Start by marking “The King with Horse's Ears and Other Irish Folktales” as Want to Read:
The King with Horse's Ears and Other Irish Folktales

The King with Horse's Ears and Other Irish Folktales (Folktales of the World)

Storytelling is one of Ireland’s oldest and grandest traditions, and these vivid tales of far-off days will introduce young readers to the country’s irresistible folklore. Here are brave warriors with superhuman skills, monster dogs with blazing eyes, fairy folk and leprechauns, and the magical land of Tir na nÓg. Author Batt Burns grew up with these beloved characters and ...more
Published February 3rd 2009 by Sterling

Be the first to ask a question about The King with Horse's Ears and Other Irish Folktales

Amanda
Mar 07, 2017 Amanda rated it liked it
This is not an award winner and is for grades 4-8.

This is a collection of Irish folktales that seem to focus mostly on magical types of characters. Fairies, leprechauns, and charm setters name a few of the types of characters in these stories. Unlike others, there don't seem to be any lessons taught by these stories, it seems like they are more for fun than anything else.

These were entertaining stories but I think they are a bit long for younger readers. I do like how they circle around these ma
Carissa M
Sep 03, 2012 Carissa M rated it really liked it
The King with Horse's Ears has a total of thirteen enchanting folktales. Out of the thirteen my three favorites are "The King with Horse's Ears", "Fionn Mac Cumhail and the Fianna of Ireland", and "The Boy and the Pooka". "The King with Horse's Ears" was one of my favorites because the story of the King and his embarrassment of being born with horse ears where he would go to the extent of killing barbers so they would not tell his dark secret to the people. I love how at the end the widowed moth ...more
Ancestral Gael
Why did I read it? I've always enjoyed fairy and folk tales and this collection appeared several times in recommendations on various book sites.

What's it about? It is a collection of tales remembered from the fireside telling by the author's grandfather. An eclectic collection of magical creatures, and characters from old Irish myths illustrated rather sparsely by Igor Oleynikov.

Contents: “Back from the Fairies”; “The King with the Horse's Ears”; “Fionn Mac Cumhail and the Fianna of Ireland” “Th
Treasa
Apr 09, 2010 Treasa rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous collection of Irish folktales! Batt Burns, a professional seanachie, writes the stories in such a way that I could almost hear him telling them to me as I read them. The selection of stories is wonderful, ranging from old, traditional Irish tales to ones that Burns himself has made up. The stories don't shy away from bad things happening, which is extremely refreshing.

Burns also does a wonderful job of giving source information for each story at the back of the book and sugges
Marissa García
Mar 12, 2014 Marissa García rated it really liked it
This is well-done collection of thirteen Irish folktales. Burns begins with an introduction detailing his personal ties to storytelling, and the rich oral storytelling tradition of his home country of Ireland. He includes some information on his research and the origins of the tales he chose at the end of the introduction, but the bulk of that information is contained in the source notes in the back of the book, which are informative but still each concisely written. There is also a glossary at ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
An outstanding collection of Irish folktales, some of which I've read before as picture books, including the title story. My favorites are the scary "The Boy and the Pooka," the eerie "The Lost Island of Lonesome Seals," and the sad, haunting "Oisin in the Land of the Young." Igor Oleynikov's illustrations are perfect for the tales--I love the picture of the king with his horse's ears. I'd love to hear these read aloud by someone with an Irish accent. I must read more books in this series. Highl ...more
Katie Haynes
Nov 18, 2015 Katie Haynes rated it really liked it
This book was especially interesting to me because I am fascinated by Irish culture. I love Irish accents and music, and I have always wanted to visit Ireland. This book was just a fun read to me. I also think it would be great to use in a mid-level English class when learning about folktales. Since I am going to teach mid-level English, I really enjoyed getting to read and think of ways I could use this in my classroom!
Heather
Jun 15, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
Some of the stories I really enjoyed, but others condensed portions of the action so thoroughly that the stories were hard to follow and boring. (Which is too bad, because I know the original stories are not boring!) Still, it is a helpful addition for kids who think that all Irish stories involve leprechauns. (They don't.)
Rochelle
Jan 22, 2015 Rochelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I actually met the author. He was a delightful Irish chap who had lovely tales to tell.
Tom Normile
Sep 28, 2016 Tom Normile rated it it was amazing
My six year olds keep asking me to read them stories from this book. The LOVE the title story.

I am Irish so maybe I am a bit biased
Anya
Got it because of the illustrator, haven't read it yet, but looking forward to it.
Megan
Mar 15, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it
An excellent peice of work! This book is insightful and magical, full of fantasy. It certainly made me nostalgic for Ireland and increased my love of all things Celtic!
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2014
Wilder
Wilder rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Colleen Ford
Colleen Ford rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2017
Renee Brown
Renee Brown rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2016
A Seton Wood
A Seton Wood rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2012
Kelleen
Kelleen rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2015
Jessie Yang
Jessie Yang rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2015
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2011
Dennis Maney
Dennis Maney rated it really liked it
May 31, 2013
Kayleen Burke
Kayleen Burke rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Alex
Nov 15, 2009 Alex rated it really liked it
Though a children's book it is a great read.
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2013
Bobby
Bobby rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2015

Folktales of the World (3 books)
  • The Hungry Clothes and Other Jewish Folktales