Start by marking “No Word from Winifred (A Kate Fansler Mystery #8)” as Want to Read:
No Word from Winifred (A Kate Fansler Mystery #8)

No Word from Winifred (A Kate Fansler Mystery #8)

When Winifred, the niece of a renowned British novelist goes missing after she agreed to be interviewed for her esteemed aunt's biography, the biographer taps Kate Fansler to find her. Kate spots clues all right, but finding the person is a lot trickier than she thought....

From the Paperback edition.
Published January 3rd 1995 by Ballantine Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about No Word from Winifred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Word from Winifred

mirole
Mar 13, 2017 mirole rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot and would like to read other books in the series. I loved the writing style and humour.
Eleanor
May 22, 2014 Eleanor rated it liked it
I attended San Francisco Public Library's book sale the day before boarding a redeye to Puerto Rico. The book sale is a great event where paperbacks can be picked up for $1. The tables of books are not organized other than into general categories (fiction, mystery, biography, cooking, etc.), but there is a decent selection of recent popular material. After last year's sale, I went to visit my high school friend and her four children in Seattle armed with a suitcase full of kid's book.

This year,
Mary
Aug 09, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
I picked this book up at a used book store in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania looking for something to read on a day of travel. Instead, it became a great beach read a few weeks later. As with the other three mysteries I read this week, I'll forget the plots and "who done it," but it was great for this time and place.

Carolyn Heilbrun, who wrote as Amanda Cross, was a professor at Columbia. That makes her reflections on academia, friendships among women, and women's roles realistic and honest. This is no
Cassandra
Apr 08, 2014 Cassandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-mystery
I found this book very odd, mostly because I do not really understand all of the drama around women's friendships -- not viscerally, at any rate. Intellectually, I may put myself into the mindset, but it is a stretch. I also (view spoiler) ...more
Melanie
Feb 16, 2016 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2016
The writing of novels, like any other barely acceptable anomaly in one's own private life, was one's own affair.

As I forge ahead through the Kate Fansler series, it seems like author Amanda Cross and protagonist Kate Fansler are becoming more and more like Carolyn Heilbrun, as if Heilbrun's pseudonym and main character are catching up to her. More feminism, more frustration with academia, more thoughts on work and aging and how to live a useful life. I know it's silly, but the further away these
Jenny
Nov 06, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Lee
Jan 11, 2009 Lee rated it it was ok
I had a hard time getting into this book. The basic mystery was good but there were just a few too many improbably convoluted and unnecessary twists to it, I thought. I also found some of the characters difficult to like or believe were "real". Maybe I only thought it was okay because I wanted a more escapist formulaic mystery while on vacation. As usual, though, she does do a great job of capturing and subtly poking fun at aspects of academia.
Cathy
Mar 07, 2016 Cathy rated it liked it
I found this book on my bookshelf and decided to re-read it. I was a big fan of the Carolyn Heilbrun/Amanda Cross mystery books when I was younger so it was an interesting experience to reread this 30 years later. I still enjoyed the book but found it dated. The themes of womens friendships and careers in a male dominated culture made me realize how much has changed since the mid 1980s.
Virginia Walter
Dec 29, 2015 Virginia Walter rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Kate Fansler is persuaded to search for a missing woman, possibly the child of a noted British academic and novelist. It has been a long time since I read one of these, and I had forgotten the erudite, artificial manner in which these sophisticated, educated New Yorkers communicate with each other. Aside from that annoying element, this was a satisfying mystery.
Mary
Jan 16, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done
this is the second of the three best from Amanda Cross. I just finished re-reading them. I decided to do that because of a recent blog post I read which noticed the lack of good roles for aging actors and realized that there is a similar lack of aging characters in books. This book neatly marries themes of feminism, relationships, and aging to a mystery format
Noreen
Jun 28, 2007 Noreen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Shelves: fiction
This author is really Carolyn Heilbrun the feminist scholar. This book follows her female detective, Kate Fansler into solving a missing person’s case. Kate is really an academic who does detecting as a hobby so to speak. The structure follows the genre. The case is solved by the end.
Michele
Aug 24, 2016 Michele rated it really liked it
I had read most of her books a while ago but came across this one by chance the other day. I loved it as I did her others. It's such a treat after having read The Religion by Tim Willocks. Here no blood shed and no mass murders page after page....
Kestrell
Jul 26, 2012 Kestrell rated it really liked it
Probably my favorite book in this series so far: charming, witty, and thought-provoking, this would make a nice companion piece to Dorothy Sayers's _Gaudy Night_ and P. D. James's _An Usuitable Job for a Woman_.
Lily
Apr 05, 2011 Lily rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
Enjoyable little mystery story read as an accompaniment to Writing a Woman's Life
Marisa James
Mar 21, 2016 Marisa James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Gosh, this was fun. Friends had ben telling me for years that I'd love Amanda Cross (Carolyn Heilbrun's pen name), and they were right! The main characters are engaging, complex, interesting, quirky people who behave like humans, and the mystery is delicious and unexpected.
Elaine
Dec 26, 2015 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another reread from long ago; a more leisurely pace, and a different kind of mystery, with people who think of more than credit cards and oil changes and potty training.
Caroline
Jun 02, 2014 Caroline rated it liked it
I liked this one because no one actually died. I did think there were some clues she could’ve followed to solve though.
Lynn Jones
Apr 17, 2012 Lynn Jones rated it it was amazing
Amanda Cross (Carolyn Heilbrun) is briliant - as I am 56 I appreciate the feminist struggle this brilliant acerbic literary woman brings to her novels
Chris
Jan 25, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
I am old Amanda Cross fan. Re-reading them is wonderful.
JZ
Mar 27, 2009 JZ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, own
8th in series. 1986
Particle_Person
Feb 25, 2011 Particle_Person rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
This is probably my favorite Amanda Cross book, just because it ended so surprisingly. I grew to like Winifred through Kate.
Sarah Hackley
Aug 18, 2008 Sarah Hackley rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sarah by: My mama!
Strong female characters. Witty dialogue.
Nancy
Dec 20, 2013 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
okay
Rosanne
Rosanne rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2008
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Sheryl
Sheryl rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Meagan
Meagan rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2017
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2015
Leone Moffat
Leone Moffat rated it really liked it
May 25, 2014
Yvonna
Yvonna rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2014
  • The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2)
  • The Sirens Sang of Murder (Hilary Tamar, #3)
  • Poison in the Pen (Miss Silver, #29)
  • Wolf to the Slaughter (Inspector Wexford, #3)
  • Oxford Blood (Jemima Shore, #5)
  • A Country of Old Men (Dave Brandstetter, #12)
  • The Search for Maggie Ward
  • Mrs. Malory and the Festival Murders
  • Fruitful Bodies
  • Magic Hour
  • Sicken and So Die: A Charles Paris Mystery
  • A Killing Spring (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #5)
  • Cold Cold Heart
  • Sequence
1968686
A psuedonym of Carolyn G. Heilbrun.

More about Amanda Cross...

A Kate Fansler Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • In the Last Analysis (A Kate Fansler Mystery #1)
  • The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2)
  • Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3)
  • The Theban Mysteries (A Kate Fansler Mystery #4)
  • The Question of Max (A Kate Fansler Mystery #5)
  • Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6)
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • A Trap for Fools (A Kate Fansler Mystery #9)
  • The Players Come Again (A Kate Fansler Mystery #10)
  • An Imperfect Spy (A Kate Fansler Mystery #11)