Start by marking “Rhyming Dust Bunnies” as Want to Read:
Rhyming Dust Bunnies

Rhyming Dust Bunnies

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,793 Ratings  ·  350 Reviews
Bug! Rug! Mug! Hug! These dust bunnies love to rhyme. Well, except for Bob. Much to the other bunnies’ frustration, Bob can never get the rhythm right. Then he saves everyone from a big, scary monster wielding—gasp!—a broom, and they all breathe a sigh of relief. But can Bob save them from the big, scary monster’s next attack? Vrrrrrroooommm . . .
Published January 6th 2009 by Beach Lane Books

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsBark, George by Jules FeifferClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninKnuffle Bunny by Mo WillemsI Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen
Favorite Funny Story Time Picture Books
58th out of 201 books — 142 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.A Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsDear Zoo by Rod CampbellThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
Best Toddler Books
57th out of 398 books — 367 voters

More lists with this book...

Betsy
Jun 02, 2009 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Betsy by: Susan Pine
All right. That's it. I can't take it anymore. Could we please please PLEASE just get it over with and declare Jan Thomas some kind of national treasure / picture book genius? No, seriously people. I am not even kidding about this. I'm tired of the excuses. She killed with her debut What Will Fat Cat Sit On, slayed with A Birthday for Cow, and caused general carnage and delight with The Doghouse. I thought myself the expert of all things Thomas (Thomasian?) and then a fellow children's librarian ...more
Tasha
Feb 05, 2009 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Four bright-colored, hairy dust bunnies introduce themselves as Ed, Ned, Ted, and Bob. They rhyme together all the time. What rhymes with car? The first three bunnies join in merrily rhyming together, but Bob has other things on his mind. Ed, Ned and Ted are oblivious to what Bob is trying to tell them, chiding him for not rhyming. Their continued rhyming and Bob's refusal to play mixed with his growing desperation for them to understand will have everyone laughing. Classic vaudeville humor in a ...more
babyhippoface
Jun 03, 2009 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
What kind of person thinks to make dust bunnies the heroes of a picture book? The kind I wanna hang out with, I'm thinkin'!

Jan Thomas is rapidly becoming one of my favorite authors of books for children, and I'd never heard of her before this year. What Will Fat Cat Sit On? kills me--one of my favorite super-fast read-alouds, The Doghouse is a crowd-pleaser when read with the right intonations, and now we have rhyming dust bunnies. Seriously? Yep.

Well, except for Bob, who is much more interest
Catherine
I love every single book by Jan Thomas!
Heidi
I love this! I love the bright colors, the humor, the rhymes, and that there is a dust bunny named Bob! Julie read this to us when the new books came in and I smiled with every page. Definitely a great lap read, and could probably work well in a storytime (perhaps a school age one, maybe also preschool).

And now I wish I had a few stuffed dust bunnies sitting around. Can I really be more pathetic and silly?

(Don't answer that. I know the answer already.)

3/27/13 & 3/28/13 Used this to begin my
Jan Polep
Jun 30, 2016 Jan Polep rated it it was amazing
Hysterical! Recommended for the preschool-third grade crowd (but any age will get a kick out of it), this small picture book is simply the best. Best 3 word title. Best depiction of dust bunnies. Best thing to read to bring on uncontrolled guffaws. Only thing that might be even better would be puppets playing all the parts. Gotta go find the rest of Jan Thomas' books.
Katherine Cowley
Oct 12, 2015 Katherine Cowley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, humor
This book made me laugh out loud. It is brilliant and hilarious. It loses the element of surprise after the first read, but not the charm. Also, every time one of the characters asks for a rhyme, I let me children give their own rhymes first, which they thoroughly enjoyed.
Ambree
Feb 17, 2016 Ambree rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Great book to use to support language development and knowledge of rhyming words.
Heather
My younger boys (6 and 4) think this book is the best book ever. At least for now. I've read it many a time to them. Good thing it's a quick read!

The illustrations are cute and the dialogue is funny. My boys especially love Bob, the poor dust bunny that can't seem to rhyme with the others, but does sense when danger is near. It's a good book for teaching rhyme. And it makes kids laugh.

I crack up every time I read it because my dad's name is Bob and for some reason I think it's hilarious when the
Laurie
Dec 21, 2014 Laurie rated it really liked it
Cassandra
Oct 24, 2009 Cassandra rated it it was amazing
I think this is my 7 year old's favorite book of the year. And with good reason- it's pretty darned clever. We renewed our copy until the library threatened to revoke our book-checking out licenses, and now I expect I'll have to just go buy a copy because there is nothing quite like listening to my kids read it together and then dissolve into giggles (-that is when they are not arguing about who is going to read which part.)
Mary
Read this as an ARC at ALA (how's that for acronym-dropping?) and it was hilarious! I can't wait to use this in storytime. A great book to support phonological awareness, obviously, as there is a lot of rhyming (and not rhyming) in the story. Fred, Ed, Ted, and Bob are the most endearing anthropomorphized dust bunnies in print. Or are they the only dust bunnies in print?
Molly
Feb 23, 2009 Molly rated it it was amazing
I am joining the group of people who love this book. I laughed outloud made Lloyd read it he laughed out loud and I have been giggling about it in my brain all day long. I love these dust bunnies and want some of my own(ok I have some but they are not nearly as colorful). Ages 2+
Jenda Marie
Jan 10, 2015 Jenda Marie rated it it was amazing
Once upon a time there was a girl and a girl there names are jenna & benna
They are going to the park to play with bark the dog they have so much fun next
Morning they go to the mall to go buy a ball to play in the pool they back home to take
A nap because there a tired for going a lot of places next the go again to there grandmothers house
Because they want to taste the cookies for dinner because they are very hungry they like
It very much because it taste so good they go to every mall are
Carrie
Feb 03, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it
My three-and-a-half year old loves this book. He laughs hysterically at the end and then insists: "Read it again!"

It's a fun, silly story with lots of bright colors and a chance for my son to practice his rhyming skills. Lots of fun.
Kathleen Tucker
Rhyming Dust Bunnies is a great way to introduce rhyming words to young children. Additionally, each of the dust bunnies has an individual though bubble so this book can also help children learn about conversations. The graphics and funny storyline about the dust bunnies being swept and vacuumed is also highly entertaining for young children. As such, I would probably read the text twice, once so the children could laugh at the story and get their "sillies" out, then once again to focus on the r ...more
Amy
May 09, 2015 Amy marked it as picture-books-read
Simple enough for a new reader, but even adults will enjoy it! Full review here: http://sunlitpages.blogspot.com/2014/...
Kelly Borton
Mar 11, 2014 Kelly Borton rated it it was amazing
What a fun read aloud! It requires the teacher to use vocal variances to create energy and attention of the students. Four dust bunnies, each a different color, have fun thinking of rhyming words. Yet, there's one bunny that doesn't seem to think of similar sounds to created a rhyme. He is always saying something about a broom or sweeper. This is a fun, interactive book to use in Kindergarten to help the teacher identify the student's ability to manipulate letters into similar sound patterns (rh ...more
Sarah George
Mar 16, 2015 Sarah George rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-selection
I'm not sure what kind of author could make dust bunnies likable characters, but Jan Thomas certainly did it. These rhyming bunch are too caught up with words to take dear ol' Bob's warnings seriously until they're almost swept up by a CLEANING MONSTER. And soon enough, they're sucked up by a vacuum cleaner, and instead of condemning Bob's input, they look for his help in order to escape. The vibrant colors make for child-like illustrations, which definitely keep your attention. It's a silly boo ...more
Amber Monasterio
Apr 18, 2015 Amber Monasterio rated it it was amazing
This book is a great book for kindergarteners or young students! Teachers can use this book to introduce rhyming words while simultaneously teaching students the joy of reading! The dust bunnies in this book use rhyming words throughout the book, but their is one dust bunny who never seems to be able to rhyme! At the end of the book, it turns out that this unique dust bunny ends up being the smart one! He saves them several times from cleaned away! This is a very funny book that will definitely ...more
Susan
Apr 07, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It's no Birthday for Cow, that's for sure.
Dawn
Jan 12, 2009 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Cute book for preschoolers.
Sara Bland
Apr 28, 2015 Sara Bland rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Another absolutely adorable book featuring the rhyming dust bunnies. Three of the dust bunnies are really great at rhyming, and when the fourth bunny starts to say things that do not rhyme they try to help him out. What they don't realize is that he is trying to warn them about the human that is trying to sweep them up! They end up in quite the conundrum. This book has great illustrations that really make the story pop. I would recommend this book to children who are in pre-k through 1st grade.
David
May 23, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Rhyming Dust Bunnies by Jan Thomas feature three rhyme- loving dust bunnies and a fourth who is more attuned to danger.

Thomas' illustrations were rendered digitally. Bright colors are featured, particularly red, blue, green and purple. The dust bunnies and word balloons are outlined in black. My favorite images are look, Look out!, Run for it, Ahh!, Good Call, vacuum cleaner, and the last 3 images.

A large font makes this a good read-aloud, and a fun beginning reader choice. The goofy characters
Michelle
Nov 27, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
In this playful book the reader is briefly brought down into the world of four brightly colored “dust bunnies” named Ed, Ned, Ted and…Bob, who have a penchant for rhyming. Jan Thomas’ dust bunnies are cartoon-like—with heavy lines, bold colors, and big eyes—their appearance reinforces the silliness of the subject matter; characters that are so caught up in the fun of making rhymes that they don’t notice anything else going on around them, except for poor Bob, who just can’t seem to figure out ho ...more
Eugenie
Nov 22, 2014 Eugenie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edu-511
NY, Beach Lane Books, 2009
This brightly illustrated rhyming picture book is fun to use in early elementary classrooms for rhyming instruction. It allows for easy student participation with many opportunities for rhyme production, as well as rhyme differentiation. It might be nice to include this in an author study with other books by Jan Thomas. Her trademark bold, simple illustrations are appealing to young students. It has silly humor to make rhyming fun. It could also be used to go along with
Suzanne
Nov 09, 2014 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
I brought in a HUGE dust mop with dust bunnies on it and explained what a dust bunny was. Each child got one! Then we read Jan Thomas's book. The bright pictures and big wording made the book fun. As the dust bunnies asked what rhymed with a word, students began to volunteer words that worked, and they were often the very words used in the book.

This is a fun way to practice or even introduce rhyming. As students left, they asked if they could keep their dust bunnies!:)
Hannah Goetze
Jan 31, 2016 Hannah Goetze rated it it was amazing
This book is very comical. It shows that a person may not be on the same page as everyone else but they have a meaning to what they are saying. In this book they are practicing rhyming words but one dust bunny is just not good at saying a rhyming word but instead he is good at doing something else. Throughout this book you are wondering what this special dust bunny is thinking but in the end you realize why he was completely wrong with rhyming words.
Sarah Ashburn
Jun 08, 2015 Sarah Ashburn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: language-play
This childrens book was great! I loved not only the reading but I loved the other illustrations. This is a very kid friendly book and it would work well with new readers. This book does a really good job with rhyming words. You could even extend the reading by having the students think about another rhyming word that goes along with the others that Bob could have used instead of saying "look out". Loved this book!
Kendal Ginnetti
Oct 16, 2015 Kendal Ginnetti rated it it was amazing
I think i enjoyed this book because of the colors. First of all, who would think of dust bunnies that can rhyme? I love it! I think the book can teach children new words along with silly words. Overall, the book is very cute and the author has to have such a good imagination because i would never think to write a book about dust bunnies! I would recommend this to all readers!
  • Chicken Cheeks
  • Let's Do Nothing!
  • There Are Cats in This Book
  • I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean
  • Maybe a Bear Ate It!
  • Billy and Milly, Short and Silly!
  • The Terrible Plop
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Pouch!
  • Cat Secrets
  • When Dinosaurs Came with Everything
  • Chickens to the Rescue
Lives in Socorro, New Mexico.
More about Jan Thomas...