Start by marking “No Word from Winifred (A Kate Fansler Mystery #8)” as Want to Read:
No Word from Winifred (A Kate Fansler Mystery #8)

No Word from Winifred (A Kate Fansler Mystery #8)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  17 reviews
When Winifred, the niece of a renowned British novelist goes missing after she agreed to be interviewed for her esteemed aunt's biography, the biographer taps Kate Fansler to find her. Kate spots clues all right, but finding the person is a lot trickier than she thought....

From the Paperback edition.
Published January 3rd 1995 by Ballantine Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about No Word from Winifred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Word from Winifred

Eleanor
I attended San Francisco Public Library's book sale the day before boarding a redeye to Puerto Rico. The book sale is a great event where paperbacks can be picked up for $1. The tables of books are not organized other than into general categories (fiction, mystery, biography, cooking, etc.), but there is a decent selection of recent popular material. After last year's sale, I went to visit my high school friend and her four children in Seattle armed with a suitcase full of kid's book.

This year,
Mary
I picked this book up at a used book store in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania looking for something to read on a day of travel. Instead, it became a great beach read a few weeks later. As with the other three mysteries I read this week, I'll forget the plots and "who done it," but it was great for this time and place.

Carolyn Heilbrun, who wrote as Amanda Cross, was a professor at Columbia. That makes her reflections on academia, friendships among women, and women's roles realistic and honest. This is no
Cassandra
I found this book very odd, mostly because I do not really understand all of the drama around women's friendships -- not viscerally, at any rate. Intellectually, I may put myself into the mindset, but it is a stretch. I also (view spoiler) ...more
Jenny
Caroline
I liked this one because no one actually died. I did think there were some clues she could’ve followed to solve though.
Lee
I had a hard time getting into this book. The basic mystery was good but there were just a few too many improbably convoluted and unnecessary twists to it, I thought. I also found some of the characters difficult to like or believe were "real". Maybe I only thought it was okay because I wanted a more escapist formulaic mystery while on vacation. As usual, though, she does do a great job of capturing and subtly poking fun at aspects of academia.
Mary
Jan 16, 2008 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: done
this is the second of the three best from Amanda Cross. I just finished re-reading them. I decided to do that because of a recent blog post I read which noticed the lack of good roles for aging actors and realized that there is a similar lack of aging characters in books. This book neatly marries themes of feminism, relationships, and aging to a mystery format
Noreen
Jun 28, 2007 Noreen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Shelves: fiction
This author is really Carolyn Heilbrun the feminist scholar. This book follows her female detective, Kate Fansler into solving a missing person’s case. Kate is really an academic who does detecting as a hobby so to speak. The structure follows the genre. The case is solved by the end.
Lily
Enjoyable little mystery story read as an accompaniment to Writing a Woman's Life
Kestrell
Probably my favorite book in this series so far: charming, witty, and thought-provoking, this would make a nice companion piece to Dorothy Sayers's _Gaudy Night_ and P. D. James's _An Usuitable Job for a Woman_.
Lynn Jones
Amanda Cross (Carolyn Heilbrun) is briliant - as I am 56 I appreciate the feminist struggle this brilliant acerbic literary woman brings to her novels
Particle_Person
This is probably my favorite Amanda Cross book, just because it ended so surprisingly. I grew to like Winifred through Kate.
Jill Holmes
Highly literate. I just wish it had been highly entertaining.
Chris
I am old Amanda Cross fan. Re-reading them is wonderful.
Sarah Hackley
Aug 25, 2008 Sarah Hackley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sarah by: My mama!
Strong female characters. Witty dialogue.
Jz
Mar 27, 2009 Jz marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, own
8th in series. 1986
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Ineke
Ineke added it
Nov 12, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Di
Di marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Wolf to the Slaughter (Inspector Wexford, #3)
  • Burying Ariel (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #7)
  • Poison in the Pen (Miss Silver, #29)
  • Adam and Evil (Amanda Pepper, #9)
  • The Shortest Way to Hades (Hilary Tamar, #2)
  • The Maltese Manuscript (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #5)
  • A Splash of Red (Jemima Shore, #3)
  • Verse of the Vampyre (Poetic Death Mystery, #2)
1968686
A psuedonym of Carolyn G. Heilbrun.

More about Amanda Cross...
In the Last Analysis (A Kate Fansler Mystery #1) Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3) Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6) The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2) The Theban Mysteries (A Kate Fansler Mystery #4)