Start by marking “The Case of the Stinky Socks” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Stinky Socks

The Case of the Stinky Socks (Milo & Jazz Mysteries #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  85 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The high school's star pitcher is missing his lucky socks, and his pitching is going to pieces! Can detective duo Milo and Jazz find the thief - before the big game?
Published January 1st 2009 by Kane Press (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Stinky Socks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Stinky Socks

John Parker
Mar 07, 2009 John Parker rated it it was amazing
“The Case of the Stinky Socks” is an aromatic mystery that will be enjoyed by young readers that discover the Milo & Jazz Mysteries series recently introduced by the Kane Press.

The enjoyment is sure to last beyond the life of the book because the readers are exposed to some rather interesting illustrations that capture the investigative process. These illustrations, coupled with the activities at the end of the book prepare kids to seek out and unravel the mysteries in their own world.

The my
Connie
Apr 28, 2011 Connie rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-mystery, 2011
I had somehow overlooked this great mystery series for emergent readers. After seeing it recommend in an article recently, I picked up book 1 and was pleasantly surprised. Great fun for the Easy Chapter book crowd as they try to solve the mystery of the missing lucky (but stinky!) socks along with Milo and Jazz! The humorous storyline and illustrations will also keep them interested and make them want to continue reading the series. To further stretch their sleuthing skills, mini-mysteries are a ...more
Katrina
Jul 20, 2009 Katrina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 8-12 Year Olds, Detective Stories
Shelves: mystery, easy-readers
A fun, easy-to-solve mystery, readily identifiable young detectives, and some extras readers will enjoy. The short chapters, written in a large typeface, are punctuated by pen-and-ink illustrations of better quality than those often seen in series books. Even kids who aren’t sports-oriented will enjoy flexing their detective skills here and in the second installment in the series, The Case of the Poisoned Pig. The story cleverly ends with new materials from Dash Marlowe, offering additional oppo ...more
Barb Middleton
I'm fishing for transitional readers that don't put me in a slack-jawed Friday night daze. Not easy. This type of book is designed to have a simple vocabulary and plot, but frankly, choices are slim. I find many of the series boring and flat. Harpoon me an interesting character, a bit 'o humor, and some depth and I'm a happy gal. Milo & Jazz succeeds in these areas and I was pleasantly surprised by a good story.

Milo gets a spy kit at home and proceeds to try and figure it out in a klutzy wa
Shayla Stevens
I thought this short chapter book was great! I personally loved reading mystery novels and solving different puzzles and such when I was younger (I still do) and I know that there are other children who enjoy the same things that I did. The story is relate-able because it discusses new friendships, exploring your interests, and learning through hands on experience. My favorite part about this book series is that at the end of each book, there are mysteries and puzzles for the reader to solve.
Dolly
Oct 08, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the first book in a fun new series that teams up a boy (Milo) and a girl (Jazz) to solve mysteries. Although Milo is reluctant to join forces at first, he discovers that they work well together as a team. We liked the characters and the story, although it strayed a bit into high school boyfriend-girlfriend relationships, which is not really necessary for the intended audience. In any case, our girls were entertained and we loved the logic puzzles and brain teasers at the end of the book. ...more
Paul Peterson
Dec 10, 2013 Paul Peterson rated it it was amazing
This book was an accidental pick that I discovered while my 5-year-old and I were visiting our local suburban library. It was on a spinning rack of paperbacks and my son enjoyed the phrase, "stinky socks" in the subtitle. We checked it out and I read it to him over a few nights before bedtime.

Milo (a male) and Jazz (the female) are friends and detectives in training who like to solve cases together. Sometimes they call on the help of Dash Marlowe, a real-life private eye. In this story, Milo and
Beth
Oct 17, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it
The first book in this series is stronger because the characters have not sunk into a familar routine. Milo resents Jazz for assuming she's his dectective partner, but slowly realizes that she's got good ideas and a level-head. Also, she helps him find his first case.

I read one of the later books, and all friction is gone. I know these are uber-cozy 3-4th grade mysteries, but without some degree of interpersonal conflict, there's not much a story. Just solving the mystery feels flat. (to be fai
Amber Johnson
Feb 07, 2014 Amber Johnson rated it really liked it
Quick, fun mystery for early readers or reluctant readers.
Aug 24, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction to mysteries for the age 7ish group, this gets an extra star for the puzzles in the back. This earned a rare 5 star rating from Nate, and an even rarer non-5 star review from Alex (4 stars because he doesn't like mysteries). Nate is excited to read more in the series and we spent a lot of time discussing motive - what it is, how you can use it to solve mysteries.

Dessert was ice cream for this book group meeting.
Kate
Feb 11, 2013 Kate rated it liked it
Transitional readers will enjoy this clever mystery about neighbors Milo and Jazz, who don't always get along but who work well together to figure out what happened to Jazz's brother's lucky socks. Although I wish the story had been told from Jazz's perspective instead of Milo's, this is a title I'd recommend to fans of Cam Jansen and other transitional mystery series.
Ms. B
Aug 24, 2013 Ms. B rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, mystery, 2013
Fun, mystery story about two young detectives, Milo and Jazz, who infiltrate a high school boys locker room to find Jazz's older brother's pair of missing socks. The setting doesn't seem particular modern (the teenagers hang out at the local malt shop, the head waitress is named Beulah); see no reason why any of this will bother young chapter book readers.
Laura Salas
Apr 04, 2012 Laura Salas rated it really liked it
Children's Literature Project
Oct 29, 2013 Children's Literature Project rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Lexile Measure 500L.

Milo reluctantly decides to let Jazz partner with him to solve a case. Dylan, the baseball pitcher's stinky, lucky socks have been stolen. Milo and Jazz use their logical thinking and investigating skills to catch the thief.

This book is great for 2nd grade and teaching a lesson on investigating.
Kristine Hansen
I like the kids learning to be detectives and the use of logic to solve the case. I was kept guessing on this one. And I really enjoyed how they solved it. The puzzles at the back of the book were an added bonus. Great all the way around! I'll read more. :D
Allison
Aug 22, 2012 Allison rated it really liked it
LOVED IT! Great kick-off for a 2nd-3rd grade mystery series. Mile and Jazz team up (against Milo's wishes at first) to solve a mystery, a disgusting mystery surrounding a pair of lucky and STINKY (P.U.) socks!
Sheri
Oct 26, 2009 Sheri rated it really liked it
This is a series new to Kane Books similar to the Nate the Great, Cam Jansen, and other easy reader middle grade books. Most the readers I have selected them for are 2nd - 4th grade students.
Melanie Au
SImple, straight forward , fun mystery. Has "super sleuthing strategies" -- activities for reader to practice detective skills at end of book.
Sydney
Nov 15, 2013 Sydney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i like how they solved the mystery of the stinky sock. they are actually lucky because they help jazz's brother pitch well.
Karen
Aug 09, 2011 Karen added it
Quick read and just ok. Book is about a school's baseball team,the "lucky" socks and jealous teammates.
Kathy
Jul 01, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it
2-4th grade. Clever ending, yet believable for the target age.
Stephanie
Nov 27, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it
A clever and fun mystery series.
Jose Morales
Jun 16, 2013 Jose Morales rated it it was amazing
i`m going to get the whole series ...more
Shannon
Lily
Lily added it
Apr 08, 2016
Nathan
Nathan is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Milo & Jazz Mysteries (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Case of the Poisoned Pig
  • The Case of the Haunted Haunted House
  • The Case of the Amazing Zelda
  • The Case of the July 4th Jinx
  • The Case of the Missing Moose
  • The Case of the Purple Pool (Milo & Jazz Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Diamonds in the Desk