A Fragile Stone: The Emotional Life of Simon Peter

A Fragile Stone: The Emotional Life of Simon Peter

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A Fragile Stone explores the dynamic life of the apostle Peter, revisiting well-known passages and revealing unexpected insights. Author Michael Card sketches out Peter's life, showing how the impetuo
Published December 22nd 2006 by IVP Books (first published 2003)

Amanda
I simply ADORED this book. I started falling in love with Peter when I was re-reading the Gospels this past summer. I realized how much I have in common with him, and that no matter how many times he screwed up, Jesus still loved him. At that point, I decided I wanted to learn everything there was to know about him.

This is the first (and only) book I've ever read specifically about Simon Peter, but it was exactly what I was looking for. I told a couple of people that Peter is my favorite person...more
Rick
This is a gem of a book. I finished it in only 3 days because I couldn't stop reading, I loved it!
Card uncovers personal perspectives about Peter and about Jesus. Some highlights (among MANY) that struck me:
WHEN Peter tried to walk on water:
"The lesson is that Peter needed to sink in order to take that next step of faith in Jesus. Because walking on the water does not ultimately increase our faith, only sinking does! Those who ask for miracles and receive them soon forget. But those who suffer f...more
Rachel
Absolutely *LOVED* this book! Not so deep as other books I've read, but definitely heart warming. An excellent book on the life of Peter - from denial to complete service to the Lord. :) A great read, recommend to everyone!

My sweet sister found this book and it fit so perfectly for a challenge in memorizing the book of 1 Peter on Meditations of His Love devotional blog. This was PERFECT!

"A Fragile Stone speaks to wobbly disciples who never seem to get it all together and to naive leaders who thi...more
Bethany
This book humanizes Simon Peter in a way I've never considered before - the ups and downs of trust and love and denial and forgiveness. Seeing him in this light - as a fallible human being whom God trusted enough to entrust sheep-feeding to - reminds me of the love and generosity of our Savior and His desire to use us - even in our fallibility and brokenness - to accomplish great things for His kingdom.

Well based in Scripture, this book does conjecture a little, but posits possibilities rather...more
Erin Whittenberger
Fantastic afternoon read... All about Peter, Jesus and the other disciples in the bible
Applehillcottage
Michael Card writes books like he writes songs--lyrical, beautiful prose. I didn't want this book to end. He examines Peter's life from his initial call, his first confession, his miracle walk, his babbling in the face of deity on the Mount of Transfiguration, to his ultimate betrayal and forgiveness. On each page you will discover Peter anew, and be reminded that "he is us." I taught this for an adult Sunday school class and I couldn't decide which sections to read because they are all so insig...more
Sherree Funk
This book is incredible. I love Peter and Michael Card has great insight into his character and emotions as he rocks through life on his most amazing spiritual journey. THe friendship between Peter and Jesus is brought out, and this adds to my understanding of the flesh and bones Christ. Excellent book, very biblical, covering the life of Peter from Gospels, through Acts, and even his letters.
Dec 17, 2012 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Those who want to understand Peter better
Recommended to Sarah by: Rachel Phillips
I can think of no better way to end my year of studying 1 Peter on Meditations of His Love (http://meditationsofhislove.blogspot....), then reading this book.
Michael Card did a wonderful job of telling us about the life of Peter and giving us a glimpse into his heart. He reminded me that, even though I fail often like Peter, God can use me for great things.
Jonathan Woodward
Meh. It was a good little read, but nothing spectacular. It felt almost like a devotional. Since I'm not too big on devotionals, I didn't like this book that much. It does, however, give a good depiction of the life of the Apostle Peter. If that's your thing, you'll probably rate this book at least a 4.
A wonderfully written look into the life of the Apostle Peter. This book brought the mysterious Disciple of Jesus into a whole new light for me and allowed me to read the Gospels with new eyes!
Cindy
I have always been interested in Peter because at least he "got out of the boat". The writer explores Peter's life in detail. I enjoyed this author's journey through Peter's life.
Cindy
I am really enjoying this book. Short chapters give you good things to think about.
Angela
In-depth study of the life of Peter.Well researched.
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Mitchell
Mitchell marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Jeena
Jeena is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2014
Angela Trimble
Angela Trimble marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Clay
Clay is currently reading it
Jan 20, 2014
Sarah Rochat
Sarah Rochat marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
Jan 12, 2014
Steven Lister
Steven Lister marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Andrew Stamatis
Andrew Stamatis marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Michael Card (born April 11, 1957) is an American Christian singer-songwriter, musician, author, and radio host from Franklin, Tennessee. He is best known for his contributions in contemporary Christian music, which couple folk-style melodies and instrumentation with lyrics that stem from intensive study of the...more
More about Michael Card...
A Sacred Sorrow: Reaching Out to God in the Lost Language of Lament Scribbling in the Sand A Violent Grace Luke: The Gospel of Amazement The Parable Of Joy - Reflections On The Wisdom Of The Book Of John

“True friends define each other.” 8 likes
“Cool morning shadows sadly shift across the floor
Each time we say goodbye it’s harder than before
Even after all the pain of parting still we find
That we must mourn the death of the dreams we leave behind

As I turn my back on all that means the most to me
The sounds and smells, the light that dances on the sea
The greatest gamble is to act on the belief
That only the slave who leaves it all is truly free

The sacrifice that we both lay before His feet
A thousand moments that belonged to us
That now will never be

By faith we hold a better dream inside our hearts
A time when our family will never have to be apart
Till then we struggle with just what it really means
And we will mourn the death of our beautiful dreams
Mourn the death of our beautiful dreams”
6 likes