Start by marking “Le Tao De Pooh” as Want to Read:
Le Tao De Pooh

Le Tao De Pooh

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  57,522 ratings  ·  2,142 reviews
The Wisdom of Pooh.

Is there such thing as a Western Taoist? Benjamin Hoff says there is, and this Taoist's favorite food is honey. Through brilliant and witty dialogue with the beloved Pooh-bear and his companions, the author of this smash bestseller explains with ease and aplomb that rather than being a distant and mysterious concept, Taoism is as near and practical to us
Published (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Le Tao De Pooh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Tao De Pooh

Stephanie
“Hello there! Aren’t you Winnie the Pooh? I’m a big fan.”

“Yes I am. How do you know me?” Asked Pooh.

“There have been many books written about you and your friends. The most recent one is about how you are a western Taoist.”

“Oh.”

“A western what?”

“Taoist” I said, “it’s very hard to explain, I’m no expert. In fact the whole book was about the author trying to explain it to you, and you would say “oh.”

“Oh.” Said Pooh.

“From what I understand you are an un-carved block.”

“Oh” said Pooh.

“An un-carved wh
ryan
May 02, 2007 ryan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone interested in taoism
I was sitting in a coffee shop recently with a young woman who described herself as a Taoist Pagan Pantheist. My first thought was, "what the heck is that?" Luckily what came out of my mouth was slightly more tactful, "describe that for me, I've never met someone who described herself that way" (Translation: what the heck is that!).

After we talked for a while, she recommended I read this book. So here's my synopsis - pretty fascinating book, actually. I'm looking forward to getting together with
Joe
I picked up this book because it seemed so charming. The author took the stories and characters of A.A. Milne and juxtaposed them with the Taoist teachings of people such as Lao Tzu.

Pooh as western Taoist starts off interestingly enough but halfway through it I came to the realization that it was making me want to just read the actual Milne, who was frankly probably a genius writer. Those were great books with great characters, each with their own type of intelligence.

Then about two thirds thr
Jon
Find this review at Scott Reads It

Recipe for Tao of Pooh
1. 1 cup of Eastern Chinese philosophy
2. 2 cups of Winnie the Pooh
3. 3/4 quart of wisdom
4. 3 Handfuls of fabulous drawings by Ernest Shepard
5. The key to Happiness
Mix them all together and you have the Tao of Pooh.

The Tao of Pooh is a book that I loved whole heartily. Basically as the title suggest it's a allegorical interpetation of A.A. Milne's characters in the world of Daoism or Taoism. Inside this slender novel you will find some o
Naomi
Oct 13, 2007 Naomi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like bears and ancient eastern philosophy
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick read, kept me entertained, and I feel like I actually grasped the general concepts of Taoism. That was accomplishing a lot because sometimes my borderline ADD brain can't focus on religion and philosophy books. It's not like I don't want to know. I do want to know. But it can't be helped what my brain does and does not respond to. Winnie the Pooh and funniness are two things my brain inevitably responds to. So intertwining those things with philosophy i ...more
Clint
I don't know what to say about this book that won't offend someone. It's like those Simpsons philosphy books, of something some modern professor tries to write to appear both profound and eccentric, living up to that professor image. Oh god books like this make me want to kill myself out of the shame I feel at being from the same planet as these people.
Bonnie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
A copy of The Tao of Pooh was provided to me by Tantor Media for review purposes.

"...the basic Taoism that we are concerned with here is simply a particular way of appreciating, learning from, and working with whatever happens in everyday life. From the Taoist point of view, the natural result of this harmonious way of living is happiness."

There are some things that I've accepted that my brain is just not built to understand. Calculus and Economics are a couple of examples
Riku Sayuj
Wonderful book! Must read for anyone interested in Taoism or even in plain simple living.
Macon Kennedy
The Defilement of Pooh

The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff is undoubtedly an interesting and alluring book with its method of introducing an Eastern sect of philosophy in a way that even children could understand the authors supposed ingenious way of incorporating the lovable childhood characters of A.A. Milne: Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore, and the others. Yet within the first few minutes of reading, I quickly realized that this is absolutely not the jovial bedtime reading to entertain the kids and enlighte
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
This is my favorite book to give as a gift. Benjamin Hoff has brought the loved characters from the 100 acre wood & explains principles Taoism in a way that is endearing as well as simplistic.

From the forward:
"What's this you're writing?" asked Pooh, climbing onto the writing table.
"The Tao of Pooh" I replied.
"The how of Pooh? asked Pooh, smudging one of the words I had just written.
"The TAO of Pooh," I replied, poking his paw away with my pencil.
"It seems more like the OW! of Pooh", said
Weinz
Some how when it comes from the guileless mouth of a tender hearted bear happiness and contentment in life seems so simple. Hoff does an amazing job of bringing his readers Eastern philosophy from the point of view of endearing characters that we've all grown up with. Its message of simplicity and peace was like a vacation for the soul. I recommend this one to anyone who needs a break from the every day grime we all have to deal with.

My only grief was the watered down version of the Eastern Rel
Patrick
The Way that can be spoken of is not the one we tread.

These are Lao-Tse's opening words. The great mistake of course is that we do speak of it, and write of it, and attempt to pontificate upon the nature of all things as though an understanding of the Way entailed an understanding of all things. It is rather that an understanding of the Way encompasses all things. To understand, to judge, to see the faults in one and not the other is a common mistake in the interpretation of various Buddhist an
Dylan Olson
(Sorry Tyler)
On premise alone, this book opens with great momentum. In the first 21 pages, Hoff successfully illustrates his idea that A.A. Milne's character, Winnie the Pooh, is a great literary embodiment of the teachings of Lao-tse. Well done. Directing attention to the parallels between Eastern and Western philosophy is not an altogether original idea. Fritjof Capra accomplishes the very same thing with greater skill, detail and poetry in his book, The Tao of Physics. Hoff's arguments are s
♠shane
I love this book. Taoism is a diffacult concept to wrap your mind around and it couldn't have been made any simpler than it has been in this book. It's got some great stories in it by itself and all of the characters make great examples of the classic personality types you bump in to in everday life. I can't count how many times i've bumped in to an Eore driving home from work or walking down the street. A must read for anyone struggling with the concept of toaism. I'd also recommend The Te Of P ...more
Byron
Nice. Short. Accessible.

p20. Uncarved Block = simplicity and naturalness
"When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun."

p24. The Learned
"The wise are not learned; the learned are not wise." - Lao Tse

"A well-frog cannot imagine the ocean; nor can a summer insect conceive of ice. How then can a scholar understand the Tao? He is restrict
Angie Libert
I feel like I understand my beloved Pooh Bear better now. :) I always knew there something powerfully special about him! Now, I want to be even more like him.
Cody
While the book did a good job of tying the work and characters of A.A. Milne to Taoist philosophy, it ultimately was little more than a child's primer in Taoism. As many have noted, the philosophy was a bit off and much was not exactly carried through. It was a mildly interesting read, which lost my attention several several times (it took months to read because I kept finding excuses to put it down). Still, it was an interesting idea and carried out effectively enough, I just don't know how I f ...more
Max Gallimard
"A fly can't bird, but a bird can fly".

When a philosopher gains knowledge, he writes a thesis, when he gains wisdom, he writes a book for kids, when he gains Nirvana (literally - a state of "no wind"), he writes The Tao of Pooh.

This is the cutest allegorical explanation of Taoism I’ve ever seen. The simplicity of the writing is striking. The transparency of thoughts is surprising. The naivety of the characters is adorable.

Basically, only Pooh, that lucky bear, can embody the principle idea of
Leanne Holitza
I love this book! I love the metaphors and thinking. We can all use it for perspective.
Heather
This was a book that I picked up when I first started studying Taoism. Although Hoff’s essential explanations of the philosophy’s nuances aren’t completely explained by Pooh and his friends, the author does a good job providing a basic jumping-off point for anyone new to the study of Taoism.

Using the old familiar pop-culture icon, Hoff is able to take a sometimes confusing and certainly complex philosophy and make it more accessible to the masses. Sure, it’s not perfect. And if you are a seriou
James
I have mixed feelings about this one. On the positive side, the book emphasizes the need for simplicity and peace in a fast-paced modern world, for accepting things as they are rather than frantically pursuing things that are not.

However, the author's positive message is undermined by his negative attacks on things of which the author disapproves. He condescendingly dismisses other philosophies and religions (e.g., Buddhism, Confucianism), using unfair straw-man characterizations of their teachi
Bosh
What should be a charming and thoughtful analysis of Pooh Bear through a Taoist lens ends up being a rambling polemic by a bitter man who obviously has a ways to go before he achieves inner peace. While he does use Pooh and company as a jumping off point, Hoff ends up spending much of the book railing against business people, lawyers, academics, and everyone else he deems a "Busy Backson". Even scientists are Busy Backsons, because their discoveries only lead to more questions. Hoff's ideal is a ...more
Janie
Why I read it:
- I'm an old fan of Pooh semiotics; I miss my Bear of Very Little Brain; A friend I love loved it;

What to eat with it:
- Something pickled! (Alternatively, there's always honey.) My favorite new, not-Pooh material was The Three Vinegar Tasters allegory. I find the distinctions drawn between Buddh-, Tao-, and Confucianism to be enlightening. I may use this as my book for the Edible Book Festival. (Don't steal my idea. I'll get my sous chef to whip you with udon al dente.)

Who it's for
Monk
Nov 23, 2007 Monk rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Aspiring Taoists, Philosophers
With as much love as I have for the translation of the Tao Te Ching I stick by, there are concepts which lack definition that can leave you wondering about certain aspects of the Tao. Some could just use a little nudge, a push to help one on the way to understanding.

One whould not expect A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh to come in and herald the solutions to the Tao's mysteries, but then again, you'd be surprised.

The Bear of Little Brain is used as an example of the simple life - how much more basic
Bethany Andrews
A friend of mine suggested I read this book, and I have to say I'm glad I took her advice. That said, its tough to explain this book aside from saying, it just is.

The novel gently exposes the reader to the truths of Taoism by refrencing the unique and profound qualities of A.A. Miline's character Winnie the Pooh. As I read, I was thrilled to realize just how much the characters truly reflect the principles of Taoism. The novel is a quick and easy read, in which you are jetted back to your childh
Brian Jo
I dove into this book without much thought. I didn't read any reviews, or think about what type of book I wanted to read. I followed my good friends, Khalil and Karl's recommendations and just DID. After finishing the book, I was mildly surprised at how much I enjoyed this novel. The author presents the basic principles of Taoism through the stories and dialogues of our favourite bear, Pooh. This odd but strangely effective communication method in which the author delivers his message really cap ...more
Crystal
This little book took me by surprise. It was very entertaining and insightful. It shares much of human nature captured and communicated by the beloved characters of A.A. Milne. In my opinion it is worth the short time it will take to read it.
Melinda Lee
OK for all of you lover's of Classic Winnie the Pooh... Oh my gosh!!! This book is charming, charming and more charming! In a way only Pooh can do! Here is a tidbit. I just must.
"Let's go see everybody," said Pooh. "Because when you've been walking in the wind for miles , and you suddenly go into somebody's house, and he says, 'Hallo, Pooh, you're just in time for al ittle smackerel of something,' and you are, then it's what I call a Friendly Day."
Here is too Friendly Days and Goodreads!

I have quite a mess of mixed feelings about this book. Which, for a less-than-24-hour-read filled with darling Winnie the Pooh illustrations, is actually pretty neat.

Deconstructing philosophical principles using children’s cartoons seemed like a fabulous idea at first. But then I found myself wanting much less Tao and much more Pooh. I had to marathon some Winnie the Pooh YouTube videos after I finished reading just to level out my brainwaves. Totally not Tao of me, I know.

Anyway…

This book re
  • Pooh and the Philosophers: In Which It is Shown That All Western philos Is Merely Preamble Winnie Pooh
  • The Tao of Inner Peace
  • The Wisdom of No Escape: And the Path of Loving Kindness
  • The Teachings of the Compassionate Buddha
  • The Diamond Sutra and the Sutra of Hui-Neng
  • Awakening the Buddha Within: Eight Steps to Enlightenment
Benjamin Hoff is an author based in the United States. The two books he is proud of are The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet. Hoff has an essay online:
http://www.benjaminhoffauthor.com/ This is the only website he has officially endorsed or been involved with.

More about Benjamin Hoff...
The Te Of Piglet (The Wisdom Of Pooh) Tao of Pooh and Te of Piglet Boxed Set The House on the Point: A Tribute to Franklin W. Dixon and The Hardy Boys Way to Life The Singing Creek Where the Willows Grow: The Mystical Nature Diary of Opal Whiteley

“Do you really want to be happy? You can begin by being appreciative of who you are and what you've got.” 477 likes
“Lots of people talk to animals...Not very many listen though...that's the problem.” 201 likes