Start by marking “Interviews and Encounters with Stanley Kunitz” as Want to Read:
Interviews and Encounters with Stanley Kunitz

Interviews and Encounters with Stanley Kunitz

4.54 of 5 stars 4.54  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In these interviews, conducted for the most part by leading young poets, we are given the full range of his thinking, his passion and wisdom, his private and public concerns. This book will be kept close at hand by young poets as a survival kit. Others who care about poetry and the life of the imagination will read and re-read this book to clear the head. Publishers Weekly ...more
Published January 1st 1993 by Sheep Meadow Press

To ask other readers questions about Interviews and Encounters with Stanley Kunitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Interviews and Encounters with Stanley Kunitz

Trianna
Louise Gluck on Stanley Kunitz, her teacher of five years:

"As the myth contends, I wrote to please him... But the advantage in trying to please Kunitz was immense: what he wanted was to be surprised...His voice became that of my own mind that has been, since childhood, the tireless drill sergeant saying 'move, move,' but in his voice concrete criticism substituted for mortification: where my own mind says 'you are a fool to have hoped,' which produced anguish and justified laziness, Kunitz's voi
Julene
Jun 29, 2008 Julene rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all poets
Recommended to Julene by: Elizabeth Austen
The quote I used at the front of my book Case Walking comes from this book: "We have to fight for out little bit of health. We have to make our living and dying important again. And the living and dying of others. Isn't that what poetry is about?"
Stanley was a wise man, a poet who knew his own song, and this book shares his wisdom and stories. There is much to be learned here, much wisdom.
Pewterbreath
It doesn't matter if you like his poetry, or poetry at all--this interview is fascinating, if only because Kunitz has lived so incredibly long, and his writing life has eclipsed several generations. His thoughts are very concise and interesting, and the format of this book invites reading. Very well done.
Michael
This was a fascinating review of a book by a very fascinating man and poet. His own man...formed by his own experiences - which he makes clear throughout these interviews. His stubbornness as well as his sense of wonder are evident here. And so is his brilliance.
Julene
Dec 24, 2008 Julene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poets
Recommended to Julene by: Elizabeth Austen
This book is so rich, Stanley Kunitz has lots of wisdom to share in this amazing book of interviews. I savor this book, it is full of underlines (in pencil!). I love his writing about writing more than his poetry and I do like his poetry.
JTL
JTL marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2012
Nathaniel Westmoure
Nathaniel Westmoure marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2012
Joshlynn
Joshlynn marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2011
Cornelia Prescott
Cornelia Prescott marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2011
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2011
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2010
Doug
Doug added it
Mar 01, 2009
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2008
Jayne
Jayne marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2008
Lesley
Lesley marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2008
God Breaketh Not All Men's Hearts Alike: New & Later Collected Poems Songs of Imperfection A History of Color: New and Selected Poems Trilce New and Selected Poems 2006