The Inheritors

The Inheritors

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In 1969, Harold Robbins began his "trilogy of greed" with The Inheritors, a tell-all novel about the entertainment industry. Spanning the years 1955 to 1965, and based on the lives of actual network executives and movie moguls, the novel exposes the sex, power, and politics of mass media.

Steve Gaunt is working hard to build his television empire. He's a visionary and a bi

Published October 1st 1993 by Pocket Books (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Inheritors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inheritors

Philip
It's really not necessary to read anything Harold Robbins wrote after WHERE LOVE HAS GONE (1962), and that includes the over-inflated sex saga THE ADVENTURERS, published in 1966. By 1969, when THE INHERITORS was published, Harold Robbins had become the world's bestselling novelist. Unfortunately, this milestone was achieved at almost exactly the point when he began writing almost exclusively for money to fund his lavishly hedonistic jet-set lifestyle, with the result that his novels began a down...more
Raisa
It has been a long time since I read The Inheritors. I cannot really point what is it about this book, but the story, the environment, the charm still sits somewhere at the back of my mind. It might not be a classic, by the sheer definition of it, it is, however, a book worth reading to get a glimpse into the American film industry. True, a lot has been said since then. But this is totally unabashed and uninhibited - Harold Robbins Style!
Kurt Reichenbaugh
For Harold Robbins this was a surprisingly disciplined novel. It had the requisite sex, with only one scene I would call kinky. Most of it detailed the relationship between Sam and Steve, two mavericks in the television and movie industry between the years 1955 and 1965.

On a side note I would recommend a fascinating bio of Harold Robbins; Harold Robbins  The Man Who Invented Sex by Andrew Wilson.
Mike
Third book in the trilogy that includes The Dream Merchants and The Carpetbaggers giving a take on the motion picture industry in America amd the development of TV.
Characters larger than life and even for the film world this is probably a touch over the top, but then Robbins could always sell books. Subtlety is not his strong point but I'll forgive him a great deal for producing 'A Stone for Danny Fisher' which is a great deal more mature than this.
Cindy
One of my all time favorites. I've retread this many times. It's not Shakespeare, just fast fun reading. Great story.
Juniar
The struggles of the pioneers in the motion picture industry.
Nadia
Read in Italian, very easy to read.
A.joseph
My favourite author !
Pamela Gricken
Pamela Gricken marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Sandi
Sandi added it
Aug 28, 2014
Farseer
Farseer marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Toshada
Toshada marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Penny
Penny added it
Aug 08, 2014
Susan Garrett
Susan Garrett marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Lindy
Lindy added it
Jul 12, 2014
32005
Born as Harold Rubin in New York City, he later claimed to be a Jewish orphan who had been raised in a Catholic boys home. In reality he was the son of well-educated Russian and Polish immigrants. He was reared by his pharmacist father and stepmother in Brooklyn.

His first book, Never Love a Stranger (1948), caused controversy with its graphic sexuality. Publisher Pat Knopf reportedly bought Never...more
More about Harold Robbins...
The Carpetbaggers A Stone for Danny Fisher The Betsy 79 Park Avenue Never Love a Stranger