Monadology and Other Philosophical Essays

Monadology and Other Philosophical Essays

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Monadologie is one of Gottfried Leibniz’ works that best define his philosophy, monadism. Written toward the end of his life in order to support a metaphysics of simple substances, it's thus about formal atoms which aren't physical but metaphysical.
The Monadology is written in 90 logical paragraphs, each generally following from the previous. Its name is due to the fact t...more
Published June 1st 1965 by Prentice Hall College Division (first published 1714)

The Republic by PlatoThus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich NietzscheCritique of Pure Reason by Immanuel KantMeditations by Marcus AureliusBeing and Time by Martin Heidegger
Best Philosophy Book
160th out of 547 books — 623 voters
1984 by George OrwellThe Outsider by Albert CamusCollected Fictions by Jorge Luis BorgesBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyNotes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Literature of ideas
55th out of 64 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Martin
Is it the most logically sound philosophy? No. But is Leibniz and his Monad-theory the most hilarious bit of rationalism? Abso-friggin-lutely.

You're monads! I'm monads! We're all monads! Monads are monads!
lindsie
I'm a little raindrop? Cute.
Erik Graff
Nov 03, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: philosophers
Recommended to Erik by: Paul Schreck
Shelves: philosophy
I read the Monodology twice. First, in college, quickly from a collection of essays and with little discussion. Second, in graduate school, with more attention. I didn't get more than a glimmer of its meaning and I doubt the teacher understood it much better than we did, but I thought it was a brilliant alternative to prevailing metaphysical assumptions. Imagine a world predicated on such assumptions! (Perhaps Borges did.)

Ideally, after some serious grounding in the logico-mathematical underpinn...more
Tom Smith
I want to like Leibniz, I really do. I like his project of pulling Western metaphysics out of the "substantial forms" mess. But I can't help feeling that his ontology is just so much garbage.
Madalin Boboc
Proof that being a rationalist philosopher is not the same whit being a rational philosopher.
He displays great imagination,this I can't deny.
eesenor
Leibniz presents his theory that this is 'the best of all possible worlds'.
Itai Farhi
Itai Farhi marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Green Day
Green Day marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Paulo Muller
Paulo Muller marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Siham
Siham added it
Jun 26, 2014
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Jonathan Sterkenburg
Jonathan Sterkenburg marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Diego Ospina
Diego Ospina marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Esteven Barr
Esteven Barr marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Spectraz
Spectraz marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Matthew James
Matthew James marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Jacy
Jacy marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Gregory Verrilli
Gregory Verrilli marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Crawford
Crawford marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Mathew Beauchemin
Mathew Beauchemin marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Stacia
Stacia marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Dilius
Dilius added it
May 25, 2014
Selukat
Selukat marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Mahmoud
Mahmoud marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz (sometimes von Leibniz) (July 1, 1646 - November 14, 1716) was a German mathematician and philosopher. He wrote primarily in Latin and French.

Leibniz occupies a prominent place in the history of mathematics and the history of philosophy. Leibniz developed the infinitesimal calculus independently of Isaac Newton, and Leibniz's mathematical notation has been widely used eve...more
More about Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz...
Philosophical Essays Discourse on Metaphysics & Other Essays Monadology Discourse on Metaphysics/The Monadology (Philosophical Classics) New Essays on Human Understanding (Texts in the History of Philosophy)