The Question of Max (A Kate Fansler Mystery #5)

The Question of Max (A Kate Fansler Mystery #5)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  8 reviews
When professor and amateur sleuth Kate Fansler accompanies a fussy friend to the rocky coast of Maine to peruse the papers of a famous, recently deceased author, she is horrified to come across one of her students, dead. Which leads her to one very important question, namely, would Max stoop so low as to murder...?
Mass Market Paperback
Published by Ballantine Books (first published 1976)

Writerlibrarian
Interesting with an ironic twist. I liked it. Très littéraire. Even if the writers that are featured in the book are fictional you kinda want them not be so you can read Dorothy's novel or Cecily's last book. Kate Fansler is still one of the coolest heroine in the mystery genre I know. In this novel, we find Kate trying out "parenting" since her now quite grown up nephew Leo (first seen in the James Joyce Murders) on the verge of college, the moral dilemma of being true to oneself despite the co...more
Cassandra
Cross does interesting things with pacing; one knows there must be a mystery because, after all, it is a mystery novel. But the early disrupting event (view spoiler) seems not to be a mystery at all, and so the book goes along, showing life in New York City in the mid-70s, with family tangles and literary drama, and then slowly the mystery is revealed -- or is it? The 'question' of the title is very much how the book is, the question o...more
Margaret
This was a different sort of cozy where we're not sure if there's even been a crime committed - high-brow literary professor Kate Fansler thinks there is and comes up with a scenario. I had read another book by this author (Death in a Tenured Position) with this character and I liked her much better in that - in this story she comes off a little snobby and stuck-up, much like the other main character, Max. Most of the story was not set in Maine unfortunately. This was okay, just didn't grab me m...more
Rohan Maitzen
Although lots of things were interesting in this book, including the engagement with questions about who 'owns' or tells the stories of women's lives and the links to my other reading of the 'Somerville novelists,' I had a harder time than usual tolerating the arch tone: the artifice and pretension, though an homage, I know, to the Peter Wimsey books, sounds like them at their worst rather than at their best.
Pamster
Why did I read this? I guess because it was a Virago edition and Virago's cool, I rarely read mysteries and thought I'd try it, and the back of the book mentioned that the clues to the mystery were buried "in the lives of leading women novelists and feminists." I dunno.
Kestrell
A really delightful book, my favorite so far in this series (which I am reading out of order). A definite must-read for the sort of bookish female who loves novels set in Oxford, although Kate only visits Oxford briefly in the novel.
Jz
Mar 27, 2009 Jz marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, own
5th in series. 1976
Liana Land
Liana Land is currently reading it
Apr 16, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Nash Mindug
Nash Mindug marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Sandra Sørensen
Sandra Sørensen marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Ginny
Ginny marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Averin
Averin added it
Dec 19, 2013
Kayla-Jhoe Schmitz
Kayla-Jhoe Schmitz marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
1968686
A psuedonym of Carolyn G. Heilbrun.

More about Amanda Cross...
In the Last Analysis (A Kate Fansler Mystery #1) Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3) Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6) The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2) The Theban Mysteries (A Kate Fansler Mystery #4)