Start by marking “Sacred Hoops: Spiritual Lessons of a Hardwood Warrior” as Want to Read:
Sacred Hoops: Spiritual Lessons of a Hardwood Warrior

Sacred Hoops: Spiritual Lessons of a Hardwood Warrior

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  2,724 Ratings  ·  209 Reviews
Spiritual Lessons of a Hardwood Warrior Not only is there more to life than basketball, there's a lot more to basketball than basketball. -- Phil Jackson One of the most successful coaches in NBA history, Phil Jackson provides an inside look at the higher wisdom of teamwork with Sacred Hoops -- Jackson's philosophy of mindful basketball and his life-long quest to bring enl ...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published February 1st 2001 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published October 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Sacred Hoops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacred Hoops

Michael Scott
Nov 11, 2011 Michael Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first discovered this book in the late nineties during a time of great discord and transition in my life. Phil's approach to life, which embodies merging one's vocation with a larger spiritual quest, was transformational for me. His book offers a unique look at the bizarre tactics he used to build a winning formula as a basketball coach as well in his own life exploration. I found myself particularly enamored with the following sentence in his book:

"In basketball -- as in life -- true joy come
07EthanH
Sep 13, 2011 07EthanH rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Born in North Dakota, Phil Jackson was raised in a very Christian home. He played basketball as a kid and fell in love with it. It was more his religion than Christianity. He played all through high school and managed to get recruited at North Dakota University.
While in college, a friend introduced Jackson to Zen. Being a Christian, he found this strange. Over time, Jackson became very interested in Zen and began to meditate. Meditation calmed his mind and helped him concentrate on things. He
Ben Rollins
Sep 22, 2016 Ben Rollins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally found the time to finish this incredibly interesting book! Written by Phil Jackson, one of the greatest coaching minds of all time. Phil Jackson had an interesting childhood being the son of a pastor. His parent's strict parenting style made him a fierce competitor on the playing field that ultimately lead him to be a professional athlete. When injuries ended his playing career early he decided to coach. Once again, his background came into play. Phil wasn't your typical coach he took ...more
Mike W
Jan 14, 2012 Mike W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sacred Hoops" is an engrossing account of Phil Jackson's career as a basketball player and a coach with special focus the evolution of his thinking that led to unparallelled success with the Chicago Bulls and later with the Los Angeles Lakers.

I despised the Bulls when I was younger. I couldn't forgive them for displacing the Lakers as the dominant team in the NBA. But then, Kareem had retired, and the other Laker stars were aging, so decline was inevitable. Meanwhile, the Bulls were a truly aw
ba
Jan 08, 2009 ba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Championship Bulls Teams
Recommended to ba by: The
I've read better books about the glory years of the Chicago Bulls. I've read better books about Zen and other non-western styles of thought. I've read better books in general. However, I quite enjoyed reading this. It's a fast read, and very simply written, yet there's a lot to think about.

It's easier to take it seriously if you pretend that Phil Jackson died when he left The Bulls rather than ditching his wife and family to babysit a bunch of date-rapists in L.A.
Tommy McGreevy
May 29, 2017 Tommy McGreevy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very good. I really like the way it was written, and I loved all of the lessons and teachings that are shown the Phil Jackson taught to his team. Phil jackson was a very philosophical person and learned amazing things in his life, and he passed these amazing ideas and teachings to his players and us through this book. I have nothing bad to say about this book and would greatly recommend it to anyone who likes anything philosophy, basketball, or cared little to none about each. It i ...more
Jonah Ogunsanya
Feb 21, 2017 Jonah Ogunsanya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whether one is believes in Zen meditation or not, it is easy to agree that Sacred Hoops is an excellent story on one simple mans journey form humble church-goer to 11-time NBA championship head coach. Phil Jackson's autobiography teaches one with a conflicted mind to clear their head, and move past roadblocks.

This book begins with Jackson in his mid-teens. His family has been forcing him to study the Catholic religion for years now, and Phil is beginning to disagree with some terms the religion
Susan
Oct 15, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After March Madness I heard of and tried to read _When the Garden Was Eden_ (about the NY Knicks in the 1970's) but it was too much of an insider's story for me. But that got me poking around for more books of those players and teams, and somehow I landed on Phil Jackson's book. Jackson was a player on the Knicks back in the day, and then coached the Chicago Bulls during the years of Michael Jordan's meteoric return to the game and the Bulls' taking the NBA championship.

But what made this book r
Peter Velic
May 28, 2015 Peter Velic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pg. 207
When Jordan retired for the first time due to his father's death and his desire to play baseball, the Bulls were crushed. They knew that their odds of winning the next championship fell off a cliff. They had little to no energy for the next season without their leader. However, Jackson and the Bulls almost went to the finals again, but lost a heartbreaking series to the Knicks. How the heck did Jackson do this?

Now time for the full review.

Somehow, Phil Jackson went on to win 13 championsh
Grant Whitebloom
I thought this book was interesting and enlightening, but it was not really what I thought it was going to be. While I initially had the idea that Spiritual Hoops was going to have lots of player stories and inside notes from the famous Phil Jackson, I found that it was a lot deeper than that. Jackson talked about his Zen Buddhist religion quite a bit throughout the story, and at points I felt it was too much. However, the book did provide lots of good lessons that can be applied not only to bas ...more
Wilte
Jun 14, 2015 Wilte rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mix of sports writing, Lakota Sioux, Zen and Christian insights and reflections. Jackson describes the different basketball championships he won with the Chicago Bulls.

Funny quote on a meta-level: "I find it amusing when people ask me where I get my ideas for motivating players. The answer is: in the moment. My approach to problem-solving is the same as my approach to the game. When a problem arises, I try to read the situation as accurately as possible and respond spontaneously to whatever's ha
Vita  Watson
In this book Phil Jackson explains to readers his coaching methods in sports and his beliefs throughout his life. I loved the spiritual element he added into coaching and being part of a team. I also really liked how he didn't focus on one religion, but took ideas from multiple and lived off of those, allowing him to grow and help others grow too. The book was a little boring at times, but some stories he told were incredible. The lessons you learn in this book are to be selfless and accepting, ...more
Murray
Apr 14, 2009 Murray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A special book for me; a readable book on sport and one that does manage to combine the pragmatic with the spiritual.
I was given this book by a dear American friend who trained me in his approach to executive coaching and leadership. His death (way out of time) a year later has made this all the more precious.

The back cover talks of the higher wisdom of teamwork employed by the head coach of the Chicago Bulls basketball team, Phil Jackson. He has a fresh and refreshing look at leadership issues
Adi Alsaid
Picked this up in preparation for my coaching job.

Although he's clearly an intelligent man of many ideas and a deep understanding of the game, the book is disjointed, repetitive and doesn't seem to follow any real logical or even thematic progression. He doesn't elaborate when it would be interesting for him to do so and he repeats himself without adding any new insights too often.

While it has set some sort of foundation on what I would want to do as a basketball coach, it wasn't exactly what I
Wayne
Aug 23, 2008 Wayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phil Jackson is a legendary coach in the NBA. He explores the way he coached the Chicago Bulls and LA Lakers to World Championships using the intellect and the philosophy of the Lakota Indians. This book is not just for sports minded people. This book is for people who want to be the best they can b, starting from a beautiful place and finishing with ones humility in tact. I read it again and again.
Calvin Foun
Feb 09, 2015 Calvin Foun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that Phil Jackson gave a lot of interesting philosophical ways to think about basketball. Since I love basketball, I loved reading about how to play the best team basketball and about Michael Jordan and the Bulls. It taught me about what the NBA was like before I started watching basketball.
Garrett Bolen
I would say that this book should be read by any gender because it displays a universal lesson that teamwork, hard work, and dedication can achieve tremendous success. I would rate this a 5 out of 5. I would recommend this novel to any person regardless of gender who love basketball and sports in general.
Nathaniel
Nov 01, 2010 Nathaniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lou Gaglia
Jan 01, 2017 Lou Gaglia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book very much all the way through. Particularly liked reading about the Bulls. As a Knicks fan, I "hated" them, but they were a great team. Total respect.
Liam Beck
Jun 01, 2017 Liam Beck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phil Jackson, a former player and coach in the National Basketball Association, has further revealed his experiences in the league through his autobiography titled, Sacred Hoops: Spiritual Lessons of a Hardwood Warrior. Jackson explains the approaches he utilized to win eleven NBA championships as well as strategic methods the everyday person can adopt to improve their quality of living.

The National Basketball Association is an American basketball league founded in June 1946. After being drafted
Chris
May 30, 2017 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael Samataro
1. I read this book because I am a Chicago Bulls fan and I wanted to know more about why Phil Jackson was such a great coach and what it took for him to coach superstar players like Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Kobe Bryant.

2. The book gives an inside look into Phil Jackson's coaching methods and how he became a successful coach. He starts all the way at the bottom of coaching and eventually goes on to win eleven rings. Through his love of Zen Buddhism he learns very effective ways on how
Franco
Jul 17, 2017 Franco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
thoroughly enjoyed this eventhough i wasn't with the MJ & the Bulls crusade in '96 (i was a Stockton-to-Malone believer, which eventually disappoint). maybe i enjoyed this a lot because i am a big fan of the sport, in general. it provided a vicarious thrill, delving deep into the mind of Phil Jackson (one of the best, if not the best, basketball minds ever—just forget that he bungled the Knicks organization that lead to his eventual ouster as their General Manager just a few weeks ago), and ...more
Nick Loverde
May 29, 2017 Nick Loverde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sacred Hoops: Spiritual Lessons Of A Hardwood Warrior by Phil Jackson is a very well thought out and intriguing book. It caught my eye as soon as I flipped the first page. The lessons taught by Phil Jackson not only work, but have first hand encounters of all these lessons working. This book was fantastic, and makes me want to work on my basketball game using the lessons from the book. Phil Jacksons coaching of the champion Chicago Bulls, arguably one of the greatest teams that ever played the g ...more
Ron Wroblewski
Jul 06, 2017 Ron Wroblewski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super excellent book describing how the Chicago Bull Basketball team was such a powerhouse for many year. It wasn't just the players (Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippin etc), but how they were coached.
Dwayne Coleman
May 15, 2017 Dwayne Coleman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book for people who are less interested in basketball. I've read it several times, and it has some flaws but remains enjoyable.
Modestas
Jun 22, 2017 Modestas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read for everyone who is leading people.
Oullie
May 14, 2017 Oullie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up because Mary Karr mentioned it in her book the Art of the Memoir. Didn't find it as interesting as she may have.
Adam
Mar 07, 2017 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
even as a basketball fan and having a high degree of curiosity about coaching the sort I still feel very lukewarm about the book. many of the Zen teachings don't really fit well with surrounding context and there is no overarching narrative to the book. it is a bit rudderless. if you are a huge Jordan fan perhaps you'll enjoy this but really there's nothing substantial to takeaway or anything about it that's compelling either.

I would also add that my $0.02 upon reading this is just how freaking
Danny Harms
Oct 31, 2013 Danny Harms rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Sacred Hoops was a good read as it was a book about Phil Jackson and his experiences with basketball on what he learned, experienced and taught. Phil Jackson is a retired NBA coach and player. He was considered one of the best coaches ever in the NBA.
The story is told about his life and how he was born in a very Christian home and how he always loved the sport of basketball. It mentions his experiences as a player in the NBA and how he transformed into one of the greatest coaches ever.
  • They Call Me Coach
  • Life on the Run
  • The Carolina Way: Leadership Lessons from a Life in Coaching
  • Let Me Tell You a Story: A Lifetime in the Game
  • For the Love of the Game: My Story
  • Eagle Blue: A Team, a Tribe, and a High School Basketball Season in Arctic Alaska
  • Heaven Is a Playground
  • West by West: My Charmed, Tormented Life
  • The Winner Within
  • The Assist: Hoops, Hope, and the Game of Their Lives
  • When Nothing Else Matters: Michael Jordan's Last Comeback
  • Playing for Keeps: Michael Jordan and the World He Made
  • The Last Amateurs : Playing for Glory and Honor in Division I College Basketball
  • Leading with the Heart: Coach K's Successful Strategies for Basketball, Business, and Life
  • Red and Me: My Coach, My Lifelong Friend
  • Drive: The Story of My Life
  • Season of Life: A Football Star, a Boy, a Journey to Manhood
  • Glory Road: My Story of the 1966 NCAA Basketball Championship and How One Team Triumphed Against the Odds and Changed America Forever
Philip Douglas "Phil" Jackson is a retired American professional basketball coach and former player. Jackson is widely considered one of the greatest coaches in the history of the National Basketball Association (NBA).

His reputation was established as head coach of the Chicago Bulls from 1989 through 1998, during which Chicago won six NBA titles. His next team, the Los Angeles Lakers, won five NBA
More about Phil Jackson...