The View From The Studio Door: How Artists Find Their Way In An Uncertain World

The View From The Studio Door: How Artists Find Their Way In An Uncertain World

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In the perennial best-seller Art & Fear, Ted Orland (with David Bayles) examined the obstacles that artists encounter each time they enter their studio and stand before a new blank canvas. Now, in The View From The Studio Door, Orland turns his attention to broader issues that stand to either side of that artistic moment of truth.

In a text marked by grace, brevity and...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Image Continuum Press

Forrest
Feb 14, 2008 Forrest rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: artists friends friends of artists
Recommended to Forrest by: Orland (author)
In 54 years, I have read a lot of books. Orland and Bayles wrote "Art and Fear", which to date, is at the top of the heap.

I had high hopes and expectations for this book, and it did not disappoint at all, it's just that there's only one first place, and "Art and Fear" gets it.

Art and Fear concerns itself with why art gets made and doesn't. As much as anything, the tendency to avoid uncomfortable things is the short answer... uncomfortable things like work, poverty, rejection, misunderstanding, i...more
Robert Bean
A good pick-me-up book for artists that are struggling to make their career happen. Has some great stories in it and presents its ideas in a simple, easy to understand manner.
Peter Clothier
I am a late-comer to Ted Orland's The View From the Studio Door:How Artists Find The Way in an Uncertain World. It was published in 2006, and I'm only just now getting around to it. More's the pity... or maybe it arrived at just the right moment, since I am writing and speaking around that same topic these days, and am finding not only much common ground between us, but also many new thoughts and insights that are truly valuable. It's one of those books in which I pause at every page with the wi...more
bea
May 03, 2008 bea added it
Shelves: out-the-door
This book felt like it had enough filling for a single sandwich, or maybe a piece of toast, but it was spread thinly enough to fill a whole loaf. This is visually obvious in the design--it's got a nice big margin for marginal notes, quotations, what-have-you, but this is mostly blank. (In "The Artist's Way," which I found overrated, this nice marginal area was actually well-stocked with some interesting observations). I tried to glean something inspirational from this book, but after a few attem...more
Laura Motush
Ted Orland wrote this book for artists. It asks questions that artists run into and is a realistic depiction of what it takes to become an artist. One question that is discussed is how to maintain making art after graduating with a fine art degree and still make a living. Orland emphasizes the importance of hard work and the continuation of practice. It sort of crushes the naive view that being an artist is all fun and no work. I know I would have benefited from reading this book before going on...more
Elizabeth
This is a fantastic follow up to Art and Fear. It will be on my list of books to periodically re-read.
Clare
As a practising artist this was hugely helpful to me and I would recommend it to anyone working as an artist even if you have been at it for years. I can't write a long review on this because it is so good!Just read the book. If you just had one book on creative practice this is it. I can't recommend it highly enough. Brilliant.
Kimberly Porter
Ted Orland is a veteran artist that gives the reader a lot to think about. He asks artists to ponder questions about their work...but his questions are practical and not philosophical. Good food for thought for those who are at the beginning of art careers and those who are re-emerging from their artistic cocoons.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
This is one of those books that open you up to a dozen different ideas questions answers confusions and directions. Honest and humorous. I forsee reading this one at least once a year when i need a good boot to the head compass reading. Highly recommended!
Destiny Allison
This was a thoughtful, kind and generous look at being an artist today. I particularly liked the way Ted Orland talked about the importance of artist communities and his emphasis on the importance of making art.
Megan
A professor gave this to me as a gift for helping with various workshops and because I will soon be graduating with my undergraduate degree. This is probably one of the most important and best books for me to have read.
Kim
Jul 07, 2008 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone thinking about art and its impact on our society, whether you are an artist or a patron.
I'm not an artist, but I'm married to one. I was pleasantly surprised by this book, as I found a lot of the author's insight was useful for me, not just illustrative of my husband's experience.
Cynthia
What I most appreciated was his thought process. Orland's way of investigating a problem is a great model for trying to sort through the creative process.
Barbara Bechtel
By one of the authors of Art and Fear, this is a book that deals with some of the different issues artists face in their journey
Jane boutwell
great book for artists. a cathertic book about finding your way in this world we live in.
Sandy
Interesting self-help book for the "new" artist.
Joe
Joe is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2014
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Sam Galloway
Sam Galloway marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Beto González
Beto González marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Gage Evans
Gage Evans marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Ellen Farrar
Ellen Farrar marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Tiara
Tiara marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Rebecca Breaux
Rebecca Breaux marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Katherine
Katherine is currently reading it
Nov 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Scenes of Wonder, Curiosity View From the Studio Door - How Artists find Their Way In An Uncertain World, The Man & Yosemite: A Photographer's View Of The Early Years Past Lives Revelation Countdown

“A degree in art doesn’t automatically make you an artist any more than lacking a degree precludes you from becoming an artist.” 0 likes
“Art school is a small island of acceptance in a vast sea of disinterest.” 0 likes