Start by marking “The Mystery of God's Will” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of God's Will

The Mystery of God's Will

"I don't think I've ever met anyone who hasn't struggled with the desire to know God's will. The problem is, this struggle often involved a great deal of confusion and worry." ?Chuck Swindoll

Many people have the idea that if they could just somehow find that single planned direction, they would be effortlessly swept through life. But life is not like that. Probably the mos
Published September 30th 2001 by Thomas Nelson (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of God's Will, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of God's Will

Jason
Dec 16, 2015 Jason rated it liked it
Honestly, I'm a little disappointed with this book. Chuck Swindoll is a great preacher and author (I love his other books), but this book didn't give any new insight. I didn't expect Chuck to have the answer for the mystery of God's will. That would be impossible! But I felt as if something was missing from it. Also, there were a surprising number of grammatical and spelling errors. Way more than I expected from a Chuck Swindoll book.
Consuelo Lopez
Feb 04, 2015 Consuelo Lopez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Mystery of God's Will is an excellent book written by a seasoned,experienced, mature minister/teacher and author. I would recommend this read to anyone wanting to explore this topic; Swindoll shares sound biblical advice not only on what God's will is and isn't but also on the character and nature of God Himself. The read was interesting, thought-provoking, and focused -- I couldn't put it down!
Michael
Nov 12, 2009 Michael rated it did not like it
I love to listen to Swindoll preach - the commanding, but easy quality of his voice, his sound and practical teaching - but I was disappointed by this book. Granted, some is lost simply because I don't have the benefit of hearing Chuck deliver this message. Regardless, its content was the main source of frustration. I read most of it with clinched jaw. I either disagreed with his conclusions or found his handling of the topic to be less than adequate.
Angela
Apr 18, 2007 Angela marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Small Groups
Shelves: christian
We're reading this book together as a small group, it also has a study guide that accompanies it. I think it's a good book for anyone who seeks to understand God in relation to their purpose in life, what it means to seek God's will, and what that actually looks like.

God's will has four qualities:
1. It is absolute
2. It is immutable/unchangeable
3. It is unconditional
4. It is always in harmony with His plan & His nature.
Arnold
Oct 29, 2007 Arnold rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Maybe
This review may spoil you a bit, so be warned, if you're not interested in the outcome of this book, don't read this review. This book is about God's Will as Chuck Swindoll knows. Basically to sum it all up, God's Will is mysterious, and you won't know until your life is done and you look back. So don't even try to figure it out. He makes some good points, but at the end of the book, you're more confused about God's will than you were before you started reading this book.
Jeff
Jan 13, 2012 Jeff rated it really liked it
Overall it was a good book, but I think the idea of God surprising us was cheeky and inappropriate. It almost belittles the problems that people have. I also think that it doesn't take into account that God does not "cause" all things because we have free will and also live in a fallen world where sin happens.
It does make you take some serious thought about why things happen the way they do.
Cone
Aug 07, 2012 Cone rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-books
I praise God for using people like Charles Swindoll mightily to speak to His people.I learned a lot from this book. It made me realize a lot of things that I didn't really grasp before. The mystery of God's will is a must-read book for every believer who is earnestly seeking the Lord's will for them.
Deke
Jul 14, 2012 Deke marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Loved it..very practical...answered many questions about life's probing questions. Answer...sometimes I just have to accept what's going on. God has a reason and I may never know the why.
Leslie Jebaraj
Aug 18, 2010 Leslie Jebaraj rated it it was amazing
I found the book very helpful on the almost controversial subject of God's will. Chuck Swindoll very well balances the Traditional view and the Wisdom View of finding God's will.
Ed
Ed rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2014
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2007
Travis
Travis rated it liked it
May 25, 2012
Matt Mason
Matt Mason rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2012
David Pierce
David Pierce rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2012
Tony
Tony rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2015
Beckynovacek
Mar 12, 2016 Beckynovacek rated it really liked it
As relevant now as it was 20 years ago.
Blake
Blake rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2012
Theroad2226
Theroad2226 rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2011
Neil Steinwand
Neil Steinwand rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2015
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2012
Maggie Aquaro
Maggie Aquaro rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2008
maryanna
maryanna rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2007
Regina Croto
Regina Croto rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2013
Tom
Tom rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2010
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
May 03, 2013
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2009
Megan Ochoa
Megan Ochoa rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2011
Luke Scott
Luke Scott rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2014
  • Your God is Too Safe
  • C.S. Lewis on Faith
  • The Jesus Creed: Loving God, Loving Others
  • The Signature of God: Astonishing Biblical Discoveries
Charles Swindoll has devoted over four decades to two passions: an unwavering commitment to the practical communication and application of God's Word, and an untiring devotion to seeing lives transformed by God's grace. Chuck graduated magna cum laude from Dallas Theological Seminary and has since been honored with four doctorates. For his teaching on Insight for Living, he has received the Progra ...more
More about Charles R. Swindoll...