Start by marking “Art & Love: An Illustrated Anthology of Love Poetry” as Want to Read:
Art & Love: An Illustrated Anthology of Love Poetry

Art & Love: An Illustrated Anthology of Love Poetry

Scores of evocative love poems, drawn from the entire range of world literature, are matched with wonderfully vibrant works of art--paintings, sculpture, prints, collages, and stained glass to create an elegant anthology of love peoms and masterpieces from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. 140 color illustrations.
Published September 25th 1990 by Little, Brown & Company

To ask other readers questions about Art & Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art & Love

S.
Jun 09, 2014 S. rated it liked it
This is what you'd call a 'gift book,' there being no good reason for it to exist except as a marketing opportunity in a museum bookshop, in this case The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Indeed I got it as a gift, third-hand, from a family member liquidating a section of his library.
The book combines some works found in the Met museum with 'love poems' - I put the 'love' in quotes because there's a section on friendship, and one on familial love. It's not all cupids and hotness and late-night phone
Nikitha Hingad
Apr 20, 2015 Nikitha Hingad rated it it was amazing
I have the hard bound copy of the book. I think it is a very beautiful book. With beautiful illustrations in each and every page, poetry feels like a treat. The anthology consists of poems of finest poets from Plato to Maya Angelou, Shakespeare to Pablo. This book inspired me to publish my own collection . I hope someday I would be able to make art like this one. Must have for all poetry lovers. Kate Farrell has made a great effort to bring best of art and poetry together. And the themes are on ...more
Hud-c
Dec 27, 2012 Hud-c rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: art lovers, those who dig poetry
Recommended to Hud-c by: the bookstore 3 blocks away
Shelves: non-fiction, poetry
I love this book. Art and poetry combined is a perfect fusion.

Just a bit of my favorite lines in some of the poems:

How shall I work that she may not forget
the wretch to whom her beauty belongs?

SONNET by Owen Barfield

It just gives me this imagery of a man thinking about what he would do to win a woman's heart. Really romantic.

I love thee with the love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints! I love thee with the breath
Smiles, tears, of all my life! And if God choose,
I shall but love thee better
metaphor
Dec 31, 2014 metaphor rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, kate-farrell
Time was. Time is. Time shall be.
Man invented time to be used.
Love was. Love is. Love shall be.
Yet man never invented love
Nor is love to be used like time.
A clock wears numbers one to twelve
And you look and read its face
And tell the time precisely ex-act-ly.
Yet who reads the face of love?
Who tells love numbers precisely ex-act-ly?
Holding love in a tight hold for keeps,
Fastening love down and saying
"It’s here now and here for always."
You don’t do this offhand, careless-like.
Love costs. Love is no
Nicole
Oct 02, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: If you love poetry and art, you must read this.
Recommended to Nicole by: I dfound it at a second-hand sale.
This is one of my favorite poetry anthologies. I love the pairing of art and poetry. One of my favorite things about this anthology is that the artworks and pieces of poetry that are paired with each other tend to be from utterly different eras, but somehow they say the same things. The works have great variety: wide time range, many nationalities. This was a must own book for me; I read it over and over.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I snagged this from the clearance cart at a Half Price a few weeks ago. The poetry and paintings are not always matched well, but there are interesting examples of both. Some of the paintings that stick out in my memory: Vincent van Gogh's painting of a baby taking its first steps, and 18th and 19th century depictions of children blowing soap bubbles.
Suzi
Mar 23, 2008 Suzi rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Art & Love: An Illustrated Anthology of Love Poetry from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The cover price is $16.95 and it was published in 1990.

This book is what text books in literature should be like. Small. Engaging. Beautifully illustrated with some of the great works of art throughout history. I picked it up for a dollar at the library book sale in October.
Tia
Mar 04, 2011 Tia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-poets
A wonderful gift (or gift-for-self:). This book pairs great poems with great works of visual art. As a huge fan of juxtapositions and interdisciplinary artistic dialogues (ever the Gallatin student!), I adore this idea.

I am not a big fan of the flowery cover, though:), so I ditched it and my version is just a cool blue hardcover. Heh.
Abby
Dec 16, 2011 Abby rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading the poems in this book and the art is coordinated well with the poems. The poems are a good mix of contemporary and to early AD. This time reading the poems I enjoyed the contemporary American authors.
Janet
Jun 10, 2015 Janet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A stellar collection of beautiful paintings and poems. The poems are multicultural and from all eras, from Shakespeare to e.e. cummings, to Rabindranath Tagore. A wonderful book to read aloud to your beloved.
Clayton Chase
Dec 03, 2012 Clayton Chase rated it really liked it
At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet. - Plato
Susan
Jun 19, 2007 Susan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I love the poetry selection and the art selection, they compliment each other very well. Wonderful book.
angrykitty
May 02, 2008 angrykitty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
this is a most excellent poetry book. it's great in that it matches classic/pretty well known poems with works of art. top drawer.
Carol
Nov 12, 2015 Carol rated it liked it
Lovely.....
Crystal
May 09, 2010 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
My husband and I used this as the guest book for our wedding. It is now a lovely coffee table book that inspires us romantically.
Allison
Mar 18, 2008 Allison rated it really liked it
wonderful poetry with beautiful illustrations
SaturNalia
SaturNalia rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2010
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Ananda
Ananda rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Marianne
Marianne rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2009
Shari
Shari rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2011
Shana
Shana rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2013
Sonya
Sonya rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2010
Irmantas
Irmantas rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2011
Darcy Goshorn
Darcy Goshorn rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2009
Janet Goodfriend
Janet Goodfriend rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2010
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it liked it
May 10, 2017
Autumn
Autumn rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Odelsa
Odelsa rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Poetry Readers Ch...: Art & Love 5 10 Jun 13, 2014 06:16AM
I grew up in Southern Pines, NC and began writing poetry seriously when I was 26, after my 2 children were born. A scholarship enabled me to move with my kids to New York to pursue a degree in literature at Columbia University. There I studied with the poet Kenneth Koch and we soon became friends and collaborators. My first two books were written with Koch and five solo books followed.

My latest bo
More about Kate Farrell...