Start by marking “The Transplanted Gardener” as Want to Read:
The Transplanted Gardener

The Transplanted Gardener

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  3 reviews
An American observes the madness and wonder of English gardening.
Published September 1st 1995 by The Lyons Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Transplanted Gardener, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Transplanted Gardener

^
My acquisition of this this book (second-hand, of course) was largely influenced by the recommendations published on the back cover: “One of the most delightful books of any kind I have read all year” (Bill Bryson) and, “…a lively pen and detached, quizzical and revealing eye … I enjoyed every word.”

Therein lay my error. All too soon I discovered that the transplant bears no comparison to the wonderful “The 3,000 Mile Garden” by Leslie Land and Roger Phillips.

Indeed, by the time I had slogged th
Camilla
I loved this book. I bought my copy for $1 at the Denmark public library book sale, on the strength of the cover blurb from Bill Bryson: "One of the most delightful books of any kind I have read all year". I like Bill Bryson a lot, so I figured I was onto a winner. Also, I like gardening myself, so am always happy to hear about other people's garden stories.

The book is a collection of essays, arranged under three sections: Fresh Ground (about the author's own garden), Gardeners and Other Obsess
Sandy D.
Non-ficture collection of essays orginally published in Horticulture magazine. They're great if you like reading about gardening and history and the differences between the US and Great Britain.

Let's see, some of the highlights include an examination of the ways to combat moles (stink bombs are popular in the UK), formal vs. 'natural' garden plans, garden theft, and how to figure out the age of a hedge.
Mike
Mike added it
Aug 21, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2013
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013
Amena
Amena marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2012
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2010
Renee
Renee added it
Jan 10, 2009
Princesse of Versaille The Potting-Shed Papers: On Gardens, Gardeners, and Garden History The Greatest Cat Stories Ever Told The Quotable Cat Lover The Gap in the Hedge: Dispatches from the Extraordinary World of British Gardening