Writing from the Inside Out

Writing from the Inside Out

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  26 reviews
"Dennis Palumbo has great insight into a writer s psyche.... Every writer should have a shrink or this book. The book is cheaper."
--Gary Shandling, actor, comic, and writer"wise, compassionate, and funny..."
--Aram Saroyan, poet and novelist

"Dennis Palumbo provides a sense of community in the isolation of writing, of knowing that we are not alone on this uncharted and privi...more
Published October 2nd 2000 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about Writing from the Inside Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing from the Inside Out

Richard Szponder
The writing life brings its many challenges in terms of craft alone, but the often underestimated blocks that impact the writer even more so are those of a psychological nature, the anxieties and fear that can often leave a writer feeling lonely, depressed, and hopeless. Writer and psychotherapist Dennis Palumbo shares anecdotes from his own writing past as well as from the lives of his friends and clients that allows these emotional issues to surface. In Writing From The Inside Out, Palumbo enc...more
Julie
Most writers are sensitive by nature, and can use this encouragement from someone who understands. This book is very therapeutic, and certainly cheaper than paying for your own psychiatric sessions. Mr. Palumbo has a deep understanding of the psychological struggles writers face as they attempt to tap into their creativity, then offer it to a fickle, often far less intelligent world of consumers to reject. I like how he notes that many writers are stunned that works they thought were less valuab...more
Blair Mirth
This book was freaking amazing. It has to be hands down one of the best books about writing I have ever read. I enjoyed it so much, that it scared me. Why? It is a different writing books from the ones I usually read [and I read a lot, and will continue you too] it scared me also because there were times when I thought, I wonder if I will read another book on writing again after I read this.

It was powerful, and present, even though it was published [at least my edition] 14 years ago. The issues...more
Lorraine Haataia
Stressed out because you haven't written as much as you wish you have by now? Feeling like you've failed when it comes to your writing? Out of ideas? Then you must lie down and savor the comforting stories and words of psychotherapist Dennis Palumbo. After you read this book you'll enjoy more pleasure in your own process of writing and you'll be more accepting with the connections between the characters in your life and the stories you put down on paper. But more importantly, you'll have less st...more
Mark
This is one of the most positive books on writing I've read since Natalie Goldberg's WRITING DOWN THE BONES. It's not a "getting writing again" program. It's not an inspiriation handbook. It's not a how to book on being a writer at all. The author is a successful screenwriter turned therapist for writers and the book is essentially theraputic advice and professional experience for any and all writers. It's 242 pages of reassurance without ever being coddling, placating or condescending. He knows...more
Stuart Wakefield
This book could be called Chicken Soup for the Writer's Soul. I found it a comforting read with two key messages: you're not alone; keep going.
Noelle
Helpful. Inspiring. Keep it within sight.
Ariel Spengler
I think this book would be great to pick up and read when you're struggling with beginning your writing or stuck somewhere in the middle. Otherwise, the information inside was a little common sense and not helpful for someone without a writing project they're struggling with. It was also very heavy on screenwriting examples, which isn't something I'm dealing with.
Therese Gilardi
i love the way this book is divided and how the therapist/writer pulls no punches. he uses real case studies and does not shy away from addressing the fundamental truths of the writing life, not the least of which is his belief that the writer is only in competition with himself. a refreshingly honest read.
Louise Mathewson
I loved this book!! I am going to go back and jot each thought I want to remember from the first few chapters. Chapters are short and to the point. He wrote for Welcome Back Kotter and is a psychologist who works with writers, etc. It was very helpful to me as a writer!!
Leslie
This is a wonderful, inviting book for writers by a psychotherapist and writer who understands not only what writers experience (the doubts, the fears, the failures) but why. Well worth reading if you're interested in writing. Not a how to book, but a why to.
Gregory
One of the best books on writing I've read. This guy was a screenwriter who did movies and TV, then became a shrink specializing in working with writers. He gives some of the best supportive encouragement and advice to a writer of any book I've seen.
Barbara
I always recommend this book to my students. Palumbo is a former screenwriter who now has a psychotherapy practice in Los Angeles and works with creative types with blocks or worries of the creative sort. My students love this book.
Heather
Sep 13, 2010 Heather marked it as to-read
I saw this author featured on "Between The Lines", which is a public television show that features authors and journalists. As a writer, I needed to hear the advice he gives! Can't wait to read the book!
Frank Pray
Useful. Written with compassion, and from a perspective of having personally been there. Palumbo reminds the writer of the "why" of writing, and invites renewal and grounding in that core love.
Mora Lee
Apr 03, 2013 Mora Lee marked it as to-read
Watched an interview with this author on Barry Kibbrick's PBS show, "Between the Lines." Kibbrick is great, and so is Palumbo. Really good advice from a seasoned writer and therapist.
Laurie owyang
Palumbo is an author and a psychotherapist. He writes in a very straightforward and supportive way about writers' block, doubts, angst, etc. Very helpful.
Matthew Burkhardt
A really helpful book full of insight into the struggles that writers go through and strategies to cope with the difficulties of the writing life.
Lorna
Lovely, comforting, short chapters covering all the various neuroses of a writer. A series of therapy sessions, without the expense.
Susan

Inspirational book -- in the same vein as Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones
Laura Langston

Brilliant insights and a book I return to when I need clarity or inspiration.
Guy
Jul 16, 2009 Guy added it
Excellent. Like having a writer friend to talk to just by opening it
Samantha Cartmel
All creatives, even non-writers, should read this book at least once.
Matt
Dude got right in my head with this one.
Gillian Doyle
EXCELLENT book for all writers!!
Anna
Thank you God for this book.
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Vicky Blake
Vicky Blake marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
  • The Courage to Write: How Writers Transcend Fear
  • Making a Literary Life
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • What Would Your Character Do?: Personality Quizzes for Analyzing Your Characters
  • The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life
  • A Writer's Book of Days: A Spirited Companion and Lively Muse for the Writing Life
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters
  • Writing Past Dark: Envy, Fear, Distraction and Other Dilemmas in the Writer's Life
  • What If?: Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers
  • Techniques of the Selling Writer
  • The Weekend Novelist
  • Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time
  • Pen on Fire: A Busy Woman's Guide to Igniting the Writer Within
  • Spunk & Bite: A Writer's Guide to Punchier, More Engaging Language & Style
  • How to Grow a Novel: The Most Common Mistakes Writers Make and How to Overcome Them
  • The Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Includes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types
  • GMC: Goal, Motivation and Conflict: The Building Blocks of Good Fiction
Formerly a Hollywood screenwriter, Dennis Palumbo is now a licensed psychotherapist in private practice. He's the author of a mystery collection, From Crime to Crime, and his short fiction has appeared in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, The Strand and elsewhere."
More about Dennis Palumbo...
Mirror Image Fever Dream: A Daniel Rinaldi Mystery Night Terrors: A Daniel Rinaldi Mystery From Crime to Crime: The Smart Guys Marching Society and Other Tales of Mystery and Murder Phantom Limb: A Daniel Rinaldi Mystery