Start by marking “The Will of God” as Want to Read:
The Will of God

The Will of God

This is a reprint of five sermons delivered by Leslie D. Weatherhead to his congregation in 1944 on the question of the will of God.
Published August 1st 1987 by Abingdon Press (first published January 1st 1944)

Norman Hutchinson
Jun 05, 2009 Norman Hutchinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Christian who has questions about what God "wills" for people.
Having read this book four times and used it in an Adult Sunday School class about three times I can recommend it to anyone who questions outcomes in life that seem to be outside the will of God. Weatherhead clearly explains the three wills of God that he calls God's Intentional Will, God's Circumstantial Will, and God's Ultimate Will. His explinations and examples are clear and to the point. They will bring you to that Ah-ha moment of insight.
Shelley Huber
Jan 05, 2010 Shelley Huber rated it it was amazing
If you wonder where God is in the midst of your pain, joy, ambivalence...read this book!
pcb
Oct 05, 2009 pcb rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Now that I have read this book, I will never look at events in the same way. It was life-changing.
Lana
Apr 19, 2016 Lana rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and thought-provoking book on the will of God. The author divides the will of God into three categories: intentional (only wishing good, like the love of a parent for a child), circumstantial (taking into account that something bad has happened because of sin or people's actions and what God wants you to do about it), and ultimate will (that is God using the bad events that were not in his intentional will for his ultimate purpose). So if a small child dies or some terrible inju ...more
Adam Parker
This book was chosen intentionally at this moment in time where my wife and I are making serious decisions and changes in our collective future, in hopes that they are the will of the Father. This book laid out a pretty good and informative description of what God's will is and ways in which we can discern it. His major point is the separation of the will of God into three distinct categories; Intentional Will of God, Circumstantial Will of God, Ultimate Will of God. His main issue is that peop ...more
Chad Mcswain
Jan 17, 2012 Chad Mcswain rated it liked it
One of the most frequent questions I have and get asked is, how do you know the will of God? "The Will of God" by Leslie D. Weatherhead is a practical book on the subject. The book has the pastoral touch as it collects five sermons delivered in London, England during World War II. With illustrations relating to any time period, the book is accessible to those that would like clarity on the day-to-day walk with God. Less than 100 pages, the book highlights the "intentional, circumstantial, and ul ...more
Jim Ament
Mar 15, 2012 Jim Ament rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
The Will of God, by Leslie D. Weatherhead (1893-1976), was written in 1944 and at only fifty-six pages long (my old publication), it remains a classic in helping to get one's thinking right about this subject. The book is actually a series of five sermons given at a very difficult time in England, "relevant to these days of loss and sorrow," yet also relevant to our current time of war and despicable world events.

Weatherhead says the phrase is used too loosely; often, after some horrible tragedy
Courtney
Dec 02, 2016 Courtney rated it it was amazing
Content consists of 5 sermons preached by Leslie Weatherhead in London during heavy German bombing in 1940. Question he addressed was how could God let this destruction/death happen; how could the reality of the time fit with the will of a loving God? As I read the sermons my understanding is that Weatherhead basically believes the term "will of God" is too general. He breaks the term into 3 sections: intentional will, circumstantial will, and ultimate will of God. I find this most helpful when ...more
John
Nov 09, 2011 John rated it liked it
I found Weatherhead's presentation of ideas informative and enlightening but his "categories" were not all that helpful. It never felt tidy enough to simply fall into "intentional," "circumstantial," or "ultimate." His discussion of circumstantial will was especially problematic.

The examples and illustrations that Weatherhead uses are also becoming increasingly outdated and not very relatable to a more modern audience. WW2 references to the Blitz are very difficult for today's reader to connect
Keith
Nov 08, 2016 Keith rated it liked it
Weatherhead's writing is dated but his explanation of God's will and his division of it into 3 categories is a great revelation. He views God's will as one of the following:
1. Intentional - by God's direct intentions
2. Circumstantial - man has intervened but God's will prevails
3. Ultimate - This is what God had planned all along. Remember that we cannot pretend to know His will.

The book is ultimately clear, concise and well written but belabors its points a little too far toward the obvious.
Josh
Aug 17, 2014 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful quick short book on The Will of God. The only contention I have is that I disagree with Weatherhead's assertion that it is the innate nature for women to want to have children. But understanding he is originally writing this Pre-1950s, technically the 40s than I can see were he does so. Outside of that this is as I have said a wonderful quick, short, and provocative book. I believe I have had to read this twice, each time for a class for my Undergraduate degree.
Diane
May 01, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Diane by: pastor
This is my favorite book of all time, and that says a lot because I read, on average, two to three books a week. I read this book every few months, as it only takes about an hour. I have bought multiple copies for people that are grieving and can't understand why things happen, or are losing hope. It is my daily reminder that although Satan can win battles, God will win the war.
Machel
Apr 29, 2014 Machel rated it it was amazing
My church pastor led a study on this book. He said it was "the secondmost influential book he had EVER READ!" Written during WWII by a minister trying to help his congregation and himself, it was extremely interesting and had a workbook section that was quite helpful in leading oneself to probe the ideas in the book. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this to anyone wanting a richer spiritual life!
Linda
Apr 23, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
This book helps to understand what most people question their entire lives. Once we understand that all things are not God's Intentional Will, we can understand that He ultimately prevails through the choices that man makes along the way. A brilliant explanation and very insightful.
Dennis Ticen
Jun 20, 2016 Dennis Ticen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent little book on a big subject. Had heard of this long ago and only read it now after several recommendations. Wish I had read it sooner! Thus should be in everyone's library and read in a regular rotation.
John
Dec 15, 2007 John rated it liked it
Rated: C-

Purposes 3 wills of God: Intentional, Circumstantial, Ultimate & uses as basis Christ death as God's will for people to follow Christ, will for him to die as good out of evil, will of redemption. Weak premise.
Glenn
Apr 21, 2009 Glenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weatherhead confronts, and I believe, refutes the idea that human tragedies like the death of a child are "God's will. Successfully argues against the idea of God as a cosmic villain. Very readable.
Jan
Jan 05, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it
a philosophy similar to my own.
Gundopush
Oct 28, 2013 Gundopush rated it liked it
Not a bad introduction to protestant Christian theodicy and issues surrounding the nature of evil.
Vance
Jul 18, 2014 Vance rated it really liked it
Excellent exposition on an off misused phrase. Focused discussion with some dated language but important concepts
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2016
Casi Willis
Casi Willis rated it it was ok
Jul 02, 2015
Pam
Pam rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2012
Mike Elliott
Mike Elliott rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2014
Glenda Potts
Glenda Potts rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2014
Mary Lee
Mary Lee rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2015
krazikrys
krazikrys rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Darcy Knight
Darcy Knight rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2014
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2014
Becky Rivers
Becky Rivers rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2012
  • If Grace Is True: Why God Will Save Every Person (Grace Series, #1)
  • Way of the Wolf
  • Jesus' Plan for a New World: The Sermon on the Mount
  • The Hungering Dark
  • Original Blessing
  • The Scandalous Gospel of Jesus: What's So Good About the Good News?
  • The Da Vinci Hoax: Exposing the Errors in the Da Vinci Code
  • The Creed: What Christians Believe and Why it Matters
  • Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals
  • Saving Jesus from the Church: How to Stop Worshiping Christ and Start Following Jesus
  • Awed to Heaven, Rooted in Earth
  • Here I Stand: My Struggle for a Christianity of Integrity, Love, and Equality
  • Shaped by the Word: The Power of Scripture in Spiritual Formation
  • Situation Ethics: A New Morality: The New Morality (Library of Theological Ethics)
  • Henri Nouwen: Wounded Healer (Spirituality)
  • Why?: Making Sense Of God's Will
  • Advent Conspiracy: Can Christmas Still Change the World?
  • Friendship at the Margins: Discovering Mutuality in Service and Mission
Leslie Dixon Weatherhead was an English Christian theologian in the liberal Protestant tradition. Renowned as one of Britain's finest preachers in his day, Weatherhead achieved notoriety for his preaching ministry at City Temple in London and for his books, including The Will of God, The Christian Agnostic and Psychology, Religion, and Healing.

More about Leslie D. Weatherhead...