American Patriot: The Life and Wars of Colonel Bud Day

American Patriot: The Life and Wars of Colonel Bud Day

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  27 reviews
During the course of his military career, Bud Day won every available combat medal, escaped death on no less than seven occasions, and spent 67 months as a POW in the infamous Hanoi Hilton, along with John McCain. Despite sustained torture, Day would not break. He became a hero to POWs everywhere--a man who fought without pause, not a prisoner of war, but a prisoner at war...more
Published May 3rd 2007 by Little, Brown and Company

Tyler
Kash
I wish I could meet Col. Bud Day and thank him personally for what he has done. The book reads a narrative of his life from childhood in Sioux City to this day in Florida. I am very impressed. Col. Day's life is an example every man and woman should and could follow. A man of righteous convictions, morally and spiritually strong and right and above all, he has been in the service of his country for more than 6 decades. He volunteered to fight in WW II as a Marine, then as an Army reservists in y...more
Rick
Sometimes a reader is not really sure where a book stands – you won’t have that problem with this book. Robert Coram’s American Patriot is the life story of Air Force Medal of Honor recipient George “Bud” Day. The book understandably is hawkish, making everything about war and warriors noble and righteous. When the book stays on topic – the life of Bud Day – it is a wonderful portrait of a man and his lifetime of service to his country. We also get to see many of the trials and tribulations of D...more
Rob
This is a truly impressive story that is clumsily written. When the author stays on point and manages to contain his editorial bias, the story unfolds nicely and reads easily. Col. Day's story is incredible in every way and that alone keeps the pages turning, but there are too many ancillary stories spoken of or started, but never quite tied in or wrapped up; too many time warps where there's a sense of chronology that has been lost, but uncertainty about where or how. The underlying story never...more
John Ethridge
Bud Days life is truly remarkable and reading this book makes it crystal clear why he is the most decorated American military man alive and the most decorated Air Force officer in the history of the Air Force. This book does a good job of accounting the life of Bud Day. At times it is exceptional (such as when he is in Vietnam and a POW) and at times it is terrible, but mostly it is good. This is an easy to digest story that any patriotic American will enjoy and you are only likely to be offende...more
Carlton
In every dictionary there should be a picture of this man next to the words 'American,' and 'Patriot.' I'm willing to bet that 95% of the people I know have never even heard of him. Meanwhile, every year from December to March, we have an orgy of award shows including the Academy Awards. Every. Single. Year. I know the names of hundreds of actors, musicians, and artists. I can name maybe 5 CMH winners (and that is a lot, in this day and age). Colonel Bud Day should be a household name.
We honor...more
Jan
The story of Bud Day is fantastic. I thought Coram's other book, Boyd, was much better written. This is supposed to be a biography, but the author's own viewpoints are often in the forefront rather than Bud's.
William
True American Hero.
Roger
I wish we could make this mandatory reading for people who criticize how we treat captured terrorists, especially the liberal media. This validates that Jane Fonda and John Kerry should be tried for treason. Great reading for both military and non-military people. Thank God for people like Bud Day, John McCain and thousands of other military men and women. This also sheds new light on Ross Perot and how much he has done for our military people.
Liz V.
Not enough can be written in honor of Col. Day who gave exemplary service throughout his military service, most notably during his longest "tour" as a POW and then as a lawyer to preserve promised medical care.

On reflection, I down graded my rating to 4, as additional reading makes me wish Coram had devoted more space with better documentation of the swiftboat controversy.
Nicole
Dec 16, 2013 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I have met both Col and Mrs. Day and heard them tell some of the stories documented in this book. Col Day passing away on 27 Jul 2013 was the loss of a true American Hero. Mrs. Day is no slouch herself and a remarkable person.
This was an engaging book with an engaging story but you can't make up a story as good at the truth of Col Day's.
Michaelle
This was a very eye-opening book for me. I have so much respect for these guys and do think it's worth reading. I cried several times throughout the book because it was just so moving and amazing that Col Bud Day was able to accomplish so much and withstand such horrible torcher.
Christopher Duemmel

I read this book right after attending the survival school at Fairchild AFB and wanted to know more about this man. This book explains south more about where fast FAC came from and how Col Day became the legendary figure he was. I wish I could have med this man.
Brady
An interesting and well-written biography about a true military legend. Colonel Bud Day went through some amazing things in his life and I wish I could have met him before his recent passing. If you're in the military, add this to your reading list.
Elijah Mcstotts
Sep 23, 2007 Elijah Mcstotts rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who is in, or has family in, the military.
Amazing book on the life of one of America's least known heroes. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry. It even made a hardened Marine tear up. Bud Day is a legend that we should not forget.
Keith
Phenomenal book about a true American hero. Really sheds a lot of light on the Vietnam era, as well as the John Kerry presidential campaign.
Melyni
A true story of a man with courage, valor and a deep love for America. So many questions I've asked myself while reading the story of his life.
Andy
Jul 01, 2013 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 5-star
Hard to comprehend how such a man can come from such humble beginnings. Truly an inspirational story if I've ever read one. 5 FAT STARS!
Paul
Not that the reading was all that engrossing, but the subject of the book, the life of Colonel Bud Day, was inspiring and amazing.
Jason
Fascinating look at the courageous life of Bud Day. Unfortunately, it is written in the style of journalistic jock talk.
Talmage
I read this because it was on the it was recommended by the Chief of Staff of the Air Force and I wanted to be a stellar airman.
Relstuart
One of America's finest men. Sad that only a few people know about his life and what he sacrificed for us. Well worth reading.
Kelli
Great book. An extremely amazing person. Fast read. I couldn't put it down (but had to of course--kids!).
Chuck Hemesath
Great book about a fellow Iowan, Colonel Bud Day (Congressional Medal of Honor recipient)
Sasha Ulvestad
I'm completely speechless. What an amazing person!
Douglas
Amazing book about an amazing patriot. Must read.
L3ghost
Very good book! It was on the CSAF reading list.
Fred
Feb 12, 2008 Fred added it
2007
Crystal Holmbeck
Crystal Holmbeck marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Robert Coram is the author of three nonfiction books and seven novels. He lives in Atlanta.
More about Robert Coram...
Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War Brute: The Life of Victor Krulak, U.S. Marine Dead South Atlanta Heat Kill the Angels