Start by marking “The Great Psychedelic Armadillo Picnic: A "Walk" in Austin” as Want to Read:
The Great Psychedelic Armadillo Picnic: A "Walk" in Austin

The Great Psychedelic Armadillo Picnic: A "Walk" in Austin (Crown Journeys Series)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Kinky Friedman, the original Texas Jewboy, takes us on a rollicking, rock-and-rolling tour of his favorite city: Austin.
Maybe you want to know which restaurant President Bush rates as his favorite Austin burger joint. Or maybe you want a glimpse of Willie Nelson's home life (hint: Willie plays a lot of golf). Perhaps you want to get the best view of the Mexican free-tail
Published October 5th 2004 by Crown Publishers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Psychedelic Armadillo Picnic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Psychedelic Armadillo Picnic

Roisin
A very funny, honest, amusing and enlightening short guide to Austin Kinkster style. He talks about history, fable, places, music, clothes, food with an enthusiasm and joy. Some of his politics, and mingling with a George Bush? Pass! Mr Friedman equates the legalisation of guns with the reduction of crime. Evidence please? Yet he champions independent and feminist book stores, counter culture, the unusual and the just plain weird.

There is even a glossary, word search and 'Are You New Austin Or O
Fox
May 28, 2009 Fox rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Townes v Z
Shelves: non-fiction, 2009
This was a short, enjoyable read that never left me bored. The Kinkster's writing style was the main appeal of the book; jokes and questionable statements came far out of left field and left you wondering exactly what you had read at times.

The highlights of the book included his theory of Eagle Scout's all become mass-murderers, the fact you should never trust a man named either Charles or Wayne, and his various rants on Willie Nelson.

As a travel book it was light and informative. I'd really li
Marsha
This is a wonderful travel guide to Austin. Now that I've been living in Austin for almost a year, I particularly enjoy the author's tips and inside reflections about the city and the people who live here. For instance, he wrote, "Be sure you have a favorite football team. Be sure it is the Texas Longhorns." This is the University of Texas football team and people who live here are diehard fans. Friedman wrote, "Practice saying that you are going to Austin for vacation, rather than Texas. Austin ...more
Marilyn Brooks
Kinky is a fun and funny conversational style writer. A lot of the information in this book is still good though it is ten years old. A lot of history is preserved by someone who knew the players. A quick and enjoyable read for folks interested in Austin.
Joshua Friedman
Part Austin guidebook, part Kinky Friedman self-congratulatory propaganda. I can't wait to visit Austin!
Kay
Enjoyed what I read of it (about half) but then got sidetracked when I returned from Austin and never had a compelling reason to finish it. I'll go back to it before my next trip to Austin, which will probably be in October (2011). Friedman is one of a kind, a genu-wine character.
Mintymedley
I know it is difficult to get in to travel books that don't have handy maps or any photos but I would recommend this one to anyone thinking about heading to Austin Tx for any amount of time. The author has a sarcastic humor that keeps you going through all the descriptions.
Sherry (sethurner)
I listened to this one on CD, read by Mr. Friedman himself. His deadpan Texas drawl made it for me. Basically this is a tour of Austin, complete with juicy bits of history and side trips to watering holes and music halls. Lots of fun.
Karla
Our son has lived in Austin for a few years now and we visit at least annually. I decided to read this book as a travel guide and was pleasantly surprised by the stories and humor the author adds to a city he obviously loves.
Ginger
Pay no attention to the other reviewers, anyone who has a place for Austin in their heart will love this book! Kinky Friedman provides an intimate portrait of Austin from the 60s to the 90s.
Julie
I got thise audio book from the library and put it on my ipod to listen to during dog walks and it's actually good. It's got a lot of fun Austin history and trivia in it. I'm really enjoying it.
bigmuzz
a guide to austin from the kinkster's point of view.... if i ever find myself in america, i'll definitely have to go through austin and look for willie's bus...
Obisbooks
Kinky's hometown view. A bit of history, a bit of travel a bit of silliness (Apparition-American) but a view of Austin you don't get from regular travel guides.
Robin
This is a tour of Austin TX with history, anecdotes, restaurant reviews. Always humorous, Kinky sells the city!
Darcy
May 03, 2010 Darcy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
The raunch and misogyny I've come to expect from the Dream Governor of Texas, plus really good restaurant tips.
Rebecca
Tips on cool things to do in Austin. We went to some of the restaurants he recommended, and we liked them.
David
Wow, what a cool way to learn about Austin. It makes me want to take several trips there right away.
Brady
Just a quick read with some fun, historical Austin info. Love Kinky's writing.
Serena
Jun 23, 2012 Serena rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Olivia
Shelves: travel
I read this before a trip to Austin, and it was a definite bonus to the trip.
Gwen Bartlett
Enjoyed his descriptions of famous people from Austin. Very funny!
Kate
Jan 02, 2014 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Austin transplants
Recommended to Kate by: PCL
"Remember, happiness, like Texas, is a highly transitory state."
Russ
I should like to book a trip to Austin now please.
Chris Boyles
A fun read on my (possible) future home.
Carrie
Great notes on Austin. I love this series.
Rebekah
makes you love austin all the more.
Candace
A fab goofball def "gets" Austin ;)
Beth Shields-Szostak
Jun 22, 2010 Beth Shields-Szostak marked it as to-read
1st edition
Samanta Bićanić
Samanta Bićanić marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
  • Charm City: A Walk Through Baltimore
  • Gullible's Travels: The Adventures of a Bad Taste Tourist
  • Travelers' Tales India: True Stories
  • Lost Cosmonaut: Observations of an Anti-Tourist
  • I Should Have Stayed Home: The Worst Trips of Great Writers (Travel Literature Series)
  • I Hate People!: Kick Loose from the Overbearing and Underhanded Jerks at Work and Get What You Want Out of Your Job
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2009
  • Murder for Christmas
  • Building a Bridge to the 18th Century: How the Past Can Improve Our Future
  • As the Romans Do: An American Family's Italian Odyssey
  • The Interesting Narrative and Other Writings
  • Jaguars Ripped My Flesh
  • Sand in My Bra and Other Misadventures: Funny Women Write from the Road
Richard S. "Kinky" Friedman is an American singer, songwriter, novelist, humorist, politician and former columnist for Texas Monthly who styles himself in the mold of popular American satirists Will Rogers and Mark Twain. He was one of two independent candidates in the 2006 election for the office of Governor of Texas. Receiving 12.6% of the vote, Friedman placed fourth in the six-person race.

Frie
More about Kinky Friedman...

Crown Journeys Series (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Fugitives and Refugees: A Walk in Portland, Oregon
  • Blues City: A Walk in Oakland
  • Lost in My Own Backyard: A Walk in Yellowstone National Park
  • Time and Tide: A Walk Through Nantucket
  • Never a City So Real: A Walk in Chicago
Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola (Kinky Friedman, #6) Roadkill (Kinky Friedman, #10) Greenwich Killing Time (Kinky Friedman, #1) Armadillos and Old Lace (Kinky Friedman, #7) Kill Two Birds and Get Stoned