Start by marking “The Transplanted Gardener” as Want to Read:
The Transplanted Gardener

The Transplanted Gardener

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  17 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
An American observes the madness and wonder of English gardening.
Published September 1st 1995 by The Lyons Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Transplanted Gardener, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Transplanted Gardener

I am on page 29 of 238. This is one the most delightful, light-hearted, yet insightful and informative reads I have come across. Charles Elliott portrays the perfect personality to be the observer and participator, outsider as well as insider to world of British gardening and culture.

Expecting something entirely different when picking this book up from the shelf of the Gardening section at my local Bargain Books I read the inside front leaf of the dust cover and decided it is a must-buy.

Bill Bry
^
Jul 19, 2015 ^ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People I dislike
My acquisition of this this book (second-hand, of course) was largely influenced by the recommendations published on the back cover: “One of the most delightful books of any kind I have read all year” (Bill Bryson) and, “…a lively pen and detached, quizzical and revealing eye … I enjoyed every word.”

Therein lay my error. All too soon I discovered that the transplant bears no comparison to the wonderful “The 3,000 Mile Garden” by Leslie Land and Roger Phillips.

Indeed, by the time I had slogged th
Camilla
Feb 04, 2012 Camilla rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I bought my copy for $1 at the Denmark public library book sale, on the strength of the cover blurb from Bill Bryson: "One of the most delightful books of any kind I have read all year". I like Bill Bryson a lot, so I figured I was onto a winner. Also, I like gardening myself, so am always happy to hear about other people's garden stories.

The book is a collection of essays, arranged under three sections: Fresh Ground (about the author's own garden), Gardeners and Other Obsess
Kate
"From the question of why England is so wet -- or, in the view of a dripping American, seems to be -- to an account of the great Charles Darwin's favorite obsession (it was earthworms), The Transplanted Gardener contains a sparkling set of essays exploring the history, practice, and eccentricities of gardening in 'the world's greatest potting shed.' England."
~~back cover

Much to my surprise, I find that I didn't know much about English gardens and English gardening history. I know more now that I
Sandy D.
Non-ficture collection of essays orginally published in Horticulture magazine. They're great if you like reading about gardening and history and the differences between the US and Great Britain.

Let's see, some of the highlights include an examination of the ways to combat moles (stink bombs are popular in the UK), formal vs. 'natural' garden plans, garden theft, and how to figure out the age of a hedge.
David Smith
David Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Tracy G
Tracy G rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Nick O'doherty
Nick O'doherty rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Jake
Jake rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2015
Mike
Mike added it
Aug 21, 2014
Ellen Helmke
Ellen Helmke rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2013
Louise
Louise rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2013
Carol D
Carol D rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2013
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2013
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013
Amena
Amena marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2012
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
May 16, 2011
Cliona
Cliona rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2011
Ruanne
Ruanne rated it really liked it
May 12, 2010
Krraken
Krraken rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2010