Start by marking “The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully” as Want to Read:
The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully

The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  2,007 ratings  ·  31 reviews
If you are a consultant, ever use one, or want to be one, this book will show you how to succeed.With wit, charm, humor, and wisdom, Gerald M. Weinberg shows you exactly how to become a more effective consultant. He reveals specific techniques and strategies that really work.

Through the use of vividly memorable rules, laws, and principles -- such as The Law of Raspberry Ja
Published January 1st 1985 by Dorset House Publishing Company, Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets of Consulting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets of Consulting

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillGood to Great by James C. CollinsGetting Things Done by David Allen
Best Business Books
67th out of 529 books — 895 voters
The Innovator's Dilemma by Clayton M. ChristensenFlawless Consulting by Peter BlockThe Secrets of Consulting by Gerald M. WeinbergThe Lords of Strategy by Walter Kiechel IIIBlue Ocean Strategy by W. Chan Kim
Best on Consulting
3rd out of 121 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

The author has been a consultant since age 13, when he worked at a local supermarket as a substitute stock boy, noticed that no one was buying the rutabagas, and suggested to the produce manager that they be thrown away, and their shelf space be utilized for something with greater turnover. The produce manager told Weinberg that this was a great idea, did as he was told, and asked him, "Now, what is the least popular vegetable?" Weinberg learned the lesson for good: if a consultant solves the cu ...more
Sergey Teplyakov
Этот тот редкий случай, когда мои ожидания от книги не оправдались.
Прочитав первую главу я был просто в абсолютном восторге! Вся глава в заметках, столько мыслей и эмоций! Автор не просто жжот, он познал мир, корпоративную культуру и явно узнал ответ на вопрос Вселенной и всего такого.

Но дальше что-то пошло не так. Да, законы консалтинга применимы в жизни, они интересны, из них можно почерпнуть чего-то полезного. Рассказанные истории поучительны, хотя возможность применения на себе немного сомни
A quick read and actually pretty utilitarian. Weinberg has that peculiar sense of humor of older "systems" (i.e. computer science) guys - an unhealthy love of puns, alliteration, riddles, goofy parables, etc - but it doesn't interfere with the clarity of his messages. This is not "consulting" as a methodology or a framework akin to what one may expect from a McKinsey or HBS alum. By his own description Weinberg sees the role of the consultant less as a problem solver and more as a "jiggler"; som ...more
One of the best and most enjoyable business books I've read. Certainly on my top 10 list.

I came across this in some IT book club -- it was a $30 paperback and I was aghast. Have since probably bought and given out 50 copies (Gerry, you can send thanks) to engineers, auditors, and others who need to bring humor and sense to situations.

It has sayings: "Things are the way they are because they got that way." Remember it.
Sergey Shishkin
Very thought provoking and humorous book. Although it leaves the reader with more questions than answers it definitely contains numerous advice on the subject. I only wish I read it before I started to be a consultant.
Michael Richardson
Worth reading for everyone involved in business.
This book is a very quick read because it is a bunch of ProTips smashed together. I had a co-worker tell me that this is a book from the point of view of an old school consultant. I think the consulting work I will be doing will somewhat relate to what Weinberg has written, but it will also be more structured as well.

(view spoiler)
Feb 14, 2008 Jason rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with jobs
Recommended to Jason by: Bill Caputo
Shelves: library
This one was recommended to me years ago, but I only got around to reading it last December. It looks like a very specific topic, but I would recommend this to anyone who has to deal with other people for work in any way. That probably includes most people who have jobs. A lot of it is common sense, but it's presented in a way that help you remember those insights when you need them. The copy I read was from the library, but I now own a copy for myself. This is one of those books that one would ...more
Bibhu Ashish
Why do consultants fail?How do I become a consultant of repute?What are the skills needed to become a consultant? If these and some other questions come to your mind when you think of consulting as a career,here is the book that should be really helpful.In a simple and lucid way the author has drawn upon his rich experiences and the daily lives' chore to make the reader understand the intricacies of becoming a successful consultant.
Good read
Jake McCrary
I finally got around to reading this book. I'd recommend it to others who are in positions to give and take advice. Is someone asking you for help with something? It might be worthwhile to read this book.

This could have been a pretty dry book. It isn't. The stories, puns, and alliteration all make its lessons memorable.

Its short and might teach you something. Its worth a read. I'll be dipping back into this book.
Bill Glover
Mar 24, 2009 Bill Glover rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs to work with and influence others.
Shelves: technical, business
A book can only do so much, but this book is the closest thing I've ever seen to a howto guide to consulting. A person could do some good, and make a very comfortable living just following Carl Weinberg's advice. This is especially useful for technical consultants.
Henrik Mårtensson
This is a very honest and forthright book about consulting. It is also quite funny.

It's not just a book for consultants, but also for people who use the services of consultants. I think I can get the most mileage out of it if I can entice my clients to read it.
Tim Ottinger
Looks like a lot of advice given in a very approachable and brief format. Lots of insight into human interactions, and not a lot of fluff and sunshine. It is one of two Weinberg books I currently own, and I'm realizing that two is not nearly enough.
Tim Andersen
This book is a gold mine of information that condenses many years of the author's experience into an entertaining and straightforward collection of short stories, tips, and techniques. A must read for anyone considering consulting.
I consider this book essential reading for anyone who wants to make changes in an organization. This is also one of the books that I use in training ScrumMasters. I've read it half a dozen times and keep a copy at home and a copy at work.
Alexander Trofimov
If something going wrong, probably it's you. If it's not you then it's definitely other people. But never tools or situation.
Read and check yourselves.
Poorly written with self evident consulting half-truths like "don't make any promises" and "it takes years to earn clients' trust but moments to lose it". Gee thanks.
Essential reading for every consultant, this book is also a fun read. I learnt a lot fo things, and I'll never see the the job of a consultant the same way now.
This was one of the excellent books assigned to us in a class taught by Fred Brooks. It has wide application and is fascinating reading.
Read this book if you are new to consulting, otherwise you may already know much about what you may find here.
Ignacio Ahumada
Very easy to read. Good advices regarding prices, trustworthiness, and recommended books in the end.
Very quirky and entertaining. There are some good tips in here for consultants.
Mike Gifford
Was very useful & definitely thank MCR for lending it to me!
Darrin Holst
A must read even if you never do any consulting. Good stuff.
Richard Slater
Essential reading for any consultant!
Well worth reading.
  • Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course in Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • Principles of Statistics
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
  • The Unwritten Laws of Business
  • The Halo Effect: ... and the Eight Other Business Delusions That Deceive Managers

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
I've always been interested in helping smart people be happy and productive. To that end, I've published books on human behavior, including Weinberg on Writing: The Fieldstone Method, The Psychology of Computer Programming, Perfect Software and Other Fallacies, and an Introduction to General Systems Thinking. I've also written books on leadership including Becoming a Technical Leader, The Secrets ...more
More about Gerald M. Weinberg...

“Words are easy to change, but don't accomplish much.” 0 likes