Late, Lost, and Unprepared: A Parents' Guide to Helping Children with Executive Functioning

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Late, Lost and Unprepared Executive functions are the cognitive skills that help us manage our lives and be successful. This book is suitable for parents of children from primary school through high school who struggle with: Impulse Control; Cognitive Flexibility; Initiation; Working Memory; Planning & Organising; and, Self-monitoring. Full description
Published October 15th 2008 by Woodbine House Inc.,U.S.

Lars Guthrie
While I'm not sure I learned anything new about executive functioning from 'Late, Lost,' it helped me to rethink many conceptions I already had and prompted me to formulate new strategies for my work with kids. At least for me, the first six chapters were unnecessary filler. If you are reading the book, do you need to know why you are reading the book? To the authors' credit, they give the reader permission, even encourage the reader, to skip and double back. And although they may bog down in re...more
Curlita
The first half of this book is discussion of executive function and the lack thereof. It's sort of anxiety-producing, because it's a lot of descriptions of the problem -- case studies, examples, etc. talking about what's wrong. And some rather disheartening advice, like how deal with all the stress of helping your child, and how you should think of your child as something with a disability (in that they will need some significant level of accommodation). Fortunately, the second half of the book...more
Kathleen
After receiving feedback from DD's teacher about some impulse control issues I found my way to "Late, Lost." While reading the early chapters I realized that I am the one with more significant executive function issues than my child. With that being said I have picked up some valuable ideas for us both, and I would heartily recommend this quick book for anyone who has a child who:

"doesn't notice when she's gone off on a tangent, who doesn't notice 'careless' errors, who interrupts others so she...more
Robyn
Full of insightful information on kids who cannot seem to get it together. I took lots of notes and now just need to start implementing them. Ti is the poster child for this- give him a verbal list- and gaurantee none will get done. Needs to turn something in . . . what was the assignment? you get the idea. SO now I need to try and be proactive and help him learn to deal with his "executive functioning". And there were some interesting ideas that will help Jack and Spicer as well. Hope- well we...more
This book is written more for partents, or teachers who are just starting to deal with kids who have executive functioning dysfunction. (Exectuive Functioning includes memory, impulse control, organization of materials, planning ahead.) It was too basic for it to be much help for me. It really does have some great ideas (cognitive behavior techniques) for parents who struggle with this in themselves or with children.
Rachael
This was a great "in a nutshell" book on executive functioning. My favorite on the topic. A nice combination of science and application. I think this whole concept is fascinating and enjoy learning more about how our brains develop. While it can overwhelming to consider making up deficits in my son's development, it's equally awe-inspiring to consider how this usually occurs naturally. What a lot we take for granted!
Karen Christensen
I can highly recommend this for anyone who is trying to raise a child with ADHD...although it would be helpful for the raising of all boys, in my opinion! My only disappointment is that a lot of the examples and tools given are for the younger child, and would not be appropriate for my 11-year old son. Still, some great ideas on how to help him develop his executive functioning skills!
Krista Stevens
FANTASTIC resource for parents, teachers, and kids. Executive Functioning Disorder is not well understood, even by educators - this book has almost everything you want to know about what it is and how to help kids (and parents and teachers) learn to understand and live with this. If you are frustrated, annoyed or at your wits' end because your child appears to be irresponsible, forgetful, and disorganized, this book may help.

It gives a broad overview of what EF is, the development of EF by age...more
Deirdre Keating
One of the best books I've read in this area. It's the first time I've seen executive functioning separated from other disabilities or issues (ADHA, Asperger's, etc). Aidan saw it on my nightstand and came out laughing and saying, "Hmm, I wonder who this is about?" But really I saw myself in many of its pages.

I love that it wasn't about a label but about strategies. Aidan is a brilliant boy who does all his work and then forgets to turn it in. Loses books regularly. Inspires me and drives me cra...more
nicebutnubbly
Another good executive skills book. Nothing revolutionary; the second half of the book basically recommends the same solution steps for multiple problems - but I found a few good, practical tidbits in it and some good pieces about dysgraphia and task initiation strategies. Worth reading if you have a kid with executive functioning issues, for sure.
Kathryn
So many writing students struggle to get their papers organized and turned in. This book offers insights into helping children with weak executive function. Helpful for a growing problem.
Janine
This book was a good overview. I can't say there was a lot of information that I didn't already know, but there were some good reminders. It's encouraging that people are really looking hard at how the brain works and recognizing that different people need different kinds of support to experience similar successes.
Beth
The first half of this book gives a good explanation of what executive function is and how a lack of it can affect a child's behavior. The second half gives strategies to help both parents and educators. This book helped me develop language to use when talking with parents and some good ideas for helping students. Most if the ideas will seem like common sense, but are articulated well.
Missurka

Explains well the overlap and the effects of executive functioning deficits in the classroom lives and in the social lives of students. While nothing earth shattering, I was able to see how these deficits have such a profound effect socially. A very good, basic book for explaining the complexities of executive functioning and how to work with your child patiently and empathetically.
Kristy
I didn't recognize my son as much in this book as I thought I woulld, only a little in the chapters on Working Memory and Planning/Organizing. I also did not think this book had any novel suggestions. They all seemed like the obvious things that a consciencious parent would do, like making lists to help remember things or checking/packing backpacks in advance to get organized.
Caroline Kipps
I found this book to be a very helpful guide with specific recommendations on how to assist my son, who is ADHD, non-attentive-type and who also has dysgraphia, especially in the areas of homework and general organization. I would recommend this book for any parent looking for a well-written guide with advice on how to manage the daily struggles these kids (and adults!) can have.
Marissa Morrison
While this book doesn't contain any remarkable new information, it is a good compendium of commonsense advice--e.g. make written schedules for kids, provide a "cool-down" spot and teach kids that big feelings interfere with thinking, have students with difficulty following directions highlight the important words in an assignment's directions before starting the work.
Dan Goldman
The first half of the book is depressing. The second half is uplifting. But ultimately, it didn't present any approaches we haven't already used. Could be more useful as our son enters middle school - I expect to skim it again in another 6 months.
Beth
I never quite finished this book, but I'm hanging onto it for reference. I think it applies more towards older elementary children and middle schoolers or high schoolers, (ages 8 and above) but still very useful.
Lori Werhane
this was an excellent book. it literally felt like the author spent time in my life when they wrote it. looking forward to putting some of the strategies in place.
Kim
A good overview of Executive Function and the difficulties associated with the LACK of it. A good overview for teachers with some fairly specific recommendations.
Carla
Good book to help parents deal with their kids with executive function lags. Very very helpful - very very specific about how you can help and what works.
Holly
I like that this book actually gives specific strategies to try instead of only defining and explaining executive dysfunction. Much more useful information.
Lynnea
There was nothing hugely eye-opening in this book for me. Rather, it was very logical and held great reminders for me as to how to help my children.
Emily Goenner
Really? The options for helping children with executive function problems were nothing new, nothing I'm not already doing. Frustrating!!
Mary-Frances
Lots of great suggestions - I'm sure this is the kind of book I'll refer to a lot throughout the rest of the school years!
Genie
Very helpful book. Explains the issue and also provides very, very helpful and concrete strategies.
Cindy
Sep 03, 2013 Cindy added it
Recommended by the guidance counsellor to help Atticus get ready for 4th grade.
Sherry
A book to help all children and all familes.
Sara
Executive functioning for dummies.
  • Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary "Executive Skills" Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential
  • Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents
  • Learning Outside The Lines : Two Ivy League Students With Learning Disabilities And ADHD Give You The Tools For Academic Success and Educational Revolution
  • That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week: Helping Disorganized and Distracted Boys Succeed in School and Life
  • Right-Brained Children in a Left-Brained World: Unlocking the Potential of Your ADD Child
  • Coaching For Performance: Growing People, Performance and Purpose
  • Is It You, Me, or Adult ADD? Stopping the Roller Coaster When Someone You Love Has Attention Deficit Disorder
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • All Dogs Have ADHD
  • Raising Resilient Children: Fostering Strength, Hope, and Optimism in Your Child
  • Overcoming Dyslexia: A New and Complete Science-Based Program for Reading Problems at Any Level
  • The Childhood Roots of Adult Happiness: Five Steps to Help Kids Create and Sustain Lifelong Joy
  • The Kazdin Method for Parenting the Defiant Child: With No Pills, No Therapy, No Contest of Wills
  • Some of My Best Friends Are Books: Guiding Gifted Readers from Pre-School to High School
  • Getting Organized in the Google Era: How to Get Stuff out of Your Head, Find It When You Need It, and Get It Done Right
  • Change Your Questions, Change Your Life: 10 Powerful Tools for Life and Work