Start by marking “Texas Hold 'Em: How I Was Born in a Manger, Died in the Saddle, and Came Back as a Horny Toad” as Want to Read:

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  160 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews

"Texas Hold 'Em is more than just a card game. It deals…with that fine, forgotten art of playing a poor hand well…Texas Hold 'Em is a state of mind, a spiritual survival technique, a way of holding on to things that might just be important in this ever-changing world." --from the introduction to Texas Hold 'Em

The irrepressible, future Governor of Texas is back with a cru
Published April 18th 2006 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Texas Hold 'Em, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Texas Hold 'Em

Angel
Dec 07, 2007 Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I finally picked it up after having it sitting on my shelf for a few days. I was hoping to finish the Foxes in the Henhouse book before picking this one up, but I could not resist the call of Kinky's book.

* * * *

I finally finished reading it. I found myself liking this book. It has a nice blend of heartwarming, humor in various forms, and some moving and thoughtful moments. Kinky can go from funny as hell to downright philosophical from one page to the next. This is a book that you can read a l
Mary Brock
Feb 11, 2014 Mary Brock rated it liked it
"How I Was Born......" was ritten during the time that Friedman was contemplating running for governor. Kinky is a monster word smith with a unique way of looking at Texas. His collection of essays includes lots of biographical wistfulness. He includes his view of "Texasisms". Kinky is really funny, irreverent, and a touch of outrageous. I laughed in some spots and cringed in spots.
Hilary
I picked up Texas Hold 'em by pure chance while at the library, and eagerly jumped into it as I enjoyed The Great Psychedelic Armadillo Picnic. Texas Hold 'em did not disappoint me.

A bit of the material within the book was gleaned directly out of the previous one, but this did not greatly disappoint me. It only made the new material more noteworthy. The illustrations by John Callahan were ridiculous and decidedly not politically correct which added to the overall fun feel of the book itself.

I lo
Cvplummer
Dec 29, 2008 Cvplummer rated it it was ok
I don't know how this ended up in my possession.. but, it has been in a stack of books next to my bed for about two years.. Finally I got around to reading it... I do have to say that the "concept" of Kinky Friedman is quite endearing to the American spirt-- a jewish cowboy, birthed from the aftermath of the hippies and filling a void for Texans who have that true spirit of independence in a state dominated by big business and Republicans. However, this was kinda thin.. kinda just rambling secon ...more
Kathy
Nov 22, 2007 Kathy rated it liked it
From a blog post I wrote in 2005:

Nope, it isn't about my favorite Poker game, Texas Hold 'Em is a book by Kinky Friedman. It's another one of his collections of stories about his life, family and friends and acquaintances. If my list of familiars included Willie Nelson, Pat Green, Bill Clinton and W and Laura Bush, I'd be writing a book, too. (Though I probably wouldn't mention W.)

Fun read - the Kinkster is always entertaining and I hope he does well in his pursuit of the Governor's office in Te
Ron Wallace
Feb 11, 2008 Ron Wallace rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes to laugh out loud.
Shelves: top-shelf
Fun from the start, I laughed out loud at times. Texas should have elected Kinky as governor; he's smart and knows how to manuever the world around. The book is one great story after another. Southern Living magazine called him the new Mark Twain, and I'm inclined to agree. The man's a genius; I'd almost move to Texas to vote for him if he runs again.
Jayne
Jul 27, 2011 Jayne rated it really liked it
It's kind of a political biography but it's more a series of anecdotes.

There's something to be said for someone who runs for governorship whose campaigne slogan is, 'Why the hell not?' and their their platform is 'to fight the wussification of this great state.'

If nothing else it's entertaining reading.
Renie
Mar 13, 2010 Renie rated it liked it
A collection of down-home vignettes by Kinky Friedman...enjoyable in it's own right. I chuckled out loud at a couple of the phrasings as well as the colorful vocabulary found in this set of Texas country boy musings.
Lee Ann
Jun 24, 2009 Lee Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
funny but not much new. Just a rehash of his older stuff. “You have reached a new level of political correctness, even lower than your last record.” Laura Bush. It's good for Kinky fans. I sent it to my grandmother.
Clif Smith
Sep 07, 2011 Clif Smith rated it really liked it
Can't resist a Kinky, even one that is a bit dated.
Not your typical Black Hat, cigar smoking Kinkster mystery. It's a funny collection of articles and nonsense by the pre-governor candidate.
Sterlingcindysu
Jan 14, 2010 Sterlingcindysu rated it it was ok
Short autobiography of a former country music star who was running for governor of Texas. Quick read. Title refers to the act of holding on to what is important to you.
Ashlea (plotdriven.com)
Not his best book (for that, I'd pick one of the mystery novels) but quintessentially Kinky.
Jenny
Apr 07, 2008 Jenny rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who want to joke a lot about texas
Shelves: nonfiction
Kind of a rehash of other KF writing. I mean I always love the Kinkster, but ....eh.
Frances
Mar 26, 2012 Frances rated it really liked it
My first Kinky book...I'll read more now. Good fun.
Star Valdez
Jan 13, 2009 Star Valdez rated it liked it
Shelves:
FUNNY. (whistle wetting, country-isms, chuckles.)
TK Keanini
Apr 09, 2007 TK Keanini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, humor
Required reading for when I moved to Austin.
Damon Gulczynski
Mar 20, 2008 Damon Gulczynski is currently reading it
Not bad so far.
Treva Smutz
Treva Smutz rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
Celia
Celia marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Aimee Shaffer
Aimee Shaffer marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Vicki
Vicki added it
Feb 09, 2016
James
James added it
Feb 07, 2016
Paul Bauer
Paul Bauer rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Andrea Hart
Andrea Hart marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Nils Riess
Nils Riess marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
  • Willie: An Autobiography
  • About What Was Lost: Twenty Writers on Miscarriage, Healing, and Hope
  • Letters from Nuremberg: My Father's Narrative of a Quest for Justice
  • March of the Penguins: Companion to the Major Motion Picture
  • Thanks for the Memories, Mr. President: Wit and Wisdom from the Front Row at the White House
  • The Jack Bank: A Memoir of a South African Childhood
  • Ernie's War: The Best of Ernie Pyle's World War II Dispatches
  • Tales from the Scale: Women Weigh in on Thunder Thighs, Cheese Fries, and Feeling Good...at Any Size
  • Man of Constant Sorrow: My Life and Times
  • Life's Little Annoyances: True Tales of People Who Just Can't Take It Anymore
  • Saints Behaving Badly: The Cutthroats, Crooks, Trollops, Con Men, and Devil-Worshippers Who Became Saints
  • Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Dictionary: Words You Thought You Knew the Meaning Of
  • The Gift Giver: A True Story
  • Into the Rising Sun: In Their Own Words, World War II's Pacific Veterans Reveal the Heart of Combat
  • Yossarian Slept Here: When Joseph Heller Was Dad, the Apthorp Was Home, and Life Was a Catch-22
  • Who Let the Dogs In?: Incredible Political Animals I Have Known
Richard S. "Kinky" Friedman is an American singer, songwriter, novelist, humorist, politician and former columnist for Texas Monthly who styles himself in the mold of popular American satirists Will Rogers and Mark Twain. He was one of two independent candidates in the 2006 election for the office of Governor of Texas. Receiving 12.6% of the vote, Friedman placed fourth in the six-person race.

Frie
More about Kinky Friedman...