Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels

Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  839 ratings  ·  233 reviews
The Love That Dare Not Speak Its Name...

We do it in the dark. Under the sheets. With a penlight. We wear sunglasses and a baseball hat at the bookstore. We have a "special place" where we store them. Let's face it: Not many folks are willing to publicly admit they love romance novels. Meanwhile, romance continues to be the bestselling fiction genre. Ever. So what's with

Published April 14th 2009 by Touchstone

Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareBlood Promise by Richelle MeadHunted by P.C. CastEvermore by Alyson Noel
Books for 2009
273rd out of 578 books — 2,387 voters
Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis CarrollEverything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'ConnorBeyond Heaving Bosoms by Sarah WendellEast of Eden by John SteinbeckTo Sail Beyond the Sunset by Robert A. Heinlein
Crossing Barrier(s) in Fiction Titles
3rd out of 54 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Tammy
Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels is a hilarious and intelligent examination of the romance genre. It includes a brief history of the genre. An overview of commonly used tropes, plots, and cliches'. A comparison of Old Skool vs. New School, complete with flowchart. And predictions for future trends.

It's full of the snarky humor and clever insights that I expected, as well as serious essays and citings to famous works in the field of romantic academia.

It also cont...more
Eastofoz
Nov 16, 2009 Eastofoz rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Readers who want to know about the general history of the romance novel
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Tammy
Shelves: non-fiction
Lots of talk about this book being rip-roaringly funny which it is -- some of the time. The “humor” gets a bit too crass and over the top more than once leaving you rolling your eyes saying ‘ok enough already’, but that’s all subjective and I’m sure there are people who love that kind of stuff. For me it was sort of like that 15 year old boy toilet humor that just gets old after you’ve heard it 25 times from the same 15 year old boy. That was one of my biggest “problems” with the book. Apart fro...more
seton
The good news is that for lovers of the Smart Bitches blog, it's the same irreverent snarky humor that we all know and love.

The bad news is that these are not blog posts but a book. And the book has a bit of a multiple personality.

There are games.
There are serious essays on the cultural aspects of all things in Romance Reading History with lots of citings to famous essays in the field of academic study of romances.
There are lists.
There are more games.
There is cover snark.
There are intervie...more
FlibBityFLooB
4.5/5 stars. This was an inane and silly guide to romances, albeit immensely funny at times. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, but I was pleasantly surprised to find myself laughing so hard I had tears at a few points. On the other hand, the humor in this book is definitely not for everyone, and it can be downright juvenile at certain points.

There was lots of surprises to this book. In addition to literary analysis, there was mad-libs, choose your own adventures, board games, coloring, and...more
Karla (Mossy Love Grotto)
Aug 09, 2010 Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: people who love new romance over old
Meh. Maybe I'd have appreciated it a bit more if I was into the current romance trends and all that. I find the SMTB blog of erratic interest at best, anyway (omg, just shut up with the epub techno wankfests). The snark got old, and the same authors and titles mentioned over and over didn't show much breadth of opinions and options. In the end, it all seemed pretty narrow and shallow.

Plus there's the difficulty I have staying interested in ANY humor-based book. Not that I don't love the lulz, bu...more
Michelle R.
5 stars, if you like that sort of thing. :)

This is an awesome book for romance novel fans or readers The Smart Bitches, which would be a huge overlap.

For critics of the genre and people who just don't get it, I imagine it's educational and might make them come away with a better upstanding, but this is -- first and foremost -- for readers in-the-know.

Why does it make a reader's heart go pitter-patter when a book is mention that she's read? Even more so when the book is praised. Since there are...more
Kathrynn
Enjoyed the humor of the two authors throughout Beyond... They poked fun at the world of romance books (writing and reading) and justified the same. I found my eyes rolling at their less than stellar critique of the earlier romance books. Man, did they hit that bulls eye dead on.

The authors provide numerous book samples--made me realize how few books I've actually read. Neat interviews by Nora Roberts, Lisa Kleypas, Emma Holly and a few others.

This would be an excellent "source" book for someo...more
Gaijinmama
Oh my gods, I kept getting weird looks from my family and from strangers on the train and in coffee shops because I kept snorting and giggling and guffawing all the way through this book!

Hats off to the Smart Bitches, these ladies not only made me laugh but also made me think, and more than once they made me shout, "Hells, yeah!" I particularly liked their strong stance against plagiarism and racism in the romance genre, and their sharp observations about the Seriously Screwed Up (but occasional...more
Sherwood Smith
This book had me cracking up so hard I nearly fell off my chair a couple of times. I did wish it delved more deeply into just what is so satisfying about romance reading for such an enormous variety of women across generations and socio-economic strata, but they are generous with mentions of more scholarly books, and in short, it's a delightful, in-your-face dare to diss romance just because women write it and read it.
Cynthia
I read it straight through, and some parts dragged, but it was fun overall. So much was on the mark.

Also, I don't really care what parts were boring, because you get the feel that the authors know and love the genre as much as you do (or the person that forced you to read the book does), so it's more like listening to your smart, bitchy, wordy (and often hilarious) friend ramble.

Parts I liked:

1. Old School vs New School flowchart - comprehensive and amusing

2. Summary of Old School was interesti...more
Damon Suede
A sassy, savvy overview of romance as a popular genre. This book is based on the authors wry and much-trafficked website, but stretches beyond its online origins to become a kind of unpretentious, digressive lit-crit. Hilarious, informed, and consistently entertaining, this book is a must-read for anyone who loves the genre but maintains a sense of humnor about its excesses and unintentional in-jokes.

Marvelous.
Sheila
Apr 24, 2009 Sheila rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Shannon , Shelley, thefourthvine,
My poor roommate. I keep sending her texts and emails saying things like, "I bought four new books today! ...I'm sorry?" I'm supposed to be catching up on my TBR shelf (shelves), but--it's a clever, hysterically funny, profanity-filled book on romance novels! I finally found it at a local bookstore today, grabbed it and a Mother's Day present for my mom (hi, mom) and a random Regency, and read it tonight after finishing The Millionaire's Inexperienced Love-Slave. (It seemed only appropriate.)

Now...more
Lee
I'm new to reading romance novels and I admit that I avoided anything that was even remotely marketed as "romance". Over the past few years, I've learned to distrust marketing genres and to stop judging books by their covers. The authors very delightfully play fun with all the "joys and woes of the genre", including the cover art. There are "Mad-Lib" style, fill-in the blank stories, a flow chart to help guide you through the differences between "Old Skool vs New Skool" romance novels, and a hel...more
BJ Rose
I joined a challenge to read the books discussed in this book, so my main purpose in reading this book was to get a list of the books. I liked the way the authors traveled through the history of the romance genre, putting book titles in to emphasize each point. I felt the authors gave a good history of the genre, and some of the information was presented in a serious way. Much of the book was entertaining in a silly way, but there was way too much vulgarity for this reader! However, I did get my...more
Jessi
As a romance reader since my tween years, I truly appreciated this book. I was definitely a closet reader through my time as an English major, but I discovered a passion in myself to protect the reading preferences of all people in library school. In particular, I was influenced by a class I took about genre fiction, in which we had to read a book from each of the major genres. Many of the other library students were a bit on the snobby side against romance, and it was really the first time I st...more
Meg
I've long been an admirer (in a snort your coffee out of your nose sort of a way) of the "Smart Bitches Trashy Books" blog, so I was thrilled to find Beyond Heaving Bosoms in my Christmas Stocking. If you're look for an academic examination of the romance genre this book is not it. If you're looking for a reference work written by sharp, sincere and wickedly witty fans who are both passionate champions and open-eyed critics, look no further.

Written by two romance fans for romance fans, Beyond H...more
Tez
I can handle some of the sub-genres, but as a whole romance doesn't work for me. Not just because of the books, but also because of some of its Special Snowflake fans who like to play victim about how the romance genre is persecuted, or prejudiced against, or whatever. And thus they get so defensive. CHILLAX, PEOPLE!

I like the Smart Bitches, Sarah Wendell and Candy Tan, because unlike a lot of romance bloggers they don't absolutely fangirl over every romance book they read. They're quite forthco...more
Heidi
Smart Bitches, Trashy Books is one of my favorite blogs, and I'd been meaning to read this book for quite a while: I'm so glad I finally found the time. As usual, the Smart Bitches are profane and laugh-so-hard-your-drink-comes-out-your-nose funny, but more than that, they are smart, feminist, and right-on-the-money. Beyond Heaving Bosoms reviews the history of the romance genre, from "old skool" 1970s-80s era romance with its "alphole" heroes (alpha/asshole) who invariably rape the heroine so...more
Elizabeth
A hilarious read from the ladies at Smart Bitches, Trashy Novels, a new favorite website of mine. They do an excellent job of providing a very humorous overview of the history of romance novel. They make no apologies for loving romance novels and do a good job of debunking common complaints and concerns about the genre.

A few things bothered me at times, however.

* The constant use of cute little phrases like "man titty." The book has a very "insider" feel to it (as does the website). Crisp, hu...more
Angela
If like me you're enough of a romance fan that you enjoy a periodic romance novel, yet you like a hefty dose of snark with your lovin', then you should absolutely pick up a copy of Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels. This is the beloved child of Sarah Wendell and Candy Tan, better known as Smart Bitch Candy and Smart Bitch Sarah over at Smart Bitches Trashy Books.

What do you get if you look past the heaving bosoms? A fairly decent overview of the modern romance gen...more
Trin
The authors’ blog, Smart Bitches Trashy Books, is consistently entertaining; this book is...almost that. I liked the discussion of the history and evolution of the romance novel, but I wish there had been more analysis and less repetition. I also wish, well, that I could share more easily Sarah and Candy’s enjoyment of the genre. This really has nothing to do with the effectiveness of this book, but man. As much as I like the Smart Bitches blog, and as much as I enjoyed parts of this book, I sti...more
Niki
smart bitches who run the blog that turned into this book often give the books they review C's. the list of A and B ratings is pretty small, so i don't want this 5 star to seem meaningless and like one girl giving other girls a good rating for getting their "babies" published. this really is a good book.

the authors strive to defend the genre to those who also enjoy the genre. their witty banter is enjoyable, and their breaking down of the romance genre useful when looking at the ways cultural ti...more
Cynthia
Great book about romance novels.

The authors are witty, irreverent and never take themselves too seriously. Their langage is somewhat colorful but it's so much fun : wang of mighty loving is an exemple!
Also, the chapter names : chapter cleavage (introduction), chapter corset (on the heroine), chapter codpiece (on the hero),...

I couldn't help laughing out loud at what I was reading. So much so that people asked me what it was.

But it's not only funny, it's insightful and teaches us a lot about this...more
Chris
"Written with humor, irreverence, and an obvious love for the wide wild world of romance novels, this book is hellagood snarky delight. Ranging from serious to silly and back again, the Smart Bitches reveal (pun intended) and revel in the genre's excesses. It was a damn fun read, with enough insightful critical bits to keep things interesting. Plus there are coloring pages! A Choose-Your-Own-Ending Romance with paranormal, Regency, pirate, and contemporary paths! Mad-Libs! Controversy! And even...more
Lara Amber
A hilarious read for anyone familiar with romance novels and full of surprising facts (that romance novels basically pay for the rest of the publishing industry) and snarky comments about the genre. It's a honest look by people who love the books, but don't think they are perfect. It's a good quick weekend read and will definitely make you laugh aloud.

Sia McKye
If you love to laugh, you're going to love this. So far, lots of laugh out loud moments and "I can't believe she said that..." I'm really enjoying it. Much of what is said is pithy and irreverent but there is a great deal of truth. Actually, I am surprised at how much knowledge about the romance genre is here. I'll let you know more when I finish it.

Pancha
An overview/exploration of the romance genre. In a lot of ways it was a very smart dissection of what makes romances so popular and why reading them doesn't reflect badly on your IQ. But I would have preferred the quizzes and choose your own adventures and mad libs to appear in a appendix at the back of the book rather than peppered through the text.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
I have just started this book but it's intense strong foul language is turning me off. For instance, on page 7 they write...utter shittastic fuckcakes of crap. Humorous yes, but that doesn't mean I want to read 291 pages of language like this. I hope the book improves enough to overcome language like...cuntmonkey.
Tammy Walton Grant
Absolute required reading for anyone who reads romance novels - especially hystericals (er, I mean, hisTORicals). These bitches are concise, snarky, HILARIOUS, smart and they really know their romance. Awesome read.
Jill Myles
Hysterical - the Choose Your Own Adventure and the chapters on Heroes and Heroines are absolutely a must read. Well worth the cover price.
Shy Town Girls 1 3 Jul 28, 2013 05:17PM
  • Dangerous Men and Adventurous Women: Romance Writers on the Appeal of the Romance (New Cultural Studies)
  • Shelf Discovery: The Teen Classics We Never Stopped Reading
  • Reading the Romance: Women, Patriarchy, and Popular Literature
  • On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells
  • More Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason
  • So Many Books: Reading and Publishing in an Age of Abundance
  • The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Beowulf on the Beach: What to Love and What to Skip in Literature's 50 Greatest Hits
  • The Legend of the Werestag
  • Deadly Doses: A Writer's Guide to Poisons
  • Jane Austen's Guide to Good Manners: Compliments, Charades & Horrible Blunders
  • My Lord and Spymaster (Spymasters, #3)
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • The Case for Books: Past, Present, and Future
  • The Readers' Advisory Guide To Genre Fiction
  • 1001 Books for Every Mood
  • Five Seasons of Angel: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Vampire
  • One Good Reason
Sarah Wendell is a transplanted Pittsburgher currently living in New York metropolitan area. By day she's mild mannered and heavily caffeinated. By evening she dons her cranky costume, consumes yet more caffeine, and becomes Smart Bitch Sarah of
Smart Bitches, Trashy Books. The site specializes in reviewing romance novels, examining the history and future of the genre, and bemoaning the enormous pr...more
More about Sarah Wendell...
Everything I Know About Love I Learned from Romance Novels