An Unexpected Apprentice (Tildi Summerbee, #1)

An Unexpected Apprentice (Tildi Summerbee #1)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Halfling Tildi Summerbee has led a typical, unexcitinglife, tending the house for her brothers while they manage the family farm. Her days are boring, but happy...until a Thraik attack decimates her family.

In an effort to provide for Tildi, the town's leadersprepare an arrangedmarriage andtake control of her farm's assets. After all, afemale halfling is incapable of handli...more
Published June 12th 2007 by Tor Books (first published 2007)

Doris
I picked this book up because I am familiar with the author and enjoy her work. It sounded a little like it was based on Lord of the Rings, and reading bore that out. Unfortunately (and I will irritate a few people with this statement) it was, like LOTR, predictable and overdone.

There was a lot of build up in the beginning of the thraik attacks, so much that I started speed reading to get to the end of that section. Then our protagonist, orphaned and without family, is judged by the elders, all...more
Amanda
Lots of promise, but at the end I realized that (dammit) this was the first in a series.

Also, it sounds like it's going to be a fantasy for (ahem) mature people and it's written like it's for 12 year olds. I read a lot of books aimed at that demographic, but this one was kind of cloying. I really wanted to like this because the first couple of chapters were very good. But once she gets to the Silvertree I lost interest. I finished it, but only because I am stubborn.
Lise
“Her friends shot her sympathetic glances, but none of them dared leave their husbands’ or fathers’ sides to be with her.

Smallfolk tradition prevented the girls from going off without permission, even such a small distance. It was only common sense, Tildi had been lectured all the time while growing up. Girls weren’t as strong or as fast as boys. Plenty of dangerous creatures lurked about the Quarters waiting from such a tender young morsel to happen by unprotected – and not all of them were w...more
Mailis Viiand
Have you had a period in your life when you physically lack the time to read a book? Well you know you have found a good one, when even when overcoming the shortage by trying to read it one page at a time, you enjoy it and are still engrossed with the story...every page keeps giving you something new and you cant wait to get a chance and read just one more...
I usually try to avoid mentioning Tolkien in reviews because its borderline blasphemy to compare the master creator with anything, but i ca...more
Vicky

Jody Nye is a master of writing fantasy. From the whimsical to high fantasy, she never fails to deliver a good story.

In this, her latest, she gives us a tale reminiscent of The Lord of the Rings. In this case, the part of Frodo is played by a “small folk” girl named Tildi. Her entire family is killed by nasty flying menaces. She goes to the town meeting after the disaster where the male council pick a husband for her – because everyone knows females can’t take care of land or anything beyond was...more
Laura Ritchie
Jul 31, 2011 Laura Ritchie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: author's website
Shelves: fantasy
I decided to read this book since I will be meeting Ms. Nye at a writer's workshop later this year. I thought the premise of the novel was so interesting--that everything in this fantastic, LOTR type world bears a mystical rune that describes the object or creature in complete detail, and things, great or small, can be altered magically by changing its rune.

There was a lot of build-up to get to the meat of the story, as well as large spans of extremely detailed descriptions of people, things, an...more
Dragondreamsjen
Jody Lynn Nye is the type of writer that never lets a reader down. The prose in this book is beautifully handled and the way the multiple narratives are woven together are both poignant and masterfully handled. The obvious similarity between her "Smallfolk" and Tolkein's hobbits pales as the novel unfolds and they are revealed to be more than just small. The book had plenty of adventure but the ending was not as satisfying as it could have been. It felt a bit as if this was trying to start a ser...more
Jenny Conti
The storyline is a little familiar - a quest to save the world - but as usual, this author makes it feel fresh. Really well-crafted characters. I will definitely read the next one!
Margot
This book is, at best, mediocre--at worst, a big waste of time. You might laugh at this, but I had hoped (based on the back-cover description) for a high fantasy, Tolkeinesque, Harry Potter. Yes, I wanted to see the high fantasy(ish) creatures at school to become wizards. But Jody Lynn Nye obviously set out to write a feminist Fellowship of the Ring. The significant variations were that her hobbits are called "small folk," the ring is a book, and all the members of the fellowship are women. All...more
Cait
Hmm. So far -- about halfway in -- this seems quite trite and derivative, but it remains oddly charming (perhaps because I latched onto it when I'd been having such a bad day that nothing but sitting in an armchair in a bookstore could salvage it).

And now I'm to the end of it -- or, at least, the end of the book, which turned out to be the surprise first installment of a series -- and it's still trite, derivative, and charming. I might read the next one, if only because this story is hitting my...more
Karie
I read the first couple of chapters and the last two pages just to make sense of the tragedy in the beginning. It's just so...overwritten. The reader is beaten over the head with descriptions of society, place, time, feelings, and character motivations (in the first two chapters!) so much that the plot nearly gets lost. I got bored and I definitely couldn't connect with Tildi, just because the author was so insistent that I MUST like her.
Vorlady
I am loving this book!! Sure, its not super original (one scene near the beginning seems to be highly inspired by a scene from LOR), but it is fun and I *love* the main character.

I've indulged in more of this book!! We have a "fellowship" of seven, all but one are women which is a cool twist. Surprisingly we don't have all the races represented. Except for one halfling and one centaur the rest are all human....
Gina Mora
I loved this book. I found it clever and fun. There was a touch of whimsy, even in the bad guys. You never could hate the bad guy, because he was sort of like Gollum- a sad, tragic figure caught in the spell of a more powerful master. The only thing that I hated is that I didn't figure out it was a 2-parter until the LAST sentence of the book. How frustrating is that???
Anu
A feminist ripoff of Lord of the Rings. Except this time the fellowship is 6 women and 1 crippled man. Substitute "Book of Life" for the One Ring and you're all set. I swear, I think she even imagined the smallfolk based on the Hobbit costumes from Peter Jackson's movie.

However, an entertaining, quick read. Much better than Boreragon.
Teresa Carrigan
This is a fantasy, probably suitable for YA. Imagine "The Hobbit" with Bilbo as a young girl hobbit who wants to learn wizardry, but hobbit girls aren't allowed to do anything interesting. The ending felt rushed, and it's definitely "to be continued". Not sure I'll bother tracking down the sequel.
Lauren
I very much liked this book. It was very entertaining with the different interactions, although the racism was a bit sad (although not unexpected) and the halfling backwards culture that treats their women so poorly was infuriating. I'm very much looking forward to finding the sequel.
Dana
I only get an hour a day or so to read my books anymore... usually at lunch time and only if I put headphones in to keep people from talking to me. So that being said. Decent book, a fun little romp to enjoy in bite sized pieces. Kinda like "brain candy".
Kim
Not especially original, but an enjoyable enough read. I was frustrated that it doesn't say anywhere except the last page that it is the first in a series. I'm afraid I'm not interested enough to find the next book.
Tal
this is a really cute book (basically, as the blurb says, "what if Bilbo Baggins were female?").

the characters were accurately drawn and the humour is gentle but spot-on. recommended as a light 'fluffy' read
Nancy Greger
An interesting fantasy story. All the major characters are female, who can take care of themselves. Will read the second book.
Jenn
I liked it enough to want to continue the series as it comes out. Very fantasy not horror or sci fi. Fun read.
Diane
Much better than I was expecting. A rather typical fantasy book, but engaging.
Caroline
Cute, easy read. Not at all deep or insightful, but a fun afternoon distraction.
Kenneth Flusche
Good enough characters to make me want to read book two
Lindig
first in a series; sweet, charming, has a YA feel to it.
Neil Ottenstein
It is a fun book.
PWRL
Jan 23, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern Dragonharper: A Crossroads Adventure in the world of Anne McCaffrey's Pern The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6) Mythology 101 Don't Forget Your Spacesuit, Dear