Start by marking “The Adventurers” as Want to Read:
The Adventurers

The Adventurers

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  821 ratings  ·  27 reviews
He was born in a land of suffering, passion and brutality... and arose to manhood with the fearless heart of a killer and the searing sensuality of an unmatched lover. Diogenes Alejandro Xenos-'Dax'- became his country's most feared, and wanted, man.
Published June 1st 1995 by Buccaneer (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventurers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventurers

John and Kris
The Adventurers is a sprawling epic filled with sex, violence, political intrigue, more sex, more violence, and, amazingly after 800 pages, detestable one-dimensional characters.

I loved every page. The Adventurers is excelencia.

If I've done my math correctly a reader should be able to enjoy an erotic or violent episode on every fourth page.

The epic is told in grand and sweeping Books. For example, Book 1: Violence and Power, Book 2: Power and Money, and the final, Book 6, Politics and Violence....more
Zenei
Jun 15, 2011 Zenei rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Would Recommend
Recommended to Zenei by: Rated 4*
I read this book back when my taste was not so discriminatory, but remember liking it very much. I will need to read it again to see if I still like it as much. A few things stood out for me. One was DAX is such a unique character. You get to know him as he grows up into a very smooth international and sometimes dangerous man. You get to know his personality, like how quiet and thoughtful he is. You see the goodness in him dispite his very difficult upbringing. And his loyalty to the general say...more
Liz
Three words.

Diogenes. Alejandro. Xenos.

Growing up, my bedroom was the repository for all my mother's books - encyclopedias, Reader's Digest hardcover reference books, Grimm's Fairy Tales, and more. And on the top-most shelf was this beat up thick paperback missing its cover. At 12 years old, I climbed up to get this book, dusted it off and started reading.

The prologue starts with a rape and a murder. And I was hooked.

Way to start one's reading list, eh?
Karen
I read this back in the early 70s. It was a great read then and I'm sure it would be a great read now.
Krystal Armstrong
My all time favorite book!
Jana
Diogenes Alejandro Xenos (DAX) the main character is a mean sexy playboy machine. And he has it all; power, South America looks, authority, money, French Riviera, cars, all continents, well he has it all. He has brunettes, black, blondes, gingers, white, dark, tanned, milky skinned...

I would recommend this book because it is fairly well written. It is sincere and brutal, bit emphasised, but home heroes and playboys were like that (that kind are extinct species by now), especially if you come fr...more
Tom Currier
I don't often re-read books, but this is one I felt compelled to after finding it as an ebook for about $2. I loved this book, as well as most of Robbin's books; I've read most all of them probably beginning when each one came out. Many reviewers mentioned sex which I generally found a bit unrealistic... but then again.

This is a terrific story, which was always Harold's real strength. Sometimes predictable, but often not. Much edge of seat drama, Very difficult to put down, even reading again af...more
Pat Anderson
Robbins must have been in somewhat of a reflective mood when he wrote this book. The 'Epilogue as a Prologue' chapter sets a kind of tone for the rest of the story: all Dax's jet-setting, sexual adventures, polo playing and mixing with the rich and famous is, ultimately, worthless. The folk that tend to just focus on the sex in Harold Robbins's stories are more shallow than the characters they accuse him of portraying. The characters in The Adventurers are complex human beings. Sue Ann, especial...more
Skivvy Jones
Sep 01, 2014 Skivvy Jones rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who flew Pan-Am in the late 70's and early 80's
Brilliant and in its pulpy way a sort of Hamlet by way of Simón Bolívar and Túpac Amaru. "Dax" is one of the best male protagonists in modern literature. Multicultural and beautiful to behold in full flight.
Natt Cham
เรื่องแรกของ Harold Robbins ที่ได้อ่าน อย่างน่าประทับใจ ก่อนที่จะติดตามอ่านเล่มอื่นๆ ของนักเขียนท่านนี้
Myrene Songco
It took me 2 months to finish the book not because it's boring or it's not good. It took me that long because I didn't want to finish the book so soon. And it's not even legit to say I finished it in 2 months because the last 2 pages were tear off and lost and it took me another 6 years to read the last two pages and read the ending. It was worth the wait. Very heartbreaking story.
Leon Perlman
Goodreads rating 77
Stephen
De DAX, he no fight as passionately nor love de woman as intensely as de Concord Newfree. He fake little momma boy compared to de Concord Newfree. He not even get job clean my car.
Sinmara
Certainly a good story well told, not as naughty as I remembered it - but then I was 14 when I read it the first time and everything seemed a lot dirtier then than it is now!
Anne Payne
I read a number of sixties potboilers when I was in junior high and early high school. I knew even then they were extremely trashy, much as I might have enjoyed them.
Fatso Judson
I found The Adventurers to be spellbinding when I was 20 years old. Will give it another read 38 years later to see if it still has the same impact.
Lbaker
This was my sex ed book at age 13 - oh my!
Fast paced, sexy and entertaining - over the top to the point of silly sometimes, but oh my!
Chris Gager
More sex and violence from HR. The movie was pretty crappy. Fictionalized life of Porfirio Rubirosa. Date read is a guess.
Vanessa
hard core. i have to put it down to take a cold shower. :o) far too many times. Intelligent writing.
Dennis
Way too many characters that I forgot who's who most of the time.
John Polson
And for a while I wanted to visit South America - but never did!
Rupesh Goenka
A total Masala Book with everything.. Amazing Read
Ali Abtahi
کتاب مورد علاقه ی من در نوجوانی که دوبار خواندمش
Erik
such a long time ago, but still known
Rudy Haynes
Very Good story...
Jackie Simons
Read 6/01
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
S
S added it
Oct 19, 2014
  • The Glassblower's Daughter
  • Some Can Whistle
  • Other Women
  • The Art of Disappearing
  • Second Generation (Lavette Family, #2)
  • Every Day Is Mother's Day
  • Topaz
  • The Dolphin People
  • The Secret of Santa Vittoria
  • Marilyn
  • Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • Surf, Sea And A Sexy Stranger (Modern Heat) (Brothers & Sisters, #1)
  • Sourland
  • The Most Wanted
  • Blood and Bone
  • The Draycott Legacy: Bridge of Dreams & Enchantment
  • Miami Purity
  • Princess Daisy
32005
Born as Harold Rubin in New York City, he later claimed to be a Jewish orphan who had been raised in a Catholic boys home. In reality he was the son of well-educated Russian and Polish immigrants. He was reared by his pharmacist father and stepmother in Brooklyn.

His first book, Never Love a Stranger (1948), caused controversy with its graphic sexuality. Publisher Pat Knopf reportedly bought Never...more
More about Harold Robbins...
The Carpetbaggers A Stone for Danny Fisher The Betsy 79 Park Avenue Never Love a Stranger