Start by marking “The Adventurers” as Want to Read:
The Adventurers

The Adventurers

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  1,148 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
He was born in a land of suffering, passion and brutality... and arose to manhood with the fearless heart of a killer and the searing sensuality of an unmatched lover. Diogenes Alejandro Xenos-'Dax'- became his country's most feared, and wanted, man.
Published June 1st 1995 by Buccaneer (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventurers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventurers

Liz
Oct 12, 2012 Liz rated it it was amazing
Three words.

Diogenes. Alejandro. Xenos.

Growing up, my bedroom was the repository for all my mother's books - encyclopedias, Reader's Digest hardcover reference books, Grimm's Fairy Tales, and more. And on the top-most shelf was this beat up thick paperback missing its cover. At 12 years old, I climbed up to get this book, dusted it off and started reading.

The prologue starts with a rape and a murder. And I was hooked.

Way to start one's reading list, eh?
Zenei
Jun 15, 2011 Zenei rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Would Recommend
Recommended to Zenei by: Rated 4*
I read this book back when my taste was not so discriminatory, but remember liking it very much. I will need to read it again to see if I still like it as much. A few things stood out for me. One was DAX is such a unique character. You get to know him as he grows up into a very smooth international and sometimes dangerous man. You get to know his personality, like how quiet and thoughtful he is. You see the goodness in him dispite his very difficult upbringing. And his loyalty to the general say ...more
Jana
May 15, 2009 Jana rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Diogenes Alejandro Xenos (DAX) the main character is a mean sexy playboy machine. And he has it all; power, South America looks, authority, money, French Riviera, cars, all continents, well he has it all. He has brunettes, black, blondes, gingers, white, dark, tanned, milky skinned...

I would recommend this book because it is fairly well written. It is sincere and brutal, bit emphasised, but home heroes and playboys were like that (that kind are extinct species by now), especially if you come fr
Krystal Armstrong
Aug 10, 2011 Krystal Armstrong rated it it was amazing
My all time favorite book!
Karen
May 14, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
I read this back in the early 70s. It was a great read then and I'm sure it would be a great read now.
Tom Currier
Feb 26, 2013 Tom Currier rated it it was amazing
I don't often re-read books, but this is one I felt compelled to after finding it as an ebook for about $2. I loved this book, as well as most of Robbin's books; I've read most all of them probably beginning when each one came out. Many reviewers mentioned sex which I generally found a bit unrealistic... but then again.

This is a terrific story, which was always Harold's real strength. Sometimes predictable, but often not. Much edge of seat drama, Very difficult to put down, even reading again af
4triplezed
Dec 02, 2016 4triplezed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Robbins book came up in my feed. I recall this one only and enjoying it. Read 40 years back!!!!!!!
Brian
Mar 18, 2015 Brian marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-re-read
On my To Re-Read Pile:
I read this book in 9th grade. A the time, I had to read it when I could not get caught with it. Even though I had read other books by HR, THIS one was forbidden and vanished. When I found a copy in a used book store, I bought it and sneaked it home. So, I had to read it in 10 - 20 page installments.
It was brutal and bloody. As we were involved in Vietnam at the time, this book made it clear that war was NOT the sterile thing that the war movies and TV shows I had watched
Cateline
May 04, 2015 Cateline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Adventurers by Harold Robbins 4/5

To call The Adventurers great literature would be a misstatement, on the other hand to dismiss it as trash would be inaccurate and unfair. Published in 1966 it captures the "jetsetters" lifestyle with a political and revolutionary twist. The story follows the life and death of Diogenes Alejandro Xenos, and what a life it is. The reader follows "Dax" from the jungles of his native Corteguay (a fictional amalgamation of Latin American countries), to the Executi
Julie Bye
Feb 09, 2015 Julie Bye rated it really liked it
This tale of South American corruption is confronting in its graphic violence and sex. It captures the sense of futility of war and struggle against oppression. Starting at the end and then recalling the events that led to it, you find yourself trying to work out ways the main character can avoid his fate echoing the futility of his own struggle. I found this Harold Robbins novel much more compelling than his novel on prostitution. The world he writes about is not pretty and at first seem gratui ...more
Pat Anderson
Aug 05, 2012 Pat Anderson rated it liked it
Robbins must have been in somewhat of a reflective mood when he wrote this book. The 'Epilogue as a Prologue' chapter sets a kind of tone for the rest of the story: all Dax's jet-setting, sexual adventures, polo playing and mixing with the rich and famous is, ultimately, worthless. The folk that tend to just focus on the sex in Harold Robbins's stories are more shallow than the characters they accuse him of portraying. The characters in The Adventurers are complex human beings. Sue Ann, especial ...more
Mirela Smeu
Nov 30, 2015 Mirela Smeu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Un romanzo di formazione bellissimo. Un viaggio dal sud America, all'Europa, all'America, nei panni di un viaggiatore dalle molte qualità. Finire questo libro mi ha lasciato un incredibile vuoto dentro, come pochi ci sono riusciti. Una storia che ti prende e vorresti non finisse mai.

Acquistai questo volume in una bancarella ed è tra i volumi cartacei che custodisco con più cura da quando mi sono avvicinata al digitale. Uno dei pochi libri che rileggerei, solo per la gioia di sfogliare quelle pa
Myrene Songco
Dec 03, 2013 Myrene Songco rated it it was amazing
It took me 2 months to finish the book not because it's boring or it's not good. It took me that long because I didn't want to finish the book so soon. And it's not even legit to say I finished it in 2 months because the last 2 pages were tear off and lost and it took me another 6 years to read the last two pages and read the ending. It was worth the wait. Very heartbreaking story.
Diane
Jul 11, 2016 Diane rated it did not like it
Evidently this is some type of classic? While I would have loved to have finished and seen what happened, I could not stand all the rape. Not just rape, but the casual and almost constant character it was in itself. I'm not squeamish and I read a lot of hard core stuff, but I just could NOT.

3 hrs into the 24 hr audio book and I had already lost count of the assaults.
Skivvy Jones
Sep 01, 2014 Skivvy Jones rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who flew Pan-Am in the late 70's and early 80's
Brilliant and in its pulpy way a sort of Hamlet by way of Simón Bolívar and Túpac Amaru. "Dax" is one of the best male protagonists in modern literature. Multicultural and beautiful to behold in full flight.
Sue
Jan 20, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it
I read this probably 40 years ago and have always thought it was one of my favorite books. I just reread it and I did like it...did not remember any of it except Dax who I remembered as this hunky guy...I liked it very much.
Cathy
Apr 28, 2015 Cathy rated it it was amazing
I've read this book before and all I can say is that it's a very involved book , compelling, moving, gripping a real page turner. When I read, I somehow become the characters: like I'm in their fantasy, I become a different person with each new book I'm reading.
Chris Gager
More sex and violence from HR. The movie was pretty crappy. Fictionalized life of Porfirio Rubirosa. Date read is a guess.
Fatso Judson
May 17, 2013 Fatso Judson rated it really liked it
I found The Adventurers to be spellbinding when I was 20 years old. Will give it another read 38 years later to see if it still has the same impact.
John Polson
Jun 05, 2013 John Polson rated it really liked it
And for a while I wanted to visit South America - but never did!
Bob
Jul 19, 2016 Bob rated it really liked it
Shelves: old-paperbacks
I was young, it had sex and violence. I was captivated. The story was also excellent as best I can recall or else I may just have skipped over much of it.
Lbaker
Apr 20, 2011 Lbaker rated it it was amazing
This was my sex ed book at age 13 - oh my!
Fast paced, sexy and entertaining - over the top to the point of silly sometimes, but oh my!
Anne Payne
Sep 28, 2011 Anne Payne rated it did not like it
I read a number of sixties potboilers when I was in junior high and early high school. I knew even then they were extremely trashy, much as I might have enjoyed them.
Rupesh Goenka
Aug 07, 2012 Rupesh Goenka rated it liked it
A total Masala Book with everything.. Amazing Read
Rudy Haynes
Very Good story...
Stephen
Dec 09, 2012 Stephen rated it liked it
De DAX, he no fight as passionately nor love de woman as intensely as de Concord Newfree. He fake little momma boy compared to de Concord Newfree. He not even get job clean my car.
Leon Perlman
Aug 03, 2014 Leon Perlman rated it really liked it
Goodreads rating 77
Jackie Simons
Read 6/01
Dennis
Jan 10, 2009 Dennis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harold-robbins
Way too many characters that I forgot who's who most of the time.
Bob
Jun 01, 2016 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while you need a good old-fashioned trashy sex and violence novel to counterbalance the really classy stuff you normally read. Robbins fills the bill quite adequately.
  • Undrawn
  • The Glassblower's Daughter
  • Girl Mary
  • Ultimate Rush
  • The Writers' Conference
  • Other Women
  • Some Can Whistle
  • Love Letters from Cell 92
  • Dark Fires (Brandon-Morgan #2)
  • The Samson Effect
  • Every Day Is Mother's Day
  • The Art of Disappearing
  • The Secret of Santa Vittoria
  • Second Generation (Lavette Family, #2)
  • The White Dove
  • Lewis resa
  • Freedom Flyers: The Tuskegee Airmen of World War II (Oxford Oral History Series)
  • The Nympho and Other Maniacs
32005
Born as Harold Rubin in New York City, he later claimed to be a Jewish orphan who had been raised in a Catholic boys home. In reality he was the son of well-educated Russian and Polish immigrants. He was reared by his pharmacist father and stepmother in Brooklyn.

His first book, Never Love a Stranger (1948), caused controversy with its graphic sexuality. Publisher Pat Knopf reportedly bought Never
More about Harold Robbins...