Start by marking “The Intimate Marriage” as Want to Read:
The Intimate Marriage

The Intimate Marriage

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A commonsense guide to the skills of marriage that will lead the reader past potential problems and into joyous communion with his or her partner.
Published August 21st 1990 by Living Books (first published March 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Intimate Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Intimate Marriage

Mercedes Cordero
Sep 28, 2010 Mercedes Cordero rated it really liked it
Very good book with great biblical advice. What I loved most about this book is that R.C. Sproul shows his marriage for what it is. He doesn't present his wife as this overly submissive, silent partner (which is what many authors think a godly woman should behave like). Instead, she is a vivacious Christian woman who is not afraid to give her opinion, but not in a disrespectful way. And this is what I learned from it: as a wife I am to submit to my husband, who is the head of the house, but my i ...more
Apr 20, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
An easy read. He could have gone into a little more depth with various topics, but a solid general, Christian outline. I think non- or less conservative Christians might be offended in some parts, yet it's important to approach it with an open mind and heart, because what he says is not wrong. Also, keep in mind that it is being written from a male perspective. He does a good job of disclaiming that, but ultimately you can tell that it is written by a man who may lack some feminine sensitivities ...more
Evelyn Veldkamp
Feb 02, 2016 Evelyn Veldkamp rated it liked it
An easier marriage book that was good to have as a basis for our marriage Bible Study. But definitely think we could get more out of a different one. Still good to read, and good food for thought.
Kay
Feb 20, 2013 Kay rated it really liked it
take aways (quotes):

God provided a safe place in the institution of marriage....a place where you can be known without fear...a place to take off your clothes and be naked...a place of "intercourse" who is also a synonym for verbal communication.
If communication is carried out the proper way....it is pleasurable....if it fails...the result is 2 people go back into hiding.
Total intimacy embraces far more than the sexual aspect. One can have sex without intimacy but communication is not possible w
Brent McCulley
In this short handbook, Sproul does an excellent job at writing out a practical guide to the foundations of what a successful marriage in Christ looks like.

I really appreciate R.C's forthrightness and anecdotes that he provided throughout the book, that really brought out a true sense of practicality and honesty. I am very happy that I read this book, and had a few "ah-hah" moments as I learned some things that really hit home. I'll definitely be sharing some of the things I learned from this b
Kara Larson
Read with Jeremy.
Jun 03, 2009 Sarah is currently reading it
My husband to be, a mystery I must learn to read, language I must learn to decipher, had this on his bookshelf, along with The Little House books, a Lois Duncan, the complete history of Calvin, the Harry Potter chronicles, The Hobbit, gardening books, and many other biblical exegeses.

What better way to learn the language of him than to read his books? I read the Duncan book, have read and re-read the Little House books throughout my life, and now, here goes R.C. Sproul.
ChristaAnne
Aug 10, 2012 ChristaAnne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Short and concise. Certain chapters are more biblical view of marriage/divorce type chapters. Other chapters have a more personal feel to them. Especially enjoyed the chapter on communication and the chapter on the sanctity of marriage.
Jessica
Oct 05, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Good to read prior to marriage--but also good relationship builder. Gets you thinking about how you relate to your spouse and where you get those characteristics from. Strong biblical values also back up the sanctity of marriage.
Gail
Jun 27, 2011 Gail rated it it was amazing
A realistic view of how to live with that person you love, even though,you both have baggage and faults. RC gives Godly wisdom to those who want to succeed at marriage.
Jeremy
Overall, very good. However, a number of the examples are dated in odd ways (e.g., a husband being upset about his wife going out in public without lipstick?).
Christine
Good book. Has lots of examples that can be eye-opening. Pretty basic concepts but the examples really nail some of the points.
Amy
Jun 30, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
I love RC Sproul. This had some good stuff. Some dated stuff. And some other stuff.
Kara Larson
Read with Jeremy.
Jessica
Jul 03, 2012 Jessica rated it did not like it
This book was lame.
Allen Patterson
Allen Patterson marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Hannah Hankins
Hannah Hankins marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Sadie-Megin Daniels
Sadie-Megin Daniels marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Brooke High-gary
Brooke High-gary marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Carly Adams
Carly Adams marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Rebekah Grace
Rebekah Grace rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Christian
Christian marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Sean Hansen
Sean Hansen marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Sunny Shell
Sunny Shell rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Shyamakant
Shyamakant rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2016
Flint Madison
Flint Madison marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Kristopher
Kristopher marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
  • When You Rise Up: A Covenantal Approach to Homeschooling
  • Christian Living in the Home
  • The Fruit of Her Hands: Respect and the Christian Woman
  • Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace
  • Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God: What Every Christian Husband Needs to Know
  • Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
  • The Complete Husband: A Practical Guide to Biblical Husbanding
  • Communication: Key to Your Marriage: A Practical Guide to Creating a Happy Fulfilling Relationship
  • Tell the Truth: The Whole Gospel to the Whole Person by Whole People
  • Fool's Gold?: Discerning Truth in an Age of Error
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • When Sinners Say "I Do": Discovering the Power of the Gospel for Marriage
Dr. R.C. Sproul was born in 1939 in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. He is president of Ligonier Academy of Biblical and Theological Studies and the founder and chairman of the ministry that began in 1971 as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pennsylvania. In an effort to respond more effectively to the growing demand for Dr. Sproul’s teachings and the ministry’s other educational resources, th ...more
More about R.C. Sproul...