Start by marking “The Ghost of Opalina ” as Want to Read:
The Ghost of Opalina

The Ghost of Opalina

4.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  110 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A ghost cat tells three children, the latest inhabitants of an old house, all about the people who passed through and the events which took place in the house during her previous eight lives.
Published 1967 by Little Brown & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost of Opalina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost of Opalina

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnimal Farm by George OrwellWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne
Best Talking-Animal Books
116th out of 524 books — 593 voters
Thursday's Child by Noel StreatfeildMarianne Dreams by Catherine StorrA Stitch In Time by Penelope LivelyMidnight Is a Place by Joan AikenWhen Marnie Was There by Joan G. Robinson
Obscure Children's Vintage Gems
210th out of 332 books — 74 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy
Mar 26, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cat-books
I read this as a child and loved it...I'd love to get a copy but they are few and far between. A nice story of a cat ghost who tells the history of the people who lived inthe house before the current owners.
Great drawings.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. I read it many times starting when I was in 7th grade. Years later, as a librarian, I got it via interloan and re-read it, and sadly, didn't find it quite as enchanting as I had before. Ah well, I'd still like to own a copy...
David Guerreri
Mar 16, 2008 David Guerreri rated it it was amazing
read this 3rd grade twice, again 4th and 5th also, then found a copy took years and reread in 2008. Great kids book, great book, lost of us family-level history, what what home was life w family after family overseen by a ghost cat in her secret panelled room near the attic.
Robin Hendershot
Jan 27, 2015 Robin Hendershot rated it it was amazing
I read this book in grade school (5th grade, I think). It was the first chapter book I read, and I loved it. As an adult, I wanted to purchase a copy to read to my grandkids someday but was dismayed to learn it was out of print and extremely expensive. I had given up all hope of reading it again and was cursing the fact when my husband popped in the room and offered to pay the bills I normally paid so I could purchase a copy. $352 later, I had my own copy! I have the best husband EVER! By the wa ...more
Missjennjenn Hebb
Mar 31, 2013 Missjennjenn Hebb rated it it was amazing
Out of print and impossible to find. It's my fav story from growing up.
Corey Godfrey
Aug 23, 2015 Corey Godfrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally read this book in elementary school where I fell in love with it and read it numerous times. Over the years I've thought about it and wanted to read it again or get a copy. Alas if you search online it is a rare thing and is ver Y expensive. Technology wins though and it was available for my Kindle. It was like revisiting an old friend and while it wasn't as enchanting as it was thirty plus years ago it was still quite good.
Kira
Jan 26, 2013 Kira rated it really liked it
(Note: my rating is heavily influenced by nostalgia)

I'm on a "re-reading books I read and loved as a kid" kick. I first read this book in elementary school and promptly fell in love with it because it was about a cat (albeit a dead one) but upon revisiting it as an adult I think it's still worth reading.

When their family moves into an old house in the country, three children encounter Opalina, a spectral cat who haunts the room where she was killed. Since she has been haunting the house for 200
Greg
Sep 16, 2008 Greg rated it it was amazing
Extremely difficult to find these days, as it has been sadly out of print for many years. I hope that some publishing house somewhere has the good sense to reissue it, because it is a lovely story of a ghost cat, and a group of children who discover that it lives in their playroom. The cat tells stories of the history of the house, a history of over 200 years, generation by generation.

And every story is utterly captivating and charming.

This, along with the C.S. Lewis "Narnia" books, are the be
Lori
Mar 07, 2011 Lori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fiction
Read this back in grade school and I still remember it so well. Just like comments I've read, I've been unable to find a copy of it under $200. Told my husband if he wants to win me over forever, find this book for however much it costs for an anniversary, birthday, or Christmas present instead of anything else.

1/11-reading again since being a little girl. Hubby found a copy for under $200 & gave it to me for Xmas. Yeah
Linnea Hendrickson
May 20, 2009 Linnea Hendrickson rated it liked it
I weeded this book from my library, but couldn't bear to throw it out. I'm not sure where it is, but I now see that copies are selling for over $200. Yikes. I thought I had seen that someone was reprinting this?
Does anyone know? Here's hoping I can find my copy. Later: I found it. It has a fairly worn library binding.
Kate
Aug 09, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it
I must have read this book a million times when I was in middle school. I have yet to be able to find it anyplace else! Apparently it's out of print. I just remember really liking the idea of each of the nine lives, as narrated by the cat. This was during my ghost story phase, so that's probably another reason I liked it.
Janine
Apr 06, 2007 Janine rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidsbooks
I read this book 11 times as a child. In a summer where I read over a 100 books. I read this one 11 times. Turns out it had a very small run and the author was actually a famous artist/illustrator. You can't find copies of it for less than $300 nowadays. I hope the library in Geneva still has their edition.
Alexandra
Nov 14, 2015 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
I would pay BIG money to own this book.

UPDATE: I finally own this book! It now sits on a shrine lol. I absolutely love, LOVE Opalina. She has been part of my life since the tender age of 7 :)
Vikkidawn
Sep 28, 2011 Vikkidawn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Finally found a record of this book. I read this somewhere between 4-6th grade. It was in the school library. Don't remember a lot about it but I would love to re-read it.
CLM
Jun 25, 2014 CLM rated it really liked it
I remember liking this. The author seems to have illustrated a book that is revered by sister's in-laws, Mt. Allegro.
Liz Lindsay
Feb 11, 2011 Liz Lindsay rated it really liked it
OMG, another fave from childhood. I love Google! another book that I would love to get my hands on.
Wrenaria
Jan 02, 2013 Wrenaria rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books from my childhood. Still hoping it will someday be reprinted.
Lady
Jan 15, 2010 Lady rated it liked it
I read this book over and over again in Jr. High and loved it.
Deborah Mills
Sep 24, 2012 Deborah Mills marked it as to-read
To RE-read...someday...when it is re-issued (knock on wood).
Elizabeth
Oct 06, 2007 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids
One of two of my favorite children's books.
Silver Prion Chemistry  the Martian Blob
Jan 20, 2012 Silver Prion Chemistry the Martian Blob rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
This is really an awesome story!
Catherine
Jan 28, 2008 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Why is this book still out of print???
Donna
Oct 11, 2012 Donna added it
Favorite childhood book
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Karasevdah
Karasevdah marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Gabriele
Gabriele marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
James Carey
James Carey marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Does anyone know how to find a copy that doesn't cost over $200???? 7 109 Dec 14, 2011 09:26PM
  • Trixie Belden Boxed Set #1-#3
  • Mrs. McTats and Her Houseful of Cats
  • Tilly's Moonlight Garden
  • Tales of the North
  • Time at the Top
  • The Swing in the Summerhouse (Hall Family Chronicles, #2)
  • Charlie Anderson