Start by marking “The Will of God” as Want to Read:
The Will of God

The Will of God

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This is a reprint of five sermons delivered by Leslie D. Weatherhead to his congregation in 1944 on the question of the will of God.
Published August 1st 1987 by Abingdon Press (first published January 1st 1944)

To ask other readers questions about The Will of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Will of God

Norman Hutchinson
Jun 05, 2009 Norman Hutchinson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Christian who has questions about what God "wills" for people.
Having read this book four times and used it in an Adult Sunday School class about three times I can recommend it to anyone who questions outcomes in life that seem to be outside the will of God. Weatherhead clearly explains the three wills of God that he calls God's Intentional Will, God's Circumstantial Will, and God's Ultimate Will. His explinations and examples are clear and to the point. They will bring you to that Ah-ha moment of insight.
pcb
Oct 05, 2009 pcb rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Now that I have read this book, I will never look at events in the same way. It was life-changing.
Shelley Huber
If you wonder where God is in the midst of your pain, joy, ambivalence...read this book!
Adam Parker
This book was chosen intentionally at this moment in time where my wife and I are making serious decisions and changes in our collective future, in hopes that they are the will of the Father. This book laid out a pretty good and informative description of what God's will is and ways in which we can discern it. His major point is the separation of the will of God into three distinct categories; Intentional Will of God, Circumstantial Will of God, Ultimate Will of God. His main issue is that peop ...more
Jim Ament
The Will of God, by Leslie D. Weatherhead (1893-1976), was written in 1944 and at only fifty-six pages long (my old publication), it remains a classic in helping to get one's thinking right about this subject. The book is actually a series of five sermons given at a very difficult time in England, "relevant to these days of loss and sorrow," yet also relevant to our current time of war and despicable world events.

Weatherhead says the phrase is used too loosely; often, after some horrible tragedy
Machel
My church pastor led a study on this book. He said it was "the secondmost influential book he had EVER READ!" Written during WWII by a minister trying to help his congregation and himself, it was extremely interesting and had a workbook section that was quite helpful in leading oneself to probe the ideas in the book. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this to anyone wanting a richer spiritual life!
Diane
May 01, 2014 Diane rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Diane by: pastor
This is my favorite book of all time, and that says a lot because I read, on average, two to three books a week. I read this book every few months, as it only takes about an hour. I have bought multiple copies for people that are grieving and can't understand why things happen, or are losing hope. It is my daily reminder that although Satan can win battles, God will win the war.
Chad Mcswain
One of the most frequent questions I have and get asked is, how do you know the will of God? "The Will of God" by Leslie D. Weatherhead is a practical book on the subject. The book has the pastoral touch as it collects five sermons delivered in London, England during World War II. With illustrations relating to any time period, the book is accessible to those that would like clarity on the day-to-day walk with God. Less than 100 pages, the book highlights the "intentional, circumstantial, and ul ...more
Vance
Excellent exposition on an off misused phrase. Focused discussion with some dated language but important concepts
John
I found Weatherhead's presentation of ideas informative and enlightening but his "categories" were not all that helpful. It never felt tidy enough to simply fall into "intentional," "circumstantial," or "ultimate." His discussion of circumstantial will was especially problematic.

The examples and illustrations that Weatherhead uses are also becoming increasingly outdated and not very relatable to a more modern audience. WW2 references to the Blitz are very difficult for today's reader to connect
Josh
This is a wonderful quick short book on The Will of God. The only contention I have is that I disagree with Weatherhead's assertion that it is the innate nature for women to want to have children. But understanding he is originally writing this Pre-1950s, technically the 40s than I can see were he does so. Outside of that this is as I have said a wonderful quick, short, and provocative book. I believe I have had to read this twice, each time for a class for my Undergraduate degree.
Linda
This book helps to understand what most people question their entire lives. Once we understand that all things are not God's Intentional Will, we can understand that He ultimately prevails through the choices that man makes along the way. A brilliant explanation and very insightful.
John
Rated: C-

Purposes 3 wills of God: Intentional, Circumstantial, Ultimate & uses as basis Christ death as God's will for people to follow Christ, will for him to die as good out of evil, will of redemption. Weak premise.
Glenn
Weatherhead confronts, and I believe, refutes the idea that human tragedies like the death of a child are "God's will. Successfully argues against the idea of God as a cosmic villain. Very readable.
Gundopush
Not a bad introduction to protestant Christian theodicy and issues surrounding the nature of evil.
Dennis
Very interesting and thought provoking book.
Jan
a philosophy similar to my own.
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Ryan
Ryan added it
Aug 17, 2015
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Vasile Tatu
Vasile Tatu marked it as to-read
Micheal Babatunde
Micheal Babatunde marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
  • If Grace Is True: Why God Will Save Every Person (Grace Series, #1)
  • Way of the Wolf
  • Jesus' Plan for a New World: The Sermon on the Mount
  • Original Blessing
  • The Scandalous Gospel of Jesus: What's So Good about the Good News?
  • The Hungering Dark
  • Saving Jesus from the Church: How to Stop Worshiping Christ and Start Following Jesus
  • Advent Conspiracy: Can Christmas Still Change the World?
  • Everyday Apocalypse: The Sacred Revealed in Radiohead, The Simpsons, and Other Pop Culture Icons
  • Awed to Heaven, Rooted in Earth
  • Here I Stand: My Struggle for a Christianity of Integrity, Love, and Equality
  • The Dark Night of the Soul: A Psychiatrist Explores the Connection Between Darkness and Spiritual Growth
  • Why?: Making Sense Of God's Will
  • Practicing Our Faith: A Way of Life for a Searching People
  • The Secret Teachings of Jesus: Four Gnostic Gospels
  • Situation Ethics: A New Morality: The New Morality (Library of Theological Ethics)
  • Fire in the Mind: Science, Faith, and the Search for Order
  • The Da Vinci Deception
Leslie Dixon Weatherhead was an English Christian theologian in the liberal Protestant tradition. Renowned as one of Britain's finest preachers in his day, Weatherhead achieved notoriety for his preaching ministry at City Temple in London and for his books, including The Will of God, The Christian Agnostic and Psychology, Religion, and Healing.

More about Leslie D. Weatherhead...
Christian Agnostic The Transforming Friendship: A Book About Jesus And Ourselves (Abingdon Classics) Is There More? A Private House of Prayer (Jennifer Rees Larcombe Recommends) Prescription For Anxiety