Start by marking “The Will of God as a Way of Life: How to Make Every Decision with Peace and Confidence” as Want to Read:

Practical help for understanding and following God’s will for your life

“God has a plan for our lives,” but what does that mean in practical terms? How do we know God’s will for important life decisions, like who to marry, what job to take, what church to join? How can we be free if God has a perfect plan for us? Does suffering mean we are off track? How exactly does God sp
Published September 23rd 2004 by Zondervan (first published May 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Will of God as a Way of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Will of God as a Way of Life

Elise
Apr 16, 2012 Elise rated it liked it
The main point of this book was a solid reminder:

"The will of God, then, consists of one clear mandate- that we make God the absolutely center of our lives." "If we seek first his kingdom, which is his revealed will for our lives, then whatever choices we make concerning the future become God's will for us."

Keeping that in mind WILL lead to more peaceful decision making I think. I was also challenged by his thought that the freedom to choose can actually become a burden, and that having too ma
Sam Nichols
Jul 04, 2016 Sam Nichols rated it really liked it
A plethora of knowledge and wisdom in this book, loved everything he had to say! Although, I wish the the delivery was a bit more dynamic...
Brook M.
May 10, 2015 Brook M. rated it really liked it
This was required reading for my cousin Katie's senior seminar class this year at Hope College. She enjoyed it, thought I would do the same (I have!), and gave me this copy. It’s yet another book I wish I would have read this while in college or soon thereafter.

The book is quite upfront with it’s central idea:“...the Bible says very little about the will of God as a future pathway. Instead the Bible warns us about anxiety and presumption concerning the future, assures us that God is in control,
Ashley Lamb
Jan 23, 2012 Ashley Lamb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Superb. Outstanding. I would recommend this book in a heartbeat, even if you think you've got your life all figured out. Almost every page had something that I wanted to highlight so that I could refer back to it later. In some areas, I just wanted to highlight the whole chapter. There will always be room on my shelf for this book.
Stephanie
May 23, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good read and thought-provoking. It totally changed my viewpoint on discerning God's will and although the title is somewhat cheesy, it's true: I do have more peace about making decisions. Bottom line: if you are seeking God earnestly, you can't go wrong. There is no one right way to do God's will.
Biographyguy
Dec 17, 2015 Biographyguy rated it liked it
There is much in this book that is meant for both beginning Christians and also to those who possess a more mature faith. I received this book as a birthday gift from my youngest brother, who told me he read it as a freshman in college as part of his required reading. It is a book that, much like CS Lewis' Mere Christianity, I hope is read by lots of beginning Christians, or at least young Christians as it offers a lot of great advice about making choices that follow God's plan for our lives.

So
Katie Castor
Jan 18, 2008 Katie Castor rated it it was amazing
It changed my life! It should be a must-read for every Christian!
Mikey
Sep 04, 2014 Mikey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Mikey by: Jerry Sittser
I went to a men's breakfast a few months ago and Jerry Sittser was the speaker and the message was basically the message of this book. I was intrigued and came home and bought the book. Overall The Will of God as a Way of Life contains practical ideas about what it means to follow the Will of God. Jerry Sittser has given a good overview of the way in which we *(Christians) often miss the Will of God because of a faulty notion of what the will of God is.(view spoiler) ...more
Derek Emerson
Jun 23, 2013 Derek Emerson rated it really liked it
Jerry Sittser has a remarkable gift for taking complex theology and applying it to everyday life. Many people are good at telling you how to live a Christian life, but their theology may be weak. Sittser is a theologian, and he supports his points with numerous scripture references. In his book, The Will of God as a Way of Life: How to Make Every Decision with Peace and Confidence, the only thing not to like is the title. The subtitle makes it sound like a self-help book. While you will walk awa ...more
Gregory J Wolfe
Dec 30, 2015 Gregory J Wolfe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read sooner rather than later

I wish I would have have read this book fifteen years ago. Easy read and a well constructed, practical way of viewing God's will for our life and the human race. Wish a few parts would have referenced biblical stories more often rather than other Christian authors, but I found everything added to creating a healthier view of God's will for His creation.

Jim
Nov 13, 2007 Jim rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting a deeper life
Gerry Sittser, one of my kids teachers at Whitworth, has given us a great gift in this book. He avoids the stereotypical idea of trying to unravel the will of God like a puzzle and challenges us to chose wisely while doing what God has for us to do. He deals with the tension between the sovereignty of God and human responsibility masterfully. He speaks from the pain of his own life in the death of his mother, wife and daughter in a single accident. In the decisions I make and the dreams and fear ...more
Daniele Barker
Apr 22, 2016 Daniele Barker rated it it was amazing
This book was the basis for a sermon series that I found during a time I was questioning my belief in God and circumstances that played out in my own life. Jerry Sittser is very familiar with things not going to plan. This was such an encouraging book and a great reminder of how it all becomes part of the Grand Design.
Jennifer Davis
May 16, 2016 Jennifer Davis rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fabulous book on seeking and finding God's will. God cares more about HOW you live than WHERE you live, and He can and will redeem your past, guide and direct your future. He is calling you to live today in faithfulness.
Jonathan Markham
Sep 22, 2014 Jonathan Markham rated it it was amazing
As one can expect from Sittser's writing it is clear, direct and thoroughly practical. His writing is born out of rich and painful experience and it shows on almost every page. In addition his approach is rooted in scripture rather than simply sage advice with a few verses thrown in to make it "Christian"
Ron Willoughby
Excellent, challenging, though-provoking read. So much of what Sittser writes challenges my preconceptions and convictions with regard to being in the Will of God, discovering the Will of God, doing the Will of God, etc. Think the great value of the book comes in challenging me to live in the present moment and not miss it by thinking too much about the next thing God wants of me.

Definitely worth a read in my opinion.
Judithbledsoe
Oct 18, 2013 Judithbledsoe rated it it was amazing
While this book is squarely in the Christian tradition, it's message can appeal to all. The basic is premise is that the ultimate trajectory of our lives is influenced much more by the daily decisions we make in the present moment than on the BIG decisions we agonize over and second-guess. Instead of trying to guess what an inscrutable God might want us to choose, we should focus on how we act right now.
Krista
Apr 14, 2011 Krista rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Though I read it a few years ago, there are a few things in it that have stuck with me. It was good for me to read about the decisions we make and how God blesses them. If you are struggling with a decision and trying to pick one life choice over another, I highly recommend this book.
Ruth
Feb 24, 2013 Ruth rated it liked it
Sittser provides basic starting point for Christians who wish to begin examining what is really meant by the phrase "the will of God." Although he breaks no new ground here, he does emphasize important truths concerning not necessarily what Christians do, but how and why they do what they do.
Ryan
Jan 24, 2013 Ryan rated it liked it
It wasn't as fantastic as I had hoped. Sittser relied on many "Mystics" both modern and ancient for quotes. Overall though the theology was accurate. I'd recommend reading Just do Something by Kevin DeYoung. It's a much better book on God's will.
Eric
Jul 27, 2016 Eric rated it it was amazing
A great reminder that following Jesus starts right where you are. Fulfilling His will is not in the distant future.
Jonathan B
May 17, 2010 Jonathan B rated it liked it
I strongly disagree with some of Sittser's basic position (God doesn't have a will or doesn't care what you do in certain instances (most?)), but his focus on seeing God's will as revealed in Scripture and doing *that* is spot on.
Rachel
Mar 12, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grad-school
While I don't agree with everything Sittser writes, or at least the way he writes it, I think this book is an excellent source for those struggling with discerning the will of God.
Jo Ann
Apr 07, 2013 Jo Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
A great read with many great references and holistic approach to what the will of God means. Felt a little long and repetitive by the end.
Emily
Mar 01, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
This was very helpful in helping me gain some clarity on what it means to follow God's will. Very readable, personable and reasonable.
Simona
Jun 25, 2014 Simona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
revealing, thoughtful, deep, a journey to discover yourself
Amy
Sep 08, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
this was formally known as "discovering God's will"
Carolyn
Oct 14, 2008 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
LOVED it!
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Naveen Prasath
Naveen Prasath rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
Viorelia Bere
Viorelia Bere marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
  • What Is He Thinking??: What Guys Want Us to Know About Dating, Love, and Marriage
  • Then Sings My Soul
  • Water from a Deep Well: Christian Spirituality from Early Martyrs to Modern Missionaries
  • God Speaks Your Love Language: How to Feel and Reflect God's Love
  • Night of the Living Dead Christian: One Man's Ferociously Funny Quest to Discover What It Means to Be Truly Transformed
  • Transforming Children Into Spiritual Champions: Why Children Should Be Your Church's #1 Priority
  • The Secret Gospel of Ireland: The Untold Story of How Science and Democracy Descended from a Remarkable Form of Christianity That Developed in Ancient Ireland
  • God's Missionary
  • The One Year Bible
  • Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye?: Trusting God with a Hope Deferred
  • Finding the Will of God: A Pagan Notion?
  • Funding Your Ministry
  • Alive: A Cold-Case Approach To The Resurrection
  • Safe in the Arms of God: Truth from Heaven About the Death of a Child
  • Be Committed (Ruth & Esther): Doing God's Will Whatever the Cost (The BE Series Commentary)
  • Practice Resurrection: A Conversation on Growing Up in Christ (Spiritual Theology #5)
  • A Beautiful Offering: Returning God's Love with Your Life