Start by marking “Darkness Wakes” as Want to Read:
Darkness Wakes

Darkness Wakes

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In the small town of Ptolemy, darkness is a living thing. Its home is in the shadows of a bizarre club named Penumbra, where it is worshipped by followers who need the pleasure it gives them. They live for it. And they kill for it.

When Aaron was first introduced to Penumbra, he thought it was just a secret club where members could indulge their kinkier fantasies. As he le

Mass Market Paperback, 321 pages
Published November 28th 2006 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about Darkness Wakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness Wakes

Dawnelle Wilkie
If there were a way to give negative stars, I would do it.

This was the most poorly constructed piece of garbage-fiction I've read in ages. My favorite (dreadful) lines:

"The owner of the eyes watched him." (pg. # eludes me, it was early in the book)

"The pain song of the nipple mouths continued, high and mournful." (295)

And yes, "nipple mouths." It's exactly what you think it is. There are absolutely no redemptive qualities of this book, nothing to point out as a bleak positive. The language, imag
William M.
While I didn't enjoy this as much as LIKE DEATH or PANDORA DRIVE, the concept in DARKNESS WAKES might just be Waggoner's best idea to date. This is a very addictive novel and has some great moments of suspense and gore. However, it was hard to like the main character, Aaron, due to the way he treated his wife and the decisions he made throughout the book. That being said, my only other problem -- and this is not Mr. Waggoner's fault -- is the poor copyediting done by Leisure Books. I discovered ...more
Kasia S.
Tim Waggoner is a talented writer; I have no doubts about that after reading Darkness Waits. His writing is smooth and engrossing, the scenery is well depicted and the action rolls in non stop motion down a jagged hill of unexpected revelations. The story gains velocity from the very first page when the reader is introduced to a small Ohio town of Ptolemy and a few of their quirkiest inhabitants. Waggoner is all out with risqué and explicit erotic encounters between the members of Penumbra, a ki ...more
Haley
It kept me interested from the beginning. There were several typos though. It was a more dirty,gory book than I had read before. I have watched several horror movies, but this was a new experience. I liked it a lot. It had an exciting and fresh premise.
Sassyoh
I couldn't get through it. One of only 2 books in my life that I haven't finished. Maybe I'll return to it one day but for now, I want to spend my reading time on something I want to read.
Matt Parsons
A very good modern horror story about a married man lured into a dark monsterous cult by an attractive neighbor. One of the better horror stories I've read in a while.
William Drown
Flew through this book. Read like a great Richard Laymon novel. Fun and gross read.
Bandit
My first book by Waggoner. Made me an instant fan.
Michael
One of the finest horror books I have read in years.
H3yd00
Jan 14, 2008 H3yd00 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2006
Very good read.
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Martha
Martha added it
Sep 14, 2014
Lucie
Lucie marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
C.V. Hunt
C.V. Hunt marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Dalene
Dalene marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Tim Waggoner has published over thirty novels and three short story collections, and his articles on writing have appeared in Writer’s Digest and Writers’ Journal, among others. He teaches creative writing at Sinclair Community College and in Seton Hill University’s Master of Fine Arts in Writing Popular Fiction program. Visit him on the web at www.timwaggoner.com.
More about Tim Waggoner...
Necropolis (Matt Richter #1) Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2) Carved in Flesh (Supernatural, #12) Thieves of Blood (Eberron: The Blade of the Flame, #1) Dark War (Matt Richter #3)