also live in a fallen world where sin happens.
It does make you take some serious thought about why things happen the way they do.
Cone
I praise God for using people like Charles Swindoll mightily to speak to His people.I learned a lot from this book. It made me realize a lot of things that I didn't really grasp before. The mystery of God's will is a must-read book for every believer who is earnestly seeking the Lord's will for them.
Deke
Jul 20, 2012 Deke marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Loved it..very practical...answered many questions about life's probing questions. Answer...sometimes I just have to accept what's going on. God has a reason and I may never know the why.
Leslie Jebaraj
I found the book very helpful on the almost controversial subject of God's will. Chuck Swindoll very well balances the Traditional view and the Wisdom View of finding God's will.
Sara Fajardo
hard to digest reading... the most challenging & life-changing book I have ever read
Christine
Aug 30, 2008 Christine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christians
Very thought-provoking and convicting.
Read1000books
A great book; very thought provoking.
Denise
Graham
Graham added it
Jul 30, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Kari Wheeler
Kari Wheeler marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Adejoel
Adejoel marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Derrick Mestler
Derrick Mestler is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2014
Jocelyn Cuevas
Jocelyn Cuevas is currently reading it
May 06, 2014
Reign
Reign is currently reading it
May 03, 2014
Ron
Ron added it
Apr 17, 2014
Phubc
Phubc added it
Mar 26, 2014
Edward Ramsbottom
Edward Ramsbottom marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Charles Swindoll has devoted over four decades to two passions: an unwavering commitment to the practical communication and application of God's Word, and an untiring devotion to seeing lives transformed by God's grace. Chuck graduated magna cum laude from Dallas Theological Seminary and has since been honored with four doctorates. For his teaching on Insight for Living, he has received the Progra...more
More about Charles R. Swindoll...
The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living It Is Another. David: A Man of Passion and Destiny (Great Lives from God's Word, #1) Esther: A Woman of Strength & Dignity (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 2) Improving Your Serve: The Art of Unselfish Living Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6)