Start by marking “Fillets of Plaice” as Want to Read:
Fillets of Plaice

Fillets of Plaice

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  762 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Durrell's hilarious and warm My Family and Other Animals (1957) began a trio of reminiscences of his life growing up with a slightly dotty familythe overbearing and omniscient Larry; the affectionate and loving siblings, Margot and Leslie; and, of course, the overburdened and patient Motheron the island of Corfu in the 1930s, when a pound could buy a villa and life was con ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Nonpareil Books (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Fillets of Plaice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fillets of Plaice

Durdles
Superb. A gem of a book. I read this at least four times in the 70's. Bits and bobs from his life that he couldn't find a place for in other books are collected together and make for some glorious and hilarious episodes. I particularly liked his investigations into the lives of people living just off Kensington High Street who survived rent free as long as their "businesses" made no profit; his attempts to buy items from their shops are met with great resistance. Other anecdotes about attempting ...more
Rebekah Rochester
A fantastic collection of short stories (memoirs really, because they are true) following Gerald Durrell through his eventful life as the animal-mad youngest child in a very eccentric British family abroad. The humour is great - very dry and British, just my type of thing. There's a vast array of well-written 'characters', and any number of incredible events to enjoy.

The Birthday Party
Gerry's about 12 or so as the family and a rather varied bunch of friends take a very eventful trip in a boat ro
Jacqueline Wagenstein
Апетитно блюдо хумор и приключения, забъркано по рецепта на британския писател, естествоизпитател и природозащитник Джералд Даръл!„Филе от камбала“ е безценна колекция разкази, които ще ви понесат първо към Корфу, където целокупното Дарълово семейство спретва на майка си незабравим рожден ден, после към Камерун, където канените за вечеря гости ще бъдат, меко казано, изненадани от доста неканени. А в кроткия морски курорт Борнмът на английското крайбрежие ще се срещнете с очарователната Урсула, ц ...more
Veselina Stefanova
Джери Даръл - този остроумен магьосник на словото, готов винаги да те разсмее, да ти осигури приятна почивка сред страниците, ми е любимец още откакто бях дете. С него няма как да скучаеш, а още по-малко да се отегчиш. Лек, свеж и интересен, този писател-пътешественик никога няма да ми омръзне. Препоръчвам с две ръце.
Peregrino
Otro magnífico libro de Durrell. en esta ocasión se trata de seis relatos deslabazados (de ahí el título), que Durrell nos quiere ofrecer con su ingenioso humor british total.

Los dos primeros nos remontan a su infancia en la isla de Corfú, y podían haber sido perfectamente añadidos a su "Mi familia y otros animales", ya comentado. Deliciosos relatos de la singular familia y sus peripecias en Corfú, vistas a través de los inocentes ojos del autor. El tercero nos traslada al Londres de su adolesce
Natasha
Sep 21, 2007 Natasha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone!
Fillets of Plaice ~ a collection of short stories written by that wonderful author; Gerald Durrell...
* The Birth of a Title...
Short story about HOW they came up with the title for the book: luscious visions of a laid back time during a stay on the Island of Corfu..

* The Birthday Party ... `Tis Mother's birthday; and a party MUST be given... Larry is told SPECIFICALLY ...NOT to take the "icebox" from the kitchen... which he totally ignores
The hilarious and rollicking adventure unfolds and proceed
Marilyn
Durrell does it again, another delightful book that is wonderfully entertaining. The book is written in five chapters, each one telling of a different hilarious, crazy experience that he hadn't previously related through his other books. It will keep you smiling and chuckling.
Tarun Prabhu
I can still go back and re-read some of these stories. Modern sensibilities will almost certainly be offended by the descriptions and treatment of Africans, which, unfortunately, was normal for the time, but if you look past that, this book is as colourful as anything Durrell writes
Molly
I'm afraid Gerry started out charmingly enough, a boyhood tale of catching escaped salamanders on a bus, mistaking a well-meaning colonel for a pedo and subsequently playing soldiers with him in his attic, and redecorating the tanks of bleach-eyed frogs with calloused feet...but then he ends up middle-aged in colonial Africa. This is where he goes wrong and where, following the tale, he just can't go right. He takes a foray into racism, calling others the hideous word without thinking for a minu ...more
Zuzka K.
Není to nic světoborného, ale jako odpočinková literatura, která zároveň není hloupá je to ideální četba. Obsahuje podivné historky, ještě podivnější postavy a anglický humor. Prostě Durrell :-)
Wayne
Feb 19, 2009 Wayne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of wonderfully eccentric lives, childhood reminiscences, Greek islands and hilarity.
Recommended to Wayne by: Gerald Durrell's other writings
I first read this while on a 1974/75 holiday in a remote village on one of the many islands that make up the Solomon Islands. I left it behind because we were travelling light.
Then I spent many years trying to find another copy to relive again Durrell's wonderfully hilarious biographical tales of a childhood on Corfu, and in 1930's London and as an adult in Africa.
Found a copy FINALLY in Feb 2007!!!
Read it immediately.
Do the same, is all I can say.

His "My Family and Other Animals" is entirely se
Kerry
Wonderful assortment of stories from a broad section of his life. Really it is worth it for the shops that refuse to sell anything and for Ursula alone.
Ian Smith
Five short stories plus an introduction make up this delightful compendium of tales from Gerald Durrell's childhood, adolescence and early adulthood. Boats and beaches of Corfu, pet shops and hospitals of London, colonial houses of Cameroon; all provide backdrops for his characteristically humorous anecdotes, richly flamboyant language and outrageous caricatures of his family and friends. I first read this as a child, and it loses none of its joy in a re-read (though does require a large pinch o ...more
Dana
I bought this book for a quarter at Uncle Joe's Flea Market in Indiana. It has an especially classic style, quintessential for a flea market buying scene. Unfortunately this was my sum total story regarding this book. I liked the stories, they were pleasant and agreeable and quirky, yet I never quite felt at home with the characters or fulfilled by the end. I would never say this was a bad book, and would even go so far as to give my copy to a friend with out any guilt or fear I was causing them ...more
Hristo Ivanov
Чудесно и забавно четиво!
Sera
Delightful as always - chuckled out loud, & wished I'd been a fly on the wall of his life!
Bonnie Salter
Lovely stories, very well written.
Rachael
Someone I would really like to have dinner with, I bring you: hilarious stories from the animal-loving brother of Lawrence Durrell (of more cosmopolitan fame--good friends with Henry Miller). I don't think any of the stories are based in the US, and all involve refreshingly genuine characters going about their ridiculous lives.
Eleanor Gunn
I love reading Gerald Durrell and this collection of short stories was no exception. He is an astute observer of human and animal nature and writes beautifully. I particularly enjoyed his time at the pet store. His writing is certainly dated but still very enjoyable. I just wish this collection included more animal stories.
Dan
Fillets of Plaice. More Gerald Durrell, but this time it concentrates on his family and friends more than on his animals. It is in the tradition of Evelyn Waugh's aristocratic snobbish young English people, but with slightly more likable characters. It was well-written, but I prefer his animal stories.
Js
Gerald Durrell doesn't need to stand on the shoulders of his older brother. It is quite possible Larry would be laughing to hard to allow for it anyway.
Gerald Durrell offers brilliant insight into the cast of characters that make up his family and friends with a tender touch and a scathing wit.

Sam Kirshaw
Hilariously funny stories from an accomplished mid-twentieth century raconteur with one or two forgivable colonial prejudices! His mother's birthday party is a jewel of a tale with a cutting description of his idiosyncratic family.
Janellyn51
I really enjoyed this. I didn't know much about Gerald Durrell when I started, now I'd like to know more. It's a very humorous book, the stories are very entertaining, with that dry British wit. I got a kick out of his mother...
Nicole
Just finished it. Great escape in Corfu, London and Africa; a perfect antidote against a long "oversnowed" winter. Gerald Durrell is an unassuming, delightful companion: light and humorous.
Robin
I thought this book was well written. Gerald Durrell is a great author. I saw a film adaptation of one of his books. The one story in here of his nose bleed is well worth reading.
Exina
It is my favorite book by Gerald Durrell. I absolutely love it!
I read it a million times, love all of the stories, always laugh out loud at Durrell’s brilliant humor.
Jim Corson
Gerald Durrell, a naturalist and the younger brother of Lawrence Durrell has written a very funny book of his more youthful escapades. Great Fun, worth a read!
Sue
Stories about Gerald, his family and friends with the usual humorous and unlikely scenarios. Brilliant observations and conversation, very enjoyable.
Lora
A good read but not one of my favorites. Since Gerald Durrell passed away several years ago, we have to read those books that he had time to write.
  • Gerald Durrell: The Authorized Biography
  • It's All Greek to Me!: A Tale of a Mad Dog and an Englishman, Ruins, Retsina--and Real Greeks
  • A House With Four Rooms
  • Two Under the Indian Sun
  • Let Sleeping Vets Lie
  • Me, Myself & Prague: An Unreliable Guide to Bohemia
  • Spymaster: My Thirty-two Years in Intelligence and Espionage Against the West
  • Zaatar Days, Henna Nights: Adventures, Dreams, and Destinations Across the Middle East
  • Zoo Vet: Adventures Of A Wild Animal Doctor
  • In Darwin's Shadow: The Life and Science of Alfred Russel Wallace
  • For Tibet, with Love: A Beginner's Guide to Changing the World
  • The Way of the White Clouds
  • That Quail, Robert
  • A Plague of Caterpillars (The Innocent Anthropologist #2)
  • Enslaved by Ducks
  • The Plague and I (Betty MacDonald Memoirs, #2)
  • Coffee, Tea or Me?
  • A Vicarage Family
Gerald Durrell was born in India in 1925. His family settled on Corfu when Durrell was a boy and he spent his time studying its wildlife. He relates these experiences in the trilogy beginning with My Family and Other Animals, and continuing with Birds, Beasts and Relatives and The Garden of the Gods. In his books he writes with wry humour and great perception about both the humans and the animals ...more
More about Gerald Durrell...
My Family and Other Animals (Corfu Trilogy, #1) Birds, Beasts, and Relatives (Corfu Trilogy, #2) A Zoo in My Luggage The Corfu Trilogy The Garden of the Gods (Corfu Trilogy, #3)