Rhyming Dust Bunnies

Rhyming Dust Bunnies

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  3,564 ratings  ·  291 reviews
Bug! Rug! Mug! Hug! These dust bunnies love to rhyme. Well, except for Bob. Much to the other bunnies’ frustration, Bob can never get the rhythm right. Then he saves everyone from a big, scary monster wielding—gasp!—a broom, and they all breathe a sigh of relief. But can Bob save them from the big, scary monster’s next attack? Vrrrrrroooommm . . .
Published January 6th 2009 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Rhyming Dust Bunnies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rhyming Dust Bunnies

The Seven Natural Wonders Of The EARTH (My First Travel Books by Anna OthitisThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleSeven Wonders Of The WORLD by Anna OthitisMy First Fun Golf Steps by Anna OthitisA Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale Cummings
Best Toddler Books
53rd out of 272 books — 263 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
425th out of 1,174 books — 904 voters

More lists with this book...

Betsy
Jun 02, 2009 Betsy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Betsy by: Susan Pine
All right. That's it. I can't take it anymore. Could we please please PLEASE just get it over with and declare Jan Thomas some kind of national treasure / picture book genius? No, seriously people. I am not even kidding about this. I'm tired of the excuses. She killed with her debut What Will Fat Cat Sit On, slayed with A Birthday for Cow, and caused general carnage and delight with The Doghouse. I thought myself the expert of all things Thomas (Thomasian?) and then a fellow children's librarian...more
Tasha
Four bright-colored, hairy dust bunnies introduce themselves as Ed, Ned, Ted, and Bob. They rhyme together all the time. What rhymes with car? The first three bunnies join in merrily rhyming together, but Bob has other things on his mind. Ed, Ned and Ted are oblivious to what Bob is trying to tell them, chiding him for not rhyming. Their continued rhyming and Bob's refusal to play mixed with his growing desperation for them to understand will have everyone laughing. Classic vaudeville humor in a...more
babyhippoface
What kind of person thinks to make dust bunnies the heroes of a picture book? The kind I wanna hang out with, I'm thinkin'!

Jan Thomas is rapidly becoming one of my favorite authors of books for children, and I'd never heard of her before this year. What Will Fat Cat Sit On? kills me--one of my favorite super-fast read-alouds, The Doghouse is a crowd-pleaser when read with the right intonations, and now we have rhyming dust bunnies. Seriously? Yep.

Well, except for Bob, who is much more interest...more
Heidi
I love this! I love the bright colors, the humor, the rhymes, and that there is a dust bunny named Bob! Julie read this to us when the new books came in and I smiled with every page. Definitely a great lap read, and could probably work well in a storytime (perhaps a school age one, maybe also preschool).

And now I wish I had a few stuffed dust bunnies sitting around. Can I really be more pathetic and silly?

(Don't answer that. I know the answer already.)

3/27/13 & 3/28/13 Used this to begin my...more
Heather
My younger boys (6 and 4) think this book is the best book ever. At least for now. I've read it many a time to them. Good thing it's a quick read!

The illustrations are cute and the dialogue is funny. My boys especially love Bob, the poor dust bunny that can't seem to rhyme with the others, but does sense when danger is near. It's a good book for teaching rhyme. And it makes kids laugh.

I crack up every time I read it because my dad's name is Bob and for some reason I think it's hilarious when the...more
Cassandra
I think this is my 7 year old's favorite book of the year. And with good reason- it's pretty darned clever. We renewed our copy until the library threatened to revoke our book-checking out licenses, and now I expect I'll have to just go buy a copy because there is nothing quite like listening to my kids read it together and then dissolve into giggles (-that is when they are not arguing about who is going to read which part.)
Mary
Read this as an ARC at ALA (how's that for acronym-dropping?) and it was hilarious! I can't wait to use this in storytime. A great book to support phonological awareness, obviously, as there is a lot of rhyming (and not rhyming) in the story. Fred, Ed, Ted, and Bob are the most endearing anthropomorphized dust bunnies in print. Or are they the only dust bunnies in print?
Molly
I am joining the group of people who love this book. I laughed outloud made Lloyd read it he laughed out loud and I have been giggling about it in my brain all day long. I love these dust bunnies and want some of my own(ok I have some but they are not nearly as colorful). Ages 2+
Carrie
My three-and-a-half year old loves this book. He laughs hysterically at the end and then insists: "Read it again!"

It's a fun, silly story with lots of bright colors and a chance for my son to practice his rhyming skills. Lots of fun.
Kelly Borton
What a fun read aloud! It requires the teacher to use vocal variances to create energy and attention of the students. Four dust bunnies, each a different color, have fun thinking of rhyming words. Yet, there's one bunny that doesn't seem to think of similar sounds to created a rhyme. He is always saying something about a broom or sweeper. This is a fun, interactive book to use in Kindergarten to help the teacher identify the student's ability to manipulate letters into similar sound patterns (rh...more
Susan
It's no Birthday for Cow, that's for sure.
Dawn
Cute book for preschoolers.
David
Rhyming Dust Bunnies by Jan Thomas feature three rhyme- loving dust bunnies and a fourth who is more attuned to danger.

Thomas' illustrations were rendered digitally. Bright colors are featured, particularly red, blue, green and purple. The dust bunnies and word balloons are outlined in black. My favorite images are look, Look out!, Run for it, Ahh!, Good Call, vacuum cleaner, and the last 3 images.

A large font makes this a good read-aloud, and a fun beginning reader choice. The goofy characters...more
Michelle
In this playful book the reader is briefly brought down into the world of four brightly colored “dust bunnies” named Ed, Ned, Ted and…Bob, who have a penchant for rhyming. Jan Thomas’ dust bunnies are cartoon-like—with heavy lines, bold colors, and big eyes—their appearance reinforces the silliness of the subject matter; characters that are so caught up in the fun of making rhymes that they don’t notice anything else going on around them, except for poor Bob, who just can’t seem to figure out ho...more
Lizbeth Soto
Such FUN illustrations. Definitely a book that would catch children's attention and get them to know about rhyming words. Ed, Ned, Ted and of course Bob are four dust bunnies that rhyme everything. Unfortunately, Bob didn't get the memo. This books is hilarious and will go great as a read aloud to help children identify words that rhyme. Recommended for primary grades K-3

Diane
Ed, Ned, Ted and Bob --- we rhyme all the time. But Bob doesn't seem to get the pattern. Or is he seeing something that no one else is seeing? Like a broom headed straight for them! "Good call, Bob!" When Bob doesn't rhyme, danger lurks!

Such a fun little book with cute illustrations. Pair it with "Here Comes the Big, Mean Dust Bunny" also by Jan Thomas.
Kristy
Such a cute and original book! It provides lots of opportunity for dialogic reading, allowing kids to come up with their own rhymes. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because, though I thought the story was clever, the preschoolers I read to didn't seem to understand the humor.

Good for storytime.
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. The cover is VERY eye-catching.

Well, this was just a fun read! I'm rating it five stars, because my son ended up reading it with me the first time through. That was pretty exciting for both of us. The artwork was perfectly ridiculous, and ridiculously perfect.

Angel
Title: Rhyming Dust Bunnies

Author: Jan Thomas

Publication Date: Jan. 2009

Annotation:
Ed, Ted, and Ned are dust bunnies who love to rhyme. However, the fourth dust bunny, Bob, does not communicate in rhyme much to the dismay of the other dust bunnies. They narrowly escape the broom when Bob tries to save them of the broom using non-rhyming words. Can he save the dust bunnies from the vacuum?

Themes: rhyming, sight words

Ways to use the book with children:

Read aloud to primary grade children

Children c...more
Kristine Finocchario
Totally one of my kids's favorites. They have heard it a hundred times and still laugh out loud from the belly!
Tara
This book made my 7-year-old son laugh and laugh. He read it 4 times in a row. It is simple and short and silly.
John
Feb 10, 2014 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Cute. I think it will be better with an older kid (3 - 4 years) because they will get the humor.
Snorkle
This book cracked me up! The little dust bunnies were crazy and animated. The illustrations were fun and colorful. It's crazy to say, but there were even some twists in this picture book. I wasn't sure where it was going to go from the first couple of pages, but then when I picked up on Bob's proclamations I couldn't help but smile. The antics of the other dust bunnies and their rhyming ways were comical as well. I think kids will get a kick out of this book! I'd recommend.

*Taken from my book re...more
Linda
I can’t imagine anyone not breaking down into hilarious laughter after reading this, where the dust bunnies show the fun part of rhyming, all except Bob, who just cannot seem to get it right. He does save the day in other ways, however, so all ends up happily, just as it should be. This could be a good addition for poetry, easy to understand for younger readers, but it’s also a good example of laugh-out-loud silliness. The illustrations just enhance the story. They are bright, colorful and full...more
Patricia
So much fun! Rhyming with a twist (Look out! Look out doesn't rhyme with that!)
Annabella
This is one of David and Annabella's favorite books to read together
Julie
Funny, rhyming, appealing cartoon illustrations. We quote it often.
A wonderful spin on a rhyming text. Jan Thomas presents the dust bunnies, who enjoy finding rhymes for car and bug. But poor Bob, the blue dust bunny, skips rhyming to warn 'look!' and 'look out!' It's easy to forget that these charming rhymers are in fact dust bunnies until the broom and vacuum cleaner make an appearance.

While the vacuum cleaner sucks up the beloved bunnies, I believe that young readers will find the story fun and funny.

Recommended for kindergarten. This will make a wonderful...more
Yuhong Long
The story comes out to make us surprise
  • Jump!
  • Falling For Rapunzel
  • A Boy and His Bunny
  • Pouch!
  • Let's Do Nothing!
Lives in Socorro, New Mexico.
More about Jan Thomas...
Can You Make a Scary Face? The Doghouse Is Everyone Ready for Fun? What Will Fat Cat Sit On? A Birthday for Cow!