Start by marking “A Jonathan Edwards Reader” as Want to Read:
A Jonathan Edwards Reader

A Jonathan Edwards Reader

Prepared by editors of the series The Works of Jonathan Edwards, this anthology includes selected treatises, sermons and autobiographical material by Jonathan Edwards, early America's great theologian and philosopher.
Published March 11th 2003 by Yale University Press (first published May 24th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Jonathan Edwards Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Jonathan Edwards Reader

Julianne
Sep 03, 2010 Julianne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A Conversation Between Me and My Cousin Mike, at the Cottage, Several Weekends Ago:

Mike: The Jonathan Edwards Reader?

Me: Oh yeah. That’s mine. I’m reading it.

Mike: That’s not the Jonathan Edwards I’m thinking of, right?

Me: No, no. Not the “I see dead people” guy. No. This guy was born in, like, 1703.

Mike: Oh. I was actually thinking of…that guy that cheated on his wife…the politician.

Me: !

(What might be more interesting than the review I’m about to write is the coffee klatch I’m writing in my he
David
Jun 11, 2011 David rated it it was ok
Read as part of an independent study with Jonathan McCune Edwards, 6th great grandson of the author.
Briana
Neither huge nor imposing...they say that Locke, Hobbes, and Montesquieu are the Big Three...

But just wait, somehow I'll get even more lost in Edwards' Spider than in Hobbes' Leviathan.

*EDIT*

Well, I liked the Spider Letter, although I don't *really* get what makes Edwards so happy about spiders drowning in the sea...you'd think there'd be a lot of other examples in creation to write about...

My goodness, Edwards is a brave fellow...jumping right into the Calvinism v. Arminianism battle...I just w
Anittah
Nov 22, 2011 Anittah rated it it was ok
My cleaning lady moved this from its pile yesterday and my bookmark fell out. So I guess I am done reading it now.

Here's a typical curmudgeonly JE quotation. One of his goals was:

"to be very moderate in the use of terms of art. Let it not look as if I was much read, or was conversant with books, or with the learned world..."

Tryin' to keep it real, eh, Edwards?
Ali Mcqueen
Mar 08, 2016 Ali Mcqueen rated it it was ok
I gave up. I might try an audio book of his sermons but they were just so dense.
Tyler Hurst
Mar 27, 2016 Tyler Hurst rated it really liked it
There is not a lot that could be said about this assortment of Edwards' writings except that they came from the pen of Jonathan Edwards, and in many ways that is all that need be said.
Brad
Dec 06, 2008 Brad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the book presents a number of interesting essays on Jonathan Edwards (one of America's most important religious figures) I found the book a little lacking...and BORING!
Luke
Aug 01, 2016 Luke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great selection including the good (Nature of True Virtue), the bad (Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God), and the ugly (Receipt for a Slave, Venus)
Alex
Feb 01, 2008 Alex rated it liked it
I don't care how unrepresentative it was of his thought - "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" is the crown jewel in this collection.
Jacob Aitken
Okay overview. Interesting, but suffers the same problems as any text that only gives you snippets of an author's thought.
John
Apr 10, 2008 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can see a lot of contemporary America in this 18th century pastor. Except rap.
Lucinda
Nov 27, 2007 Lucinda rated it it was amazing
Jonathan Edwards was badass.
Olivia treloar
Olivia treloar rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Christiana
Christiana rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Brett Stuvland
Brett Stuvland rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Megan Soper
Megan Soper rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Alani
Alani marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Travis Jamieson
Travis Jamieson rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Abby
Abby rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Julia Walsh
Julia Walsh marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Rachel Rohm
Rachel Rohm rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Preston
Preston marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Carol
Carol is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2016
James
James rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
  • John Wesley
  • Revival and Revivalism
  • Jonathan Edwards
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • A History of Christian Thought Volume III: From the Protestant Reformation to the Twentieth Century
  • Works of John Bunyan
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • The Holy Spirit
  • A Kierkegaard Anthology
  • The Major Works (World's Classics)
  • The Complete Works
  • 20th-Century Theology: God and the World in a Transitional Age
  • Thomas Cranmer
  • Meet the Puritans: With a Guide to Modern Reprints
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Jonathan Edwards.

Jonathan Edwards was the most eminent American philosopher-theologian of his time, and a key figure in what has come to be called the First Great Awakening of the 1730s and 1740s.

The only son in a family of eleven children, he entered Yale in September, 1716 when he was not yet thirteen and graduated fou
More about Jonathan Edwards...